Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
I ordered the OEM one a couple of days ago and it's arriving next week. If it's too small, I'll return it.
SW-Motech sounds like a good one to consider.

I've also been using the S-W Motech EVO Daypack, which is expandable from 5 to 9 litres (approx 10.5 to 19 pints).

As FeralRdr said earlier "The SW-Motech system has the bottom of the tank bag sitting about a 1/4-1/2 inch above the fuel tank. So long as you have the release cord secured to the bag (via a snap), no part of the tank bag will touch a painted surface.".

The base-plate fitted to the bottom of the bag can be drilled so that it can sit either further forward or backward as needed.
It also has very handy net pockets on both sides (inside) for small odds and ends.
The top lid has a separate, zippered pocket where I keep the, so far unused, raincover with some life essentials (stubby holder, bottle opener/cork screw and tyre pressure gauge).

Reactions: BladeRunner-N7MX
I've also been using the S-W Motech EVO Daypack, which is expandable from 5 to 9 litres (approx 10.5 to 19 pints).

As FeralRdr said earlier "The SW-Motech system has the bottom of the tank bag sitting about a 1/4-1/2 inch above the fuel tank. So long as you have the release cord secured to the bag (via a snap), no part of the tank bag will touch a painted surface.".
[...]

The base-plate fitted to the bottom of the bag can be drilled so that it can sit either further forward or backward as needed.
It also has very handy net pockets on both sides (inside) for small odds and ends.
The top lid has a separate, zippered pocket where I keep the, so far unused, raincover with some life essentials (stubby holder, bottle opener/cork screw and tyre pressure gauge).
Oh, By the way, like all good usable tank bag that has a good capacity, they are quite thick.
Does it block your view of the dashboard in any way?

Thanks for posting these! Pics are always of great help when trying to imagine and determine sizing with respect to the bike

I just (today) ordered the Pro Micro tank bag. As soon as it comes in, I’ll post some pics as well to give others a general idea for comparison.

Oh, By the way, like all good usable tank bag that has a good capacity, they are quite thick.
Does it block your view of the dashboard in any way?
View to the dashboard is fine - I've got the bag set fairly well back on the tank.
It's also positioned for mounting my phone on the steering head if I want to.

Here is the SW-Motech Pro Micro Tank Bag. I have it mounted as far FORWARD (away from the rider seat) as it will go.

The last two pics have a standard 13oz aerosol can inside it showing just how small the inside is. I can JUST barely zip the lid shut with this can in there.

I am overall pleased. It’s suitable for keys, garage door opener, papers, phone, glasses/sunglasses, a rag or two, and possibly even a small toolkit.

My KQR panniers also arrived today. Depending on my needs, I may go ahead and also spring for either the Daypack tank bag or the Sport tank bag (also SW-Motech). But for now, this Micro is perfect

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Tire
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting White Automotive tire
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle
Hood Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

If I were to complain about anything really... It would be nice if there was some way they could form-fit the bottom of the bags to the tanks, so as not to look like its hanging off a ledge (see first pic). I realize these are made to be universal across a multitude of bikes, and not all gas tanks are shaped the same... I get it. But, they could have incorporated an angle adjustment on the baseplate (one that you set and tighten), such that you could pivot the bag forward or backward as needed. Or maybe some sort of inflatable skirt... I dunno. Minor complaint, I'm still very pleased with it.

A few things to note regarding installation of the ring itself... (Others who opt to get the Pro Tank Ring may understand the instructions better than I did... I think I just got ahead of myself and should have slowed down a bit).

1. The two OEM Phillips screws holding the gas cap to the OEM ring are NOT meant to be re-used on this installation. They supply Item #2 below (metric bolts) for their ring. I didn't pay attention and screwed the OEM Screws into their ring. The threads are completely different. I backed out the OEM Screws and replaced with their bolts and thankfully was able to get them threaded back in securely.

2. Item #7 - pay attention them them. They are threaded on the inside, and one side of the sleeve has a hex-head on it. They are meant to be screwed on two tiny little pegs on the base ring (Item #4) that stick up through the top ring (Item #3)

3. Their instructions basically say to used threadlock on everything. When first removed the entire OEM cap & ring from the gas tank, the 4 OEM bolts (which ARE re-used) didn't have threadlock on them. As such, I opted NOT to use threadlock on them, but I did on every other bolt.

White Body jewelry Line Font Audio equipment

Returned the OEM one and bought the SW-Motech.
SW-Motech has a lovely design. Everything felt high quality, except for the weird #7. I broke one of the pegs because I screwed it too tight. sigh
I got the DayPack and I think it's a little small for long distance trip. I'll use it for my CBR.

I've placed a new order for another Pro mount for my CBR1000RR and a Pro City for the Ninja.

The wonderful thing is that:
  • SW-Motech's branch in the US is in Portland, Oregon; so, shipping via UPS Ground gets to me in less than 2 days
  • I can switch the bags among my bikes as long as the base mount are all Pro mounts.

Oh, and don't forget to apply some Loctite on the bolts for the mount, as recommended by SW-Motech.
With all the road vibrations, these are going to be easy to get loose.

Hi all,
Would appreciate your views and recommendations for a tank bag for 2020 1000SX,
Hi all,
Would appreciate your views and recommendations for a tank bag for 2020 1000SX,

kind regards,

Steve
I just want to show some pics of my new sw motech pro daypack.
Head Tire Fuel tank Vehicle registration plate Green

Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Camera accessory Automotive design Cameras & optics

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Attachments

I just want to show some pics of my new sw motech pro daypack.
I am in the market for a tank bag and this looks like it fits all my requirements - Sweet thanks for posting

Reactions: Henkgib
I cannot for the life of me see how the Evo rings will fit on the 2020 tank. I've just purchased a 2020 1000 SX with 700 mi. on it. I assume that it still has a stock tank ring but I am not sure.

Did anyone's tank look like this before they installed the SW Motech Evo tank ring?
Automotive tire Helmet Vehicle Alloy wheel Rim

The rings that were sent to me have holes that align with the silver part of the pic above but I do not have holes there. They are beneath the gas cap.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Vehicle brake Gear

Here are the rings I received. The site says that they should fit but I don't see it. Has anyone with a 2020 started from here and ended with a ring-mounted tank bag?

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Audio equipment

Your ring would fit on my older bike, but the new cap looks different than what I have. I'm not sure when this new cap was introduced.

If you are using a tank bag, be sure and buy some of the paint protection film from eBay. I like 3 m Venture shield.

You can't see it once it's applied, so it doesn't have to be cut in an exact manner. It's hidden.

I've used a magnetic tank bag for over 10 years and my tank looks new. No scratches. No damage . Here's a pic of the old cap. I don't think your ring will work on this new cap.
Jewellery Auto part Automotive tire Metal Fashion accessory

Reactions: Spurber
Your ring would fit on my older bike, but the new cap looks different than what I have. I'm not sure when this new cap was introduced.

If you are using a tank bag, be sure and buy some of the paint protection film from eBay. I like 3 m Venture shield.

You can't see it once it's applied, so it doesn't have to be cut in an exact manner. It's hidden.

I've used a magnetic tank bag for over 10 years and my tank looks new. No scratches. No damage . Here's a pic of the old cap. I don't think your ring will work on this new cap. View attachment 33683
Thanks for the prompt response. I've jumped don't on the phone with SW-Motech and they have sent me a .pdf with a part that looks like you switch the lock mechanism to one of their rings that uses the bolts inside of the tank and provides the external bolt pattern that their rings are looking for. I will update the thread when I have all the facts.

Cortech 18liter expandable. Can of visor cleaning spray, wipe rag, hat, couple bottles of drinking water, spare eyeglasses, pouch with misalliances items and wallet. Just a couple items I carry with me.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.