Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the Givi 4 liter Tanklock bag. It is just big enough for a hat, glasses and a few misc. things. Givi has much larger bags, but I find that the 4 liter is the perfect size for daily riding. Also, with the design of the tank, much larger than 4L would get in the way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a great magnetic Teknic bag, which is no longer in business. I think the best value now would be with Cortech, Nelson Rigg, Chase harper or Joe Rocket? The cycle gear brand Sedici is a good value also, but I don't know what you can get in Italy.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a great magnetic Teknic bag, which is no longer in business. I think the best value now would be with Cortech, Nelson Rigg, Chase harper or Joe Rocket? The cycle gear brand Sedici is a good value also, but I don't know what you can get in Italy.
Thanks for your suggestions

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've always preferred tank bags that use a ring attachment. I have a small magnetic tank bag that I used very occasionally on bikes I don't happen to have a ring for, and just about every time I use it, I ended up with some mark on the paint at the attachment points.

I used Cortech Dryver bags for the longest time, till they discontinued the line and rings are getting scarce. I have switched over to the SW Motech Quick Lock system since. I have the EVO Micro. Converted my Dryver small to the SW Motech mounting system too. Actually works quite well.

I ride with a top case, so the tank bag is just for small items I want quick access to. A small one works well for me.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I bought this 18L strap bag for my Buells many years ago. Wreck ripped one of the front straps off but I still use it on the Ninja. When expanded it can hold a lot, which is quite helpful with temps are all over the place. It's also quite comfy to lay on.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Have you considered at tailbag that sits on the pillion seat? I like that they sit behind you and are less of a distraction. Nelson Rigg makes a nice tailbag which comes in three different sizes and are expandable.

Reactions: Steve

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I've ended up with the quick-lock tank bags for my needs. I've gone with Givi's 15L bag. After a lot of years with strapped and magnetic bags I finally got tired of all the take off/put back at every gas station and the enevitable rub marks and scratches on the tank. Their smallest bag wouldn't fit my essentials of face shield cleaning stuff, first aid kit, camera and tea mug so I ended up with the 15L. Easily adjustable forwards and backwards and good visibility of the instrument cluster.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the ring mounts will work on the 2020 since they eliminated the exposed bolt heads.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've ended up with the quick-lock tank bags for my needs. I've gone with Givi's 15L bag. After a lot of years with strapped and magnetic bags I finally got tired of all the take off/put back at every gas station and the enevitable rub marks and scratches on the tank. Their smallest bag wouldn't fit my essentials of face shield cleaning stuff, first aid kit, camera and tea mug so I ended up with the 15L. Easily adjustable forwards and backwards and good visibility of the instrument cluster.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the ring mounts will work on the 2020 since they eliminated the exposed bolt heads.
SW Motech has a ring for that. EVO Tank ring for Kawasaki Models (16-) - SW-MOTECH

BMW has switched to a similar "hidden" screw tank cap surround too. Fortunately, both my K1600GT and N1k have the older style with exposed screws, so I didn't have to buy new rings. That is the biggest disadvantage with the SW Motech EVO system... the rings are %$#@! expensive. I lucked out and found a used Kawi ring on ebay. The older BMW ring I needed was being phased out so I was able to buy it at clearance price off Twisted Throttle.

Reactions: kenors

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Good to know. I checked Givi's site (since that's what I have) and they haven't done this yet. I've used the same ring on my '11, '14 and now '18. After crashing the '11 the tank bag was ripped completely off the base but the ring was fine. I screwed the base back on the bottom of the bag and all was good except for a bunch of scuffs on the bag.

After the ease of using tanklock bags it'd be hard to go back to straps and magnets...

Reactions: Volfy

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m not sure if they are still available but I’ve had a Rapid Transit Recon 19 for years. It works and can make a nice rest pillow on the long days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
399 Posts
Is there something wrong with the OEM tank bag?

·
Registered
216 Posts
There's probably nothing wrong with it, but I myself prefer tank bags that attach via a tank-ring such as the ones mentioned above from Givi and SW-Motech. Every tank bag I've owned with straps has ended up scratching the paint of the fuel tanks I mounted them on. Tank film would have probably prevented the scratches, but at the time I wasn't aware of its availability.

As for myself, I've been using an SW-Motech EVO Daypack for several years now, and it hasn't scratched either of my N1K's fuel tanks. The SW-Motech system has the bottom of the tank bag sitting about a 1/4-1/2 inch above the fuel tank. So long as you have the release cord secured to the bag (via a snap), no part of the tank bag will touch a painted surface.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
126 Posts
Well, it looks nice, but that’s about it, in my opinion. (I have one, brand new, that I may put up for sale here)

1.That tray isn’t big enough for a regular sized iPhone XS, which is what I had intended to use it for. Also, I’ve read about the Velcro lid blowing open at speed. Either way, kind of useless for me.

2. Not to keen on the way it mounts.

3. I’ve got the GPR V5 on order, which will prevent the bag from being used. The way it hooks on the front of the tank would also prevent the use of the OEM or Evotech gps mounts

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
399 Posts
There's probably nothing wrong with it, but I myself prefer tank bags that attach via a tank-ring such as the ones mentioned above from Givi and SW-Motech. Every tank bag I've owned with straps has ended up scratching the paint of the fuel tanks I mounted them on. Tank film would have probably prevented the scratches, but at the time I wasn't aware of its availability.

As for myself, I've been using an SW-Motech EVO Daypack for several years now, and it hasn't scratched either of my N1K's fuel tanks. The SW-Motech system has the bottom of the tank bag sitting about a 1/4-1/2 inch above the fuel tank. So long as you have the release cord secured to the bag (via a snap), no part of the tank bag will touch a painted surface.
Good point. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Well, it looks nice, but that’s about it, in my opinion. (I have one, brand new, that I may put up for sale here)

1.That tray isn’t big enough for a regular sized iPhone XS, which is what I had intended to use it for. Also, I’ve read about the Velcro lid blowing open at speed. Either way, kind of useless for me.

2. Not to keen on the way it mounts.

3. I’ve got the GPR V5 on order, which will prevent the bag from being used. The way it hooks on the front of the tank would also prevent the use of the OEM or Evotech gps mounts
So, what are you using for Tank Bag? Do you have a solution for this?

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
126 Posts
Good point. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

So, what are you using for Tank Bag? Do you have a solution for this?
Currently, I’m using this simply for papers, garage door opener, a battery power bank (in the event my BatteryTender USB fails), and eyeglass cloth:

Cortech 8225-2405-00 Micro 2.0

But, I am looking at the SW-Motech Pro bags. I just haven’t decided which size to get: Micro, Day, or Sport. I find them expensive, so I don’t want to buy one, and then have to buy another. Not too many images (or any at all) of any of these three bags on the N1K, so it’s hard for me to determine which will work best for me.

edit: I fitted the OEM bag the day it arrived and took it right back off the very same minute. Never used.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts