Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
404 Posts
Is there something wrong with the OEM tank bag?

·
Registered
404 Posts
There's probably nothing wrong with it, but I myself prefer tank bags that attach via a tank-ring such as the ones mentioned above from Givi and SW-Motech. Every tank bag I've owned with straps has ended up scratching the paint of the fuel tanks I mounted them on. Tank film would have probably prevented the scratches, but at the time I wasn't aware of its availability.

As for myself, I've been using an SW-Motech EVO Daypack for several years now, and it hasn't scratched either of my N1K's fuel tanks. The SW-Motech system has the bottom of the tank bag sitting about a 1/4-1/2 inch above the fuel tank. So long as you have the release cord secured to the bag (via a snap), no part of the tank bag will touch a painted surface.
Good point. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Well, it looks nice, but that’s about it, in my opinion. (I have one, brand new, that I may put up for sale here)

1.That tray isn’t big enough for a regular sized iPhone XS, which is what I had intended to use it for. Also, I’ve read about the Velcro lid blowing open at speed. Either way, kind of useless for me.

2. Not to keen on the way it mounts.

3. I’ve got the GPR V5 on order, which will prevent the bag from being used. The way it hooks on the front of the tank would also prevent the use of the OEM or Evotech gps mounts
So, what are you using for Tank Bag? Do you have a solution for this?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I ordered the OEM one a couple of days ago and it's arriving next week. If it's too small, I'll return it.
SW-Motech sounds like a good one to consider.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've also been using the S-W Motech EVO Daypack, which is expandable from 5 to 9 litres (approx 10.5 to 19 pints).

As FeralRdr said earlier "The SW-Motech system has the bottom of the tank bag sitting about a 1/4-1/2 inch above the fuel tank. So long as you have the release cord secured to the bag (via a snap), no part of the tank bag will touch a painted surface.".
[...]

The base-plate fitted to the bottom of the bag can be drilled so that it can sit either further forward or backward as needed.
It also has very handy net pockets on both sides (inside) for small odds and ends.
The top lid has a separate, zippered pocket where I keep the, so far unused, raincover with some life essentials (stubby holder, bottle opener/cork screw and tyre pressure gauge).
Oh, By the way, like all good usable tank bag that has a good capacity, they are quite thick.
Does it block your view of the dashboard in any way?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Returned the OEM one and bought the SW-Motech.
SW-Motech has a lovely design. Everything felt high quality, except for the weird #7. I broke one of the pegs because I screwed it too tight. sigh
I got the DayPack and I think it's a little small for long distance trip. I'll use it for my CBR.

I've placed a new order for another Pro mount for my CBR1000RR and a Pro City for the Ninja.

The wonderful thing is that:
  • SW-Motech's branch in the US is in Portland, Oregon; so, shipping via UPS Ground gets to me in less than 2 days
  • I can switch the bags among my bikes as long as the base mount are all Pro mounts.

Reactions: BladeRunner-N7MX

·
Registered
404 Posts
SW-Motech Pro City Tank Bag arrived.
Perfect size for my long distance excursions.

PS: It's a lot easier to install the mount ring on the tank cover for my Honda CBR than the Ninja 1000SX.

Luggage and bags Bag Automotive tire Grey Automotive design

Reactions: BladeRunner-N7MX

·
Registered
404 Posts
Oh, and don't forget to apply some Loctite on the bolts for the mount, as recommended by SW-Motech.
With all the road vibrations, these are going to be easy to get loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts