Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
That would be most welcomed as would some of the newer bikes being added. I don't see many bikes added the past 3 years.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I'm curious how I'll feel about the "oomph" difference. Spectre, I'd forgotten you had the N1K. Thanks for the info. Need to find one to ride. Excellent that your daughter is riding with you. Have some great memories of my daughter riding with me on the ZZR. She'll be providing a grandchild in March. :)
My philosophy when it comes to bikes/power- when its generating 120-125 RWHP & 70+/- lb/ft of torque, what more could you ask for? Anything else is just excess, IMHO. My ZZR had 'excess' in abundance. I was too terrified to ever use it. I think I maybe whacked open that throttle a couple of times, shat myself and then said, 'that's enough of that!" My bike dynoed @ more than 145+ RWHP, pretty much stock, which was just too much for me. Yeah, I know some of ya'll are squinting at me, saying there's no such thing as too much HP but there was on the ZZR... again, for me.

My modded '03 ZRX put down about 126 RWHP w/85 ft/lbs of broad flat torque. Always felt like that was enough, just about right. And my N1K, by all reports, put down similar #'s, albeit w/a touch less bottom end torque. Honestly, it never mattered to me if it was slightly down on HP/torque as the N1K's overall performance- power, handling, braking- was more than enough, so it didn't matter.

That's also why I really didn't mod my N1K for anything much more than comfort. The Yosh cans were for just for fun, sound & weight reduction, and the Ivan's reflash just calmed the throttle down a touch.

I wouldn't worry about the "oomph" factor. As some of the other guys here will tell you, you're only a pipe, air filter & reflash away from an additional 20 RWHP if you want it.
Lee

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm still curious how the Ninja is more comfortable than the ZZR? TO me the ZZ seems much more roomy with a much bigger and better seat. Perhaps comfort is a relative thing but I like the seat of the ZZR and the forward lean which negates some of the scruntch I feel from the Ninja.

View attachment 29855 View attachment 29856
I'm built like a gorilla- 5'10", 230, short arms, short inseam. I modded my ZZR 12 ways come Sunday trying to make it fit me- risers, seats, grips, lowering pegs, bigger screen, whatever- and I never got comfortable on that bike. W/in 20m of riding, I was looking get off- I just hated it.

I will say tho that the fairing was amazing in diverting the wind. And the engine was beyond strong, mother of mercy did that thing have power. As I recall, she weighed in around 600, bit of a pig, but once rolling you'd never have known and it handled/braked admirably. Overall a strong package but most definitely not the right bike for me.

I only owned her for about a year, maybe a little more. Sold my '01 ZRX to get her, then bought another ZRX after I sold the ZZR & couldn't have been happier. Too bad cuz I lusted after that damn ZZR , she was so pretty, and all she did was break my heart. 'Course, you go over to the ZZRbikes site and there are guys there that absolutely thought it was the greatest bike ever, put loads of miles on them. Me, I don't think I added 2k to the odo before I dumped her.

In my opinion, there's no comparison w/the N1K when it comes to comfort aspect. The N1K wins hands down on all aspects. Like I said, I'd buy another N1K in a heartbeat but I'd never buy another ZZR.
Lee

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I guess we're sort of opposite body types. You're a gorilla, and I"m a spider monkey :)
Long arms, long inseam, at 200 lbs., and only 6'.
Where you added risers, I would rather go in the opposite direction. I'm pretty uncomfortable on the Ninja after 45 minutes. Lowered pegs, and modded seat may help, but i don't like where the bars are. I could lower those but I hear there's issues with lock to lock. Plus the seat to bar distance would not change.
I'm a fan of the ergos on those near extinct sport tourers like the ZZR, Sprint, big VFR, etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
more of a stretch to the bars. I like that. Less cockpit cramping. My hands are too close to me on the Ninja. That diagram takes into account my 34" inseam but not my long arms. Plus I'll take a little more knee bend if my heels are more under by butt. Better alignment.
I'm 100% positive I'd like the ZZ better. It reminds me more of my old sprint.
Gotcha. It would be cool if they could take arm length into account.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Specterman, you should have opened up a zzr1200 shop. Your stock bike outperformed Ivan's, that's quite an accomplishment .

Also worth noting is that zzr is a 600 lb bike, ready to ride. The zx14 was lighter. Even the 2019 zx14, with a 65lb stock exhaust still doesnt weigh more than the zzr, and it has at least another 40 hp.

So, it was a 600lb bike with power levels like anyone can get with a ninja 1000, and an exhaust system. Impressive for 2003, but not so much today. Even for it's time, the Honda blackbird was a better bike, and still is. Blackbird is probably better than the Ninja, as well.

The Holeshot numbers are way more common for a zzr1200. He was selling jet kits and barely saw 140.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Theres no real point other than calling bs when it's needed. No different than what someone would do to me if I said my Ninja 1000 was at 165 hp. It's fine to look back at old bikes and compare them to new, but when doing so, theres no reason it cant be done with some accurate numbers vs fond memories.

When you had beter numbers than Holeshot Performance (Dale Walker) or Ivan..both guys built businesses around bikes like the zzr...one has to think you were a gifted tuner.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I always appreciate your overblown & never-ending commentary on every topic posted, (for evidence, see your near 12k posts on this site,) much less your sense of self-righteous indignation in regards to a topic that is of no real concern to you, and has no true relevance or significance at this point in time, particularly since you weren't there when I had my bike dynoed or know what mods I had done. But feel free to continue to bloviate- it's what you do best since clearly you're an expert of just about everything. I'm sure the rest of the fellas on the site enjoy your constant commentary.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
You called me a lot of things there, but one thing you were not able to say is liar. I dont know if anyone appreciates what I have to say, or not, but what they wouldnt be able to do is say I lie, or exaggerate. I'm ok with that.

Facebook is your best bet if you choose to exaggerate and hope to not get caught, and embarrassed. You posted nonsense, I caught you, and you want to make me the bad guy because ive posted here, for about the last seven to eight years without lying.

The thread was about direct comparisons of bikes you dont own anymore. Those discussions only work when people are honest with each other, and you are not very good at that honesty thing. At least I one one of the discussed bikes. You tried to lie about your zzr1200 and hoped no one would notice. I can tell that by the way you are pushing back and attempting to find a way to be correct that you meant to do this. Why? Why not just be honest about it? Did you think you were talking to stupid people who wouldnt verify numbers? If so, to other liars.....heres a warning. Dont lie. You will get caught. If not by me, someone else will see it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts