Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a 2005 ZZR1200 for the past 10 years and loving it. Currently at 78,000 miles on the bike and 57 years on me(5'-10" 32 inseam and 34 sleeve). Currently not having any issues with the bike other than some oil usage and wanting something new. FI, ABS TC CC all would be nice. I ride year round as long as it's not icy. I usually do two 4-5 day trips a year and plan on doing a cross country in a few years. (ship it west, ride it home to PA)
A day ride is 300-450 miles on mostly two lane roads in Central PA. If it gives you an indication, our moving average on those day rides is 45-50 mph. I have 1 1/4 risers, a double bubble shield and a corbin on the ZZR. I'm not uncomfortable on a full day ride and have done 500+ days with an airhawk. Yesterday I rode a friends BMW R1200RS and while certainly not used to the difference in motors, the more upright riding position felt pretty nice. Very different handling dynamics too. The seat is really grippy and when I tried to slide around, not happening. His comment on the ZZR was that it responded much more to upper body movement. The new N1K is at the top of my list. I sat on one at a local dealer and was going to ride one but they have disappeared. A Versys could be on the list but I don't really care for the styling and ergos might be too upright. A ZX14 could be on the list but I'd like to go lighter since much of our riding is tight twisties especially in West Virginia. I would certainly consider risers and peg lowering on an N1K. Two up doesn't happen enough for it to be much of a consideration

Thoughts, comments and opinions?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the only way you are going to get a fair comparison for you is if you get on an N1K for a test drive. To fit your ergonomics that could be an earlier year N1K because there aren't any differences between earlier models than a 2020 to be significant. That is what I did. There weren't any 2020 in the US when I test drove a 2019 (multiple times) and it fit me well, so when the 2020 was available I made the purchase. I also have a ZX14r as a second bike (or maybe it is my first bike). Dump the OEM cans for carbon slip-ons (or a 4:1 carbon system) and that dumps 30 pounds off the curb weight. I prefer my ZX14r in the twisties or the track if I'm going crazy, but that's just me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the only way you are going to get a fair comparison for you is if you get on an N1K for a test drive. To fit your ergonomics that could be an earlier year N1K because there aren't any differences between earlier models than a 2020 to be significant. That is what I did. There weren't any 2020 in the US when I test drove a 2019 (multiple times) and it fit me well, so when the 2020 was available I made the purchase. I also have a ZX14r as a second bike (or maybe it is my first bike). Dump the OEM cans for carbon slip-ons (or a 4:1 carbon system) and that dumps 30 pounds off the curb weight. I prefer my ZX14r in the twisties or the track if I'm going crazy, but that's just me.
Most of the guys from the ZZR forum have moved on to 14's. Twisty preference; the handling on the 14 is sharper than the 1000?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Slayman, you're not going to be as comfortable on the Ninja as you are on the ZZR. That being said it could still work for you for day long rides with some ergo mods. I'm 6' 34" inseam 200lbs and I do not find it comfortable for more than an hour. Actually a bit less. That's 100% stock though. If I had two more inches of leg room (which you would have) I'd probably be fine and only need an aftermarket seat.
fyi, putting risers on it at your arm length may make it too upright.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
199 Posts
I'm 6'2". Had my stock seat modified by Spencer Moto for around $75. I can ride the Ninja all day. However, I have no comparison to the ZX14.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I had an 02 ZZR1200 and I think the Ninja is much more comfortable. I had to do some serious modding to the ZZR seat to be able to handle more than 1/2 hour on that thing. The downside to the Ninja is the torque. That 1200 had gobs! I sold the ZZR for a Sprint ST and didn't miss the HP or torque at all and that bike was really close to the Ninja in ride position, ergos and power.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Most of the guys from the ZZR forum have moved on to 14's. Twisty preference; the handling on the 14 is sharper than the 1000?
I'm not sure what 'sharper' means, perhaps nimble, easier to steer, easier to weight shift? My N1K has hard bags, a tank bag, and a top bag. That's about 20 extra pounds, plus the stuff I carry in them. My 14r has just a tank bag and I have lowered the triple tree a bit. I feel more comfortable on the 14r getting body position. I have about 100k miles on 14's and only 4K on the N1K. When I get some more lean miles on the N1K perhaps I will like it better than the 14r?!?!

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
73 Posts
A bit more comfortable for the legs on long rides.
I agree—not quite enough leg room for me. I have the Knight Design lowering pegs that have no rubber on top or weight on the bottom so they aren’t physically any lower than the OEM for ground clearance, but lower your leg position about 1 1/2”. Makes a big difference in comfort.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I never heard of those. I like the extra room without compromising clearance. An 1 1/2 would just about do it.
Just went to the website and didn't see a price. WHat did they run you?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey Slay! What's shakin?
As much as I wanted to, I never got comfy on my '04 ZZR, no matter what mods I threw at it. I think my ownership of that bike was possibly the shortest & most uncomfortable of all the bikes I've owned in my 6 decades on Earth. If you can 200+ mile days on that bike & then go onto an N1K, you're gonna think you died and went to heaven.

After I sold the ZZR, I got another ZRX1200, I eventually sold that & ended up on an '11 N1K & had zero regrets. We're similar in height/weight so this bike would absolutely work for you. I modded my N1K primarily for comfort than performance and enjoyed that bike immensely from both a practical and performance perspective. V-stream screen, grip puppies, modded seat, lowering pegs, Murph's risers- it all worked for me and at only 500 lbs, it was the dream lightweight ST I'd been looking for, unlike that pig ZZR!

I've since moved to a 2016 FJR-A model but only because my teen daughter started riding w/me about a year & a half ago & the FJR is a far superior 2-up bike than the N1K. It really is a fantastic bike but like the ZZR, she's a pig to move around at 650+ lbs.

Honestly, I'd buy another N1K, especially the 2020 version w/cruise control, in a heartbeat, no second thoughts, especially w/the hard bags.

The Versys 1000 is a nice bike altho the looks never really called out to me and the new gen is, IMHO, overpriced and somewhat fugly.

Right now, outside of the N1K, the only other lightweight ST I'd even consider would be a Tracer 900 GT. I've been very impressed w/my FJR so I'd definitely give another Yamaha (this FJR is my first!) another consideration.

Take a peek at my former bike- might give you some ideas. Favorite mods on my '11 N1K
Lee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. I'm curious how I'll feel about the "oomph" difference. Spectre, I'd forgotten you had the N1K. Thanks for the info. Need to find one to ride. Excellent that your daughter is riding with you. Have some great memories of my daughter riding with me on the ZZR. She'll be providing a grandchild in March. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Zeroto60times reports the ZZR 1200 and N1000 about the same and about a 1/2 second behind the ZX14.

Is this real life with stock bikes?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I'm still curious how the Ninja is more comfortable than the ZZR? TO me the ZZ seems much more roomy with a much bigger and better seat. Perhaps comfort is a relative thing but I like the seat of the ZZR and the forward lean which negates some of the scruntch I feel from the Ninja.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not sure how you can say the ZZR seems much more roomy when comparing the ergo diagrams. The knee angle is a couple degrees more on the N1k and the hip angle is 16 degrees greater on the N1k. The larger the number = less scrunched up.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Not sure how you can say the ZZR seems much more roomy when comparing the ergo diagrams. The knee angle is a couple degrees more on the N1k and the hip angle is 16 degrees greater on the N1k. The larger the number = less scrunched up.
more of a stretch to the bars. I like that. Less cockpit cramping. My hands are too close to me on the Ninja. That diagram takes into account my 34" inseam but not my long arms. Plus I'll take a little more knee bend if my heels are more under by butt. Better alignment.
I'm 100% positive I'd like the ZZ better. It reminds me more of my old sprint.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts