1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Do you think we will really see these? I hope we do, but theres no way either of those bikes could sell for much less than a zx10, is there? If the component quality is still good.

If the base 2019 zx6 is 9999.0. Maybe?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I test rode the Ninja 400, parallel twin motor with about 46 rwhp, I believe around 340 lbs. wet, and I found this bike to be really fun to ride. One automatically expects "slow" when you're down into this engine size but it was not slow at all. It even had a healthy midrange AND a very satisfying top end rush. It was capable on urban environments AND highway too. I had no problem maintaining 85, and could easily roll on the power without a downshift from 65-95 mph and the bike responds quickly to it. Overall I was very impressed. I would buy this bike and ride it a lot simply because it was that much fun. I even liked the sound and power delivery of Kawasaki's parallel twin.

Having said that, the mere presence of the Ninja 650 is too much to resist. And when you're in that displacement category, the ZX6R (636) isn't that far away. With credit so easy to come by nowadays, what's another $20-$40/month more in bike payments for another 40 rwhp right? That's double the power of the Ninja 400!

Therein lies the problem with a higher output but smaller displacement bike. A 250cc inline four ZX25R weighing in at 300 lbs. would be awesome fun! But after all the fan boys buy it, sales will tank because most people would rather just get the ZX6R or the Ninja 650. I also believe an inline four 250 would also cost more than a parallel twin 400cc, or be so close to it in price that it would spell doom in the market place. In the US, where there is no restriction in licensing, everyone just gravitates to the bigger, faster bikes.

I often ride with millennials, and I **** you not 99% of them dream of liter bike ownership. You're not living until you've gravitated to a liter bike class. All of them just use the 600 class as a jumping off point.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Oclandspeeder the ninja 400 is an awesome bike, I got my daughter one for her first bike and it has worked out well for her. It’s actually a little less weight than the 300. It’s a no brainer for a first bike since it offers more than the 250 and 300. I looked at it like she could ride it for a few years before upgrading. With her light weight on it I’m amazed how she keeps up with me, I can make a spirited run look back and she is in my back pocket, I will admit I love wringing the 400 out every chance I get. The bike makes a lot of since for new riders and it’s a popular track bike and has a big following. Lot of after market parts available also.

Reactions: OCLandspeeder

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mark, I had a chance to ride one of my millennial friend's Yamaha R3 also. About 35 rwhp and maybe 320 lbs. wet.

That bike I felt was under powered for the US market. Even in urban environments I needed to rev it above 8k RPM just to keep up with traffic. On the freeway I felt a bit vulnerable to powerful cars. Down on surface streets, I remember I had to fight off a determined Hyundai Sonata Turbo and I barely got away! LOL!

Many people out here, they size you up, make a judgement call and then do their thing to get in front of you. Maybe it's just my area of Southern California....but even when I was on my VFR800 I would routinely get dogged by Tesla's and powerful ICE engined cars. Even though there are no displacement markings on that bike. The R3....it's small, everyone seemed to know. On the N1k, those magic numbers on the side that's spelled 1-0-0-0 gives many people pause. And if that's not enough, a quick twist of the throttle and releasing that torque to catapult the bike forward in an instant is enough to get folks to back off.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
This bike wont be for us. These will be for the kids who brought Groms and z125's. The local High Schools have a ton of each, in the student parking lot. None of them are stock. Lots of pipes, brake upgrades, extended swingarm, and anything we can buy for the big bikes.

Lots easier to talk the parents into a step up from a 125 to a 250 as opposed to a zx6 or zx10.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Oclandspeeder, I have been challenged several times by the ricers cars, last one was a Honda car, I left him sitting and I was on the back wheel for a few feet and he backed off so quick I tried to let him catch up and he wouldn’t do it. I will never forget the shop that was building my car engine the owner brought a new busa in and one of the mechanics wanted to ride it. He never made it back, we found him off the road and about dead, he couldn’t handle it and the new bike was totaled.

Reactions: OCLandspeeder

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Come on guys, go fishing. Put the bags on and go ho trolling. Find a prime.... pull up next to them and give them that oh they look so cool thumbs up. Rev the bike ligtly to entice them. When they take the bait turn the GoPro on.
Now leave the line second, then almost pass them but nope slow shift. Pull up on there door again and slow shift. Then pull up on the door... wave by by and let it eat.
cool factory x 10 if you get their facial expression on film.

Reactions: goatdriver

·
Registered
601 Posts
LMAO!

I feel that a lot of it is psychological. If you smoke someone on the first 50 feet, they give up right away. But if they get the jump on you they think they got you. My favorite is the slow start, then the car next to you really guns it thinking they got you napping, and then I just roll the throttle on the N1k, and you know how quickly the N1k responds with all its torque down there. It deflates the ego of the driver right away and then now they just don't want to be anywhere near you. LOL! It's just fun and games. There are a lot of folks in my area that drive fast cars and they too want to see what their cars can do. Most of them are very cool and know the limits.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Oh yes they did. Introduced alongside the 2020 Z H2 at the Tokyo Motor Show is the new ZX-25R.

Old and inflexible fokes, get signed up for the pilates and hot yoga. Maybe a gray market importer, too.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Thats a cool bike. 57x, i know the old 250 was heavy, but for its time, it really wasn't. The 88zx10 weighed over 600lbs, ready to ride which made the 250 tiny and light, in comparison. I know the odds of us seeing it are slim/none, but i hope im wrong.

This gives the Grom kids something friendly to move up to. I think they could sell Mom on, "Its just a 250" easier than a 400 ninja? I would look silly on it, but its the first Kawasaki ive wanted in a long time.

You should buy one....i really wish you would.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Historically, fickle Americans are notorious for bellyaching when small displacement "exotics" aren't sold here, and yet they don't buy them when they are. None of even the past 400cc 4-cylinder bikes sold well enough to stay on the market. So much for putting money where their mouths are. Probably just as well, mature riders used to fat, flat, big bike powerbands would be slower than molasses on this hyperactive little device. That's assuming they can "assume the position" in the first place.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I know its not even similar, but if that 9000-9500 price is correct, a customer could walk into a Kawasaki shop and see a z900, Ninja 650, zx6, or ninja 1000 priced less than the new 250 they are looking at. Similar to the battle the fz400 had, back in the late 80's. 57x will buy the 250, but its his 3rd backup bike.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know its not even similar, but if that 9000-9500 price is correct, a customer could walk into a Kawasaki shop and see a z900, Ninja 650, zx6, or ninja 1000 priced less than the new 250 they are looking at. Similar to the battle the fz400 had, back in the late 80's. 57x will buy the 250, but its his 3rd backup bike.
Yep, I'll buy it if it comes here. And no, I've thinned the herd. Currently, my only street bikes are the H2 SX and a 91 GSXR400R SP2. I'll sell the 400 to get this one.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From Motorcycle.com

At the moment, it looks like the ZX-25R will only be offered in Asian markets such as Indonesia and Japan, just like how Honda has done with its twin-cylinder CBR250RR. The odds of the bike coming to the U.S. are slim, unfortunately, but we still can’t help but admire Kawasaki’s moxie in actually producing the ZX-25R.

I'm crazy enough to bring one over in pieces. I have a friend that brings in one to two containers from China a month. He said I can throw anything I can find over there in the containers.

Can you imagine showing up in your local club racing group and entering that in the 250 unlimited class? Sure, I'd be kicked out after the first race, but damn would it be fun. Throw ugly Ninja 250 race fairings on it to confuse them until the first straightaway.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
This bike is so unique, you have to get one. One of our local dealers has a load of these gray market bikes. This new one looks every bit as quality as the old ones, except the steel frame.

This dealership in Utah has a showroom full of the old, gray market bikes. If you wanted one, i can promise he already has one ordered.

I think he trades up. If he finds a better one, he dumps the old stock and keeps the better example. About halfway down the page, youll see his 801 phone number. Im more into the two strokes he has, but his passion is for these small bikes.

https://raresportbikesforsale.com/tag/zxr400/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts