Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I dunno about other vintages of ZX10R, just the ones I've got, which I believe Kawi used from 2008 to 2010.

FWIW, even if the center-to-center distance is not quite exactly the same, as long as it's close enough, by a couple of mm's say, you might be able to oval the mounting holes to fit. That was the case with that Aprilia RSV1000R I posted pics above.

It's just as important the angles of the mirrors are close enough on the new host bike, so they let the rider see where he needs to see.
The ones I checked out (from a 2015/2016 ZX10R) had a center-to-center distance that seemed to be wider than what the N1K frame allowed by almost 10mm. That could still be worked by welding on a bigger mount-plate.. but the fairing allowance for the mirror mount is not as easily workable...
I'll try and get some more exact measurements the next time I go into the shop (as soon as the clutch-return spring comes in)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The ones I checked out (from a 2015/2016 ZX10R) had a center-to-center distance that seemed to be wider than what the N1K frame allowed by almost 10mm. That could still be worked by welding on a bigger mount-plate.. but the fairing allowance for the mirror mount is not as easily workable...
I'll try and get some more exact measurements the next time I go into the shop (as soon as the clutch-return spring comes in)
That sounds like a lot more work and might not be worth your while, especially if you are not able to check the angle of the mirror surfaces to make sure they work on the N1k.

Yes, the molded in "pocket" on the plastic fairing complicates mirror swaps like this. Not impossible to overcome (as in my rpoject), but you have to evaluate whether it is worth your time and effort.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That sounds like a lot more work and might not be worth your while, especially if you are not able to check the angle of the mirror surfaces to make sure they work on the N1k.

Yes, the molded in "pocket" on the plastic fairing complicates mirror swaps like this. Not impossible to overcome (as in my rpoject), but you have to evaluate whether it is worth your time and effort.
Agreed... I had let go of this idea until I saw your post... and with not many ways to get my hands on a spare set of mirrors, I did not want to put money on something that potentially would not work...

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
603 Posts
Over the last week-end I completed this "upgrade", and have now taken it for test ride this morning.

I can't believe how much better the "rear view" is now compared to the stock N1K mirrors. I can actually see what is behind me.

This mod gets my AAA+++ rating.

A couple of comments :--
  1. I have only fitted the mirrors. I removed the indicators off the mirror stalks.
  2. I could not find any used 2008 ZX10R mirrors on eBay, so I bought a set of "knock offs" off Alibaba. The quality of the mirror assembly is 8/10, while the indicators are only 4/10, but they were not expensive so I can't complain too much.
  3. The mounting bolt dimensions are exactly the same as the N1K, so they were a "drop in" fit.
  4. I used a stack of 4 small flat washers per bolt to fill the indent in the fairing, instead of a spring washer.
  5. Getting the correct shape of the spacing plate was the hardest part of this mod. It was not difficult to do, just a little time consuming.

I first traced the shape of the stock N1K mirror foot onto a piece of cardboard, then over-layed the shape of the ZX10R mirror foot. After "blending" the 2 shapes, I cut the cardboard and "test fitted" it to the fairing.

After 2 or 3 tries, I ended up with something that I was happy with and transferred that shape to 1/8" aluminium. A hacksaw, a metal file & a drill were the only tools I needed.
Thanks again to Volfy for the information on this modification.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@Murphyau, glad you liked your new mirrors. More than the functional improvement (which is significant), I think they fit the lines of the bike far better than the OEM rabbit ears. ZX10R and H2-SX both have mirrors that jut more-or-less straight out, rather than up at an angle. I just like that look better.

Good that you were able to find flat washers to fill the indent in the fairing. I only used the split washers because at the time I couldn't find any flat washers that would fit. Next time I have to take the mirror apart, I'll likely replace them. I've ridden the mirrors for several months now and they are still as solid as ever. Rear views are crisp, even at speeds/RPMs where I start to feel the bike buzz elsewhere.

Genuine OEM ones are starting to get hard to find used. Back when I first bought them years ago, they were all over the place on ebay. Quality of the knock-offs are not too bad. I bought a set off ebay just to have as spares. There are some differences in the smaller parts, but overall nice enough to work well.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
603 Posts
Glad you liked your new mirrors. More than the functional improvement (which is significant), I think they fit the lines of the bike far better than the OEM rabbit ears. << snip >>

Quality of the knock-offs are not too bad. I bought a set off ebay just to have as spares. There are some differences in the smaller parts, but overall nice enough to work well.
I agree with your comments about the "look" of the mirrors better fitting the shape of the N1K. They are far more integrated than the "rabbit ears".

Now if I could only find a better looking solution for the stupid "specimen cup" front brake reservoir the bike would look perfect.

The quality of the mirrors is quiet reasonable, but the indicator units, while functional, are cheaply made. I'll see if I can't snag a set of OEM units off eBay.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
603 Posts
As a follow-on from fitting the ZX10R mirrors, I decided to fit a set of DRL Switchbacks into the main indicator housing in the fairing and wire in the ZX10R indicators on the mirror stalks, as well.

Now, both sides of the front fairing are illuminated while riding, and one side automatically switch to "indicator mode" when needed.

I did have to modify the DRLs to fit into the OEM socket using a Dremel, and I had to make an adapter wiring harness to join both the DRLs & ZX10R indicators, but that was not too hard to do.

Hopefully, my ECU won't get "confused" and tell me that the throttle bodies need replacing . . .

In the meantime, here is a link to a short video of the end result.

N1K DaytimeRunningLights

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
383 Posts
As a follow-on from fitting the ZX10R mirrors, I decided to fit a set of DRL Switchbacks into the main indicator housing in the fairing and wire in the ZX10R indicators on the mirror stalks, as well.

Now, both sides of the front fairing are illuminated while riding, and one side automatically switch to "indicator mode" when needed.

I did have to modify the DRLs to fit into the OEM socket using a Dremel, and I had to make an adapter wiring harness to join both the DRLs & ZX10R indicators, but that was not too hard to do.

Hopefully, my ECU won't get "confused" and tell me that the throttle bodies need replacing . . .

In the meantime, here is a link to a short video of the end result.

N1K DaytimeRunningLights
Looks really cool

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Right now I've got the ZX10R mirror light pods wired in as duplicate turn signal lights. Next time I need to remove the side fairings, I'll install LED replacement bulbs in the fairing mounted pods and wire them up as position lights.

As far as I know, Kawi doesn't do bulb monitoring, like on many Euro bikes. At least not on my '18 anyway.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
603 Posts
You probably already know this but the bayonet fittings are different (at least mine are). You will need BAU15S for the fairing and BA15S for the mirrors.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes, I've got a box full of LED replacement bulbs I've accumulated over the years. Different bases, colors, lengths and brightness, etc. Even converter types that goes from a bare socket wired to a flat LED panels. Those are not omnidirectional and can be super bright if I can aim them in the right angle/direction. That's what I'd like to try with the fairing mounted pods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I've got a box full of LED replacement bulbs I've accumulated over the years. Different bases, colors, lengths and brightness, etc. Even converter types that goes from a bare socket wired to a flat LED panels. Those are not omnidirectional and can be super bright if I can aim them in the right angle/direction. That's what I'd like to try with the fairing mounted pods.
Here's a mod I've been wanting to do as soon as I brought the N1k home. The stock mirrors work well enough, but a few things about them I didn't like:

1. The adjustment is on the entire mirror block. My bikes are fairly tightly packed in my garage, so I'm always bumping into the mirrors and knocking them out of alignment.
2. At highway speeds the image blurs a bit. Not horribly like on some Ducati twins, but just enough to where it's difficult to make out where a black SUV some distance behind me has light bar over the roof and a searchlight on the A-pillar. ;)
3. They point up diagonally and look like rabbit ears.

Years ago, I had an '08 ZX10R and always liked the function and style of the mirrors. I also had an '08 Aprilia RSV1000R around that time and actually mounted a set on it, which worked excellently. So much so, I've always kept a spare set since - long after I sold the ZX10R - just in case there is another bike I could mount them on.

The mounting stud center-to-center distance is an exact match to the Ninja 1000, but the 2018 fairing has a molded indentation countoured to match the stock mirror stalk's foot, so it isn't an easy direct bolt-on. I had to fabricate a shim plate out of 1/16" aluminum. Took more patience than skill. The result is more than worth it:

1. Viewing angles are almost perfect. For my 5'7" frame, I had to move the adjustment more towards the lower end, but I still have a good bit of travel range left before bottoming out. If you are much taller than I am, you might actually put it right smack in the middle of the adjustment range.

2. At highway speeds and typical cruising RPM, the image is crystal clear.

3. I see the ends of the handle bars in the upper inside quadrant of the mirrors, where there is rarely anything there I'd want to see. Otherwise, the rear view image is wide and clear.

4. The added turn signal light pods are great. Right now I have them wired as an addition set of turn signals. Next time I remove the side fairings, I intend to modify the original (fairing mounted) turn signals into constant ON position lights. I might even try clear white LED bulbs to see how that works out.

View attachment 29366

View attachment 29367

View attachment 29371

View attachment 29372

View attachment 29373

View attachment 29374

View attachment 29368

View attachment 29369

View attachment 29370

Hi, do you need to remove fairings, to install mirrors? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi, do you need to remove fairings, to install mirrors? Thank you.
Nope. You only need to remove the unpainted black plastic bezel that surrounds the gauge cluster. However, to do that does require removal of the side upper fairing. Sounds more complicated than it really is.

·
Registered
674 Posts
How'd you get off the bolt for the mirror, and the fairings? I took off the main side fairing with the stickers, and my tools are not able to reach the bolt. I tried with a allen 10mm screwdriver and it does not have enough torque. And I can't get off the other fairings up front.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
How'd you get off the bolt for the mirror, and the fairings? I took off the main side fairing with the stickers, and my tools are not able to reach the bolt. I tried with a allen 10mm screwdriver and it does not have enough torque. And I can't get off the other fairings up front.
You have to take off the front bezel (black plastic around the instrument panel.

The nut that holds the mirror stalk isn't on that tight, once you are able to get good access to it.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
113 Posts
You have to take off the front bezel (black plastic around the instrument panel.
Not sure what year model Vape has… but I’ve got a 2021 and had removed all my fairings the other day, the windshield, and the black plastic cover directly under the windshield, both pop rivets, and 6? additional screws on the black dash trim piece… and that black dash trim piece still wouldn’t come off. Seeing how the dash meter is different, I think they also changed something with the trim as well… cuz it almost looks like the meter itself is connected to the trim.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So the Gen 4 ZX10R OEM mirrors do NOT fit on the 2019 Ninja 1000. So if you're ordering mirrors online, avoid 2011 and newer zx10 mirrors.

God I hate motorcycles...after all that work taking off the fairings and going to the store to get a torque wrench socket extender...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts