Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a mod I've been wanting to do as soon as I brought the N1k home. The stock mirrors work well enough, but a few things about them I didn't like:

1. The adjustment is on the entire mirror block. My bikes are fairly tightly packed in my garage, so I'm always bumping into the mirrors and knocking them out of alignment.
2. At highway speeds the image blurs a bit. Not horribly like on some Ducati twins, but just enough to where it's difficult to make out where a black SUV some distance behind me has light bar over the roof and a searchlight on the A-pillar. ;)
3. They point up diagonally and look like rabbit ears.

Years ago, I had an '08 ZX10R and always liked the function and style of the mirrors. I also had an '08 Aprilia RSV1000R around that time and actually mounted a set on it, which worked excellently. So much so, I've always kept a spare set since - long after I sold the ZX10R - just in case there is another bike I could mount them on.

The mounting stud center-to-center distance is an exact match to the Ninja 1000, but the 2018 fairing has a molded indentation countoured to match the stock mirror stalk's foot, so it isn't an easy direct bolt-on. I had to fabricate a shim plate out of 1/16" aluminum. Took more patience than skill. The result is more than worth it:

1. Viewing angles are almost perfect. For my 5'7" frame, I had to move the adjustment more towards the lower end, but I still have a good bit of travel range left before bottoming out. If you are much taller than I am, you might actually put it right smack in the middle of the adjustment range.

2. At highway speeds and typical cruising RPM, the image is crystal clear.

3. I see the ends of the handle bars in the upper inside quadrant of the mirrors, where there is rarely anything there I'd want to see. Otherwise, the rear view image is wide and clear.

4. The added turn signal light pods are great. Right now I have them wired as an addition set of turn signals. Next time I remove the side fairings, I intend to modify the original (fairing mounted) turn signals into constant ON position lights. I might even try clear white LED bulbs to see how that works out.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thats pretty slick, I like it!

Wasnt there someone on the forums here that had been making filler pieces for the stock turn signals?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL... I gave up doing my own yardwork some 15yrs ago. I have a guy come take care of it every 2wks for $35+tips and I usually hand him an ice-cold beverage too. Well worth it.

Actual view of the mirrors are very similar to picture #3 from the top, except the handlebars are even further up on the mirror "glass", very near the top. Blocks that small corner view of the sky, which is usually of little interest to me while riding.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wasnt there someone on the forums here that had been making filler pieces for the stock turn signals?
I haven't been on this forum for very long, but I wouldn't doubt it. A lot of guys switch to bar end mirrors.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I always keep aluminum plates and angles for projects like this, so it was easy to cut some plates to fit.

Oh, another thing. The stock mirrors mounting studs have a base "pad" that engages wells in the fairing, so they bear a lot of the tightening force. Ideally, I would turn a standoff spacer on the lathe to fit in that well, but I was in a hurry to try the ZX10R mirrors. Afterall, if the angles don't fit the bike, that's even more work down the drain. So... I just stuck a couple of split washer in the wells to act as a poorman's Belleville washer. Now that I have confirmed the mirrors work great, I'll work on more precision and better fitting spacers. Still, the current set up work very well as is.

BTW, the 3rd hole I drilled for passing the turn signal wires through.

A bit of flat black paint, before mounting in place.

Reactions: kenors

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To make the plates isn't difficult, but a bit time consuming to get to fit nicely. Here is what I did:

1. Buy a strip of 1/8" aluminum plate, preferably at least 1-1/2" wide. 3/16" would be perfect, but Lowes only carries 1/8" and 1/4" thick stock.
2. Cut 2 plates about 1/2" longer than the base of the stock mirror .
3. Drill 2 holes with the same center-to-center measurement as the stock mirror mounting studs, down the center line of the plates. Diameter of the holes should be just large enough to fit the studs (of the ZX10R mirrors) through. Note that the N1k mirror studs have a step at the base.
4. Fit the plate on each mirror, and trace the outline of the base onto each plate with a permanent marker. You'll make 2 not identical but mirror image plates.
5. Cut along the outline with about 1/16" extra outside the lines.
6. Check fitment on the bike. File the plates where necessary and to knock down the sharp edges.
7. Clean and paint, if desired.

Reactions: RobF

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Nicely done. I must say the idea of fold away mirrors is great, especially for a bike that sits near a high traffic area of the garage like mine does. Built in turn signals is cool too. You'd think someone would come up with an aftermarket item like this or even build it into a bike.

Reactions: Volfy

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe Kawi only updated the N1k mirror exactly once since 2011 - changing from a simple bolted hinge on the original to the rotating base on later models. One problem I have with the current design is that it takes a lot of force to make the mirror stalk rotate. Quite often, it requires a two-handed operation, so as not to feel like I'm trying rip the whole thing out of the bike. My garage is packed pretty tight, and although I try my best not to hit anything, invariably I'll hit the mirror on something moving bikes in and out of the garage. When the N1k mirror is hit, it doesn't always want to rotate easily. With the ZX10R mirror hinge almost perfectly horizontal, it would just yield and rotate if it's hit. They are also wider apart, so I can see traffic directly behind me very well. And I just like the looks of them. The sharp angular lines fit better with the character of the bike.

·
Premium Member
13,347 Posts
Volfy, I have both sets of mirrors. The later ones (2014-now) are better. Higher quality, slightly wider, and better finished.

If the old mirrors rated a 50/100, the new ones are a 60/100. Not much, but worth having.

I have the ebay spacers under the new mirrors. They are ok, but not very good. You still see about 1/2 your hand in them.

What you did looks like a better option.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RC, I don't know why Kawi is so inconsistent with factory mirrors. Some are very well designed. The latest N1k ones aren't bad. At least I like them better than, say, the ZX14R mirrors. A legendary bike like that deserves better.

I really like these old ZX10R mirrors. The hinge point in the middle of stalk means the spring used in the hinge does not need to be super strong, because it only needs to support a short and relatively lightweight outer section. This means the outer section does not take a lot of force to fold, yet the hinge stays solid enough to keep the mirror images crystal clear. Brilliant design.

Reactions: Murphyau

·
Premium Member
13,347 Posts
C14 mirrors....awesome. These? You know....

So, with he zx10 mirrors, you look under the grip area? I could see that working. See, as in see traffic. Not see how awesome my hands look in a black glove. Even with spacers, my mirrors should be illegal.

I dislike govt regulation, but with regards to my stock 2012 mirrors, maybe they should. We dont have a local law other than 1 mirror has to be on the bike. No rules that it has to work, or show behind the bike.

Maybe I'll take my spacers out and try that again, with the 2014 mirrors. The spacers are...I dont know. They raise the mirror up, and it really didnt need that. They needed to be more apart, and theres just no way to do that. I know mirrors mounted to the fairing g looks better, but unless it's done correctly, it sucks.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the typical spacers on the N1k just push the mirror UP instead of OUT. You'd need ones like these for the VFR1200: Mirror extension for improved view - VFR800/1200F/CBR1000RR - SW-MOTECH I dunno if anybody makes them for the N1k. Those SW Motech ones are expensive anyway. I've got a spare set of these ZX10R mirrors I bought for about $50 off ebay. Generic and not genuine Kawi OEM, but pretty well made.

With stock handlebars, I just see the end of them in the upper corner. With the Apex bars, I see them in the lower corner. Great rear views either way.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FWIW, I installed the same mirrors on an '08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory Red Lion. Worked just as brilliantly.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is something I want to do for my 2017 N1K.. I measured the center-to-center distance on a 2016 ZX10R (I think) at the local Kawasaki workshop and it was not the same as on my N1K... I haven't been able to find these measurements anywhere (except maybe measuring it myself... which I cannot without access to the mirrors)...

Does anyone know if 'any' ZX10R mirror fits on the 2017 N1K?
I really like the high mounted blinkers... Where I ride, people tend to be close enough to not be able to see the low-mounted indicators... Having a flashing light near the handlebars helps a lot.

Thanks
Naren.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is something I want to do for my 2017 N1K.. I measured the center-to-center distance on a 2016 ZX10R (I think) at the local Kawasaki workshop and it was not the same as on my N1K... I haven't been able to find these measurements anywhere (except maybe measuring it myself... which I cannot without access to the mirrors)...

Does anyone know if 'any' ZX10R mirror fits on the 2017 N1K?
I really like the high mounted blinkers... Where I ride, people tend to be close enough to not be able to see the low-mounted indicators... Having a flashing light near the handlebars helps a lot.

Thanks
Naren.
I dunno about other vintages of ZX10R, just the ones I've got, which I believe Kawi used from 2008 to 2010.

FWIW, even if the center-to-center distance is not quite exactly the same, as long as it's close enough, by a couple of mm's say, you might be able to oval the mounting holes to fit. That was the case with that Aprilia RSV1000R I posted pics above.

It's just as important the angles of the mirrors are close enough on the new host bike, so they let the rider see where he needs to see.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The turn signal pods are easily removed with 2 screws. They actually look pretty sharp without the pods.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts