Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Z1000sx shuts down between shifting

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  rcannon409 
#1 ·
My z1000sx 2018 has been well maintained and has about 24k km on it, however every now and then it decides to die between shifting gears. This is rather random, sometimes between 1st and 2nd gear or just between 4th and 5th. Sometimes it just shoots into neutral between shifting for some reason, like it can’t find the gear..
This happens in both cold and warm scenarios.
I did remove the catalytic converter and replaced it with a de-cat system, maybe this is causing it? It said I don’t need a tune but perhaps it’s still necessary? The rest is pretty much stock in the bike.

#2 ·
When you start to chase an issue like this, start with 3 things.

Clutch switch. It's built into the clutch perch, or attaches to it.

Kickstand switch. It will kill your bike, if it isn't opening and closing properly. These two switches are simple. Very easy to clean. My wife could do it. Ok, no. I lied, but she should be able to do it. Just like I should be able to go to a store that sells junk for your house and not freak out.

Mods and accessories. Have you had to add any electrical accessories?

If you are not able to shift completely into the gear you select, that's different, but if that happens, the engine won't die. It would stay running, but it wouldn't drive you forward.

Is this electrical, shutting off, or a missed shift?

Sorry if I have errors in this. I got a new tablet, and the keyboard is mini sized and doesn't work worth s**t.

#3 ·
I see what you mean there, I once had faulty kickstand switch but this just resulted in the bike not starting at all. I’ll try and run some WD-40 over it, perhaps there’s some grime or dirt in there.

I do have some accessories installed but these I all installed in the existing accessory slots of the bike. Non of these gadgets were on at the time and they don’t overdraw power.

I’ve checked the fuses but also nothing weird there. The wiring is sealed and doesn’t make a short

Perhaps the clutch is something to look at, how do I identify this clutch perch? And what can I do to make it work properly or adjust it?

#4 ·
The clutch switch is located below the bracket where the clutch lever pins in. (See below.) I don't think this would be the problem since all it does is prevent engagement of the starter motor.

Any chance you're bumping the kickstand when shifting? Pretty close together. Maybe the spring is getting weak or the switch is getting grimy as stated.

The kill switch (or any short in the wiring to the kill switch) could also kill the engine.

Font Line Parallel Triangle Document

#9 ·
Might want to double check the idle setting too. My tachometer reads a little high, so if I set the idle against the tach on the dash, it is actually idling low. That combined with a lean engine that might be running leaner due to de-cat…well seems plausible it could die if you completely close the throttle once warned up If idling low and running a little lean. I used the Engine RPM reading from an OBD Ii Bluetooth dongle, that is when I realized the bike was not really idling at 1100 RPM. But probably the switch.

Reactions: rcannon409
#10 ·
Great point, 1st hour. I believe the stock idle speed was chosen based on emissions and noise regulations. Not what works best. 1400 or 1500 won't hurt anything, and the bike feels better. There's no reason to keep it that low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.