Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my search for a new ride continues. I am in no hurry since riding here won't start again till March/April. I am actually having fun looking at all the bikes. I have started looking at the z1000,very cool looking bike. I don't know how I will like it without a wind screen-I do know after market ones exist. My questions are; does anyone know if the seat on the K is any better than the Ninja. That was my biggest complaint with my 2011. Is it true the gearing is lower on the z providing more torque. I really don't need a tour bike as my rides are usually about two hours. How do the suspensions compare? I weigh about 240 and don't ride hard enough or want to spend the money for a new suspension. BTW, I did test ride an FZ 09 and that thing is a feather weight wheelie machine. Enough rambling, any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mark1 - I read the press releases and mag articles about the shorter gearing but I couldn't find the actual ratios to see if it is shorter than the N1K. The final drive ratio is the same though and many complain on the Z forums about very short gearing in 6th (as many of us do here).

I don't think going with shorter gearing really buys you anything but shifting more. I've found peak acceleration is virtually the same with going to a 16T front sprocket and roll-on at about 80 is a touch slower but mileage, drivability and vibration is much better.

As for the FZ09, I liked it a lot but no ABS, tiny fuel tank where deal killers for me. The Z1K isn't much lighter than the N1K so you don't gain much there. Haven't been able to ride one so I can't comment on the suspension. I do like the look of the bike a lot but I love having the wind protection of the Ninja. The 5 gallon tank is a nice plus. It gives me a solid 2 hour range even at pretty high speeds (80+ avg.).

I am not married to my N1K but it is a pretty solid bike and an excellent value. The Z has a lot of that basic goodness but in a slightly different package.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day- Thanks for your input. I have read a lot of your posts and you are a great contributor to this board, but I think you and I have different riding goals. I like to ride back roads in out of the way places. Try to ride as little as possible on highways. I would not ride on rt 95 unless I had to-I don't trust all the idiots out there. A normal ride for me is a couple of hours out by the farm lands. The fastest I ever rode my old n1k was 125 mph on a short straight away. So I am not too concerned about cruising range or top speed. I do love acceleration. :)

Since my original post I have been seeking more info on the Z and FZ. I read somewhere the difference between the Z and Ninja is in the final drive- the Z has two more teeth on the rear, however I have not been able to confirm this yet. I also read that the bars on the Z are a little lower than Ninja, that is a negative for me, although I have not been able to confirm this either. As I am typing this I just thought DOH! Check the specs on Kawi website. Which I will do next.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok here are just the differences from the Kawi website for 2016 models.

Ninja. Z
Seat height 32.3. 32.1
Weight 509.4. 487.3
Rear wheel travel 5.4 4.8
Front brakes 300mm 310mm
Fuel cap 5. 4.5
Wheel base 56.9 56.5
Ground clearance 5.3 4.9
Overall height.(meaningless). 48.4. 41.5
Overall length. 82.9. 80.5

Nothing real stands out except weight. No ABS on Z is a bummer although I have never owned a bike with ABS. I am a little surprised -in this day of mass production- in slight differences like the front brakes. Why bother:confused:

I could not confirm rear sprocket or bar height.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Front and rear sprockets are the same on both bikes 15/41. I can definitely say the Ninja's brakes are outstanding, some of the best I've tried. They have excellent feel, are very powerful, and seem to be quite fade resistant. I do think the stock pads might fade on the track but on the street in the mountains, fully loaded, and at a pretty fast pace I've had no issues.

The weight difference isn't as much you might think when you factor in the extra weight of the ABS. Just dropping the stock N1K exhaust in favor of the Brawlers would tighten that up a bit. Of course you can do the same to the Z. Neither bike is light no matter how you slice it but they aren't a tub of lard either.

I do appreciate the overall versatility of the Ninja. It is good around town, almost a tourer on the super slab (with a few mods), mileage is pretty decent given the performance, backroads prowess is quite good and the engine is wonderful other than the vibes at certain rpms (heavier barend weights helped a lot there). All in all it is an excellent package and a great value for the money thought to be honest I wouldn't buy either of them new unless I could get an amazing deal on one.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All in all it is an excellent package and a great value for the money thought to be honest I wouldn't buy either of them new unless I could get an amazing deal on one.
I agree there. I have it narrowed down to a few good deals. The FZs are also pretty cheap.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Abs

FWIW...the Z does have ABS. :)

Reactions: talonz

·
Registered
828 Posts
If I could pick up a super cheap FZ09, I'd probably do it. I think the Z and Ninja are better bikes but for totally in town usage, I'd really consider the FZ. If I thought my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd do it tomorrow but only in the context I already have the N1K for my intercity needs and my K16GT for the really long trips.

I guess what I am saying is it would make a good "beater bike". Heck, even the FZ07 is pretty fun. On the downside, El Nino is dumping in a lot of rain lately and the fairing on the Ninja does help quite a bit. Maybe it isn't full blown tourer good but about 85% of the way there since I put on the bigger windscreen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi.

I have both the 2016 Z and the 2015 Ninja. They feel like absolutely different animals. The Z is smaller, seat lower and firmer and suspension much firmer. Z has only ABS, the Ninja has ABS, traction control and power modes. Z has way better headlights. Sprockets: Z 15/43, Ninja 15/41. Wheelbase: Z 1,435 mm, Ninja 1,445 mm.

Regards,
Pete.

Reactions: sprockethead

·
Registered
95 Posts
oh, and in comparison to the OP, I weigh about 155lbs, so your experience with the suspension will obviously differ to mine :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi.

I have both the 2016 Z and the 2015 Ninja. They feel like absolutely different animals. The Z is smaller, seat lower and firmer and suspension much firmer. Z has only ABS, the Ninja has ABS, traction control and power modes. Z has way better headlights. Sprockets: Z 15/43, Ninja 15/41. Wheelbase: Z 1,435 mm, Ninja 1,445 mm.

Regards,
Pete.
Thanks for confirming final drive sprockets. I am a little concerned when you say the seat is lower and firmer. That Ninja seat was just awful for me. I just can't imagine it getting any firmer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Haha, WAY FIRMER, sorry, but that is probably a combination of the seat and the preset suspension. It makes sense though, the ninja is the tourer, the Z is the street bike. I'll be playing with the suspension maybe this weekend. It's mostly the front that needs taming for me but the rear could also do with some dialing down.

Remember our weight is vastly different and that will affect how the bike rides for you. You really need a test ride. I was willing to accept the harder suspension for the awesomeness of the Z ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi. Its the design and bulbs. The Z1000 lights are LED. The Ninja 1000, in comparison, are candles ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi. Its the design and bulbs. The Z1000 lights are LED. The Ninja 1000, in comparison, are candles ;)
Are the bulbs interchangeable? H7? Maybe we can just get the Zed's bulbs instead of experimenting with other LEDs from the Internet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are the bulbs interchangeable? H7? Maybe we can just get the Zed's bulbs instead of experimenting with other LEDs from the Internet.
Hmmm. I've looked at some z1000 sites and they are also in search of better lights for pre-2014 models.
Apparently, 2014+ models already use LED and have reflector-less housings. AFAIK, the N1K have reflectors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, the 2014+ Z1000 is completely different

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Heres the thing, for me. Just me, and not anyone else, but with regards to naked bikes.

Once you hit the 100mph mark, it becomes a chore to hang on. Working so hard to hang on adds all sorts of unwanted steering input.

With that in mind, plus the fact you dont go on highways, do you really need or want 120-140 hp and 150mph top speeds?

If I were choosing a not for highway bike, it darn sure would not weight close to 500 lbs.

Id find a bargain on an fz09 (or 07), fix its suspension, and love the smaller package.

Either of those two are great bikes. Not knocking the z 1000, but that concept does not work for me.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I follow the same logic as RC in a lot of ways. The FZ7/9 are a hoot to ride. Yes the suspension sucks and I really like having ABS and they don't. But I've at time considered picking up one for a beat around town bike.

But after riding the KTM Super Duke R (SDR), all I thought was this is like an FZ09 on steroids with all the goodies thrown in such as ABS, traction control, etc. Very close to the same weight but one heck of a motor. That is the naked I'd buy. For a few grand more than the Z (new vs new), I'd go with the KTM. That motor is a beast when you take off the ride aids but with them on, you can go wickedly fast and it doesn't bite you.

The SDR has to be one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden and brings out your inner hooligan even more than the FZ7/9 do. Although I was surprised how much I liked the FZ07. It was a lot of fun too, very cheap to feed and at a great pricepoint. Not quite the wheelie monster the 9 is but still pretty good.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
But after riding the KTM Super Duke R (SDR), all I thought was this is like an FZ09 on steroids with all the goodies thrown in such as ABS, traction control, etc. Very close to the same weight but one heck of a motor. That is the naked I'd buy. For a few grand more than the Z (new vs new), I'd go with the KTM.
I would love a KTM...a huge fan. I just don't ride enough to justify the cost, the Z is half the price. New leftover z or N1k 2015=8999.00 OTD, New Z or N1k 2016=9999.00 OTD. Note I have to pay my own taxes.

I am all over the place on my search. Now checking out ZX14r left over and used are greatly reduced. No rush...next week headed to Mexico for 10 days. Hopefully when I get back the weather should be better for riding. :)

BTW...I don't ride over 100 mph much. I live in RI and the roads suck. I do love acceleration and getting to 100 fast. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts