Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced mine for the second time on my 2018 Ninja 1000.

At 4,500 miles, the front was on its wear bars on the sides, the center was not and looked as though it would go another 500 miles on the highway. The rear looked like it had another 1,000+ mile son it. Amazing how long that rear lasts on the N1k.

What's striking is the front RS3's, even when the sides were at its wear bars, was not as triangulated as other tires normally get. In fact, the steering feel was just starting to feel reluctant. But even so, it was just a little bit. It was still enjoyable to lean the bike over and it would hold a smooth arc through a turn. This really means you don't suffer through bad handling the last 500 miles of that front tire. I don't think I've ever had that happen on any other sport tire or ST tire I have ever owned. Only on the Dunlop RS3's.

And that rear just look great! It's definitely fatter than most 190/55's. I'm so happy with the Dunlops. I can't think of switching to anything else for my N1k's.

Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

·
Registered
404 Posts
Must be doing a lot more canyons than I've been doing lately these days. I'm get 6k miles a set out of the Q3+ mostly commuting

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I neglected to say that yes, the 2018 N1k is about 50% twisties and 50% freeway droning to and from the twisties. I commuted on it for about 500 miles but wouldn't have impacted anything.

On my previous VFR800, which did mostly commuting duties, the RS3's did indeed last 6k miles. By that time the rear was getting squared and so was the front.

On my 2012 N1k, purely commuting with Continental Attack tires (sport tires), they only lasted 3k miles just like the stock Bridgestone S20's. And the front did square off and did their "sunset dance" of reluctant steering and needing constant bar pressure in turns during that last 500-700 miles.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Col, you tried the q3+ as well, right? Turmeltr's comments about the q3+ convinced me to try a set, and he was 100% correct. They are an awesome tire.

Do you like the roadsmarts as much? The q3+ has this stiff sidewall feel, and its......I dont have a word, but it's what a tire should feel like.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've tried the Q3+ but prefer the S21's. The OEM ones were crap that I took off at 1000 miles. I'm getting at least 5000 miles on mostly twisty roads on the S21's. I really like the profile of the tires. I just put a set on my GSXR1000.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
This is interesting. I still have the stock tires and have about 2000 miles. I don't like them very much because the front seems to catch on any road imperfections.

I had the Q3 and Q3+ on my prior bike which was a Speed Triple. I also had the Pilot Road5. They all had crappy mileage but great feel. I love the twisties but do commute to work a few days a week (RT is 26 miles).

I'm very anal about pressure and check almost every ride. So, it's not related to neglect.

I might change these tires ahead of time and look at Roadsmarts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Another vote for the Roadsmart 3. For me they feel more on the sport side of the sport touring equation than other ST tires I have tried, and they keep their profile well as they wear. I don't ride as aggressively on the street as I once did. Feel like I have beaten the odds for too long and decided to slow down a bit so the RS 3 is perfect for the way I ride now. Excellent dry grip for an ST tire.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just returned from a spirited ride in the mountains today on my new RS3's. They turn in so nicely. Very neutral. It maintains a line and stays put unless I give the bars input. Even when temps got down to mid-30's the grip was consistent and confidence inspiring. When I first got them on I rode through some rain on my commute. They felt ok. The N1k's traction control was awesome. I could launch normal, with a healthy does of throttle, and there was not a single wheelspin nor a weird power cut from the TC. Just smooth, strong, launches in the wet! Great job Kawasaki on the software programming! The RS3's are a great compliment for the N1k, especially if you want long life and consistent road feel throughout most of its useful life.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
I drank the Kool Aid too and I'm happy that I did! I wanted to get the rear in the stock size but they only had the 55.

Compared to the stock S20s, I feel so much more confident in the twisties and the bike transitions so much better. I'm not sure if that is because of going to the 55, getting new tires or that the Roadsmart is just that much better?

I've had experience with many different tires on prior bikes. For the N1K, this is only the first aftermarket tire. But, these tires just seem like the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts