Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found some grip puppies to go over my grips, seen alot of good reviews on this brand, hopefully will be here soon, will see what these do for vibration in the bars, with this arthritis i have hopefully it will help, ive already got two fingers that stay numb all the time. Also got one of thos wide kickstand pads for when your in the soft stuff.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I removed the factory grips and put on gel grips - didn't help. Bought the Grab On Grips Grip Cover from Amazon and covered the gels - didn't help. Now I'm trying to use a much looser grip on the handles.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i didnt have this arthritis issue would not be a problem for me, basically its my left hand where the arthritis has affected my fingers,

·
Registered
46 Posts
My favorite grips

I really like the Oury grips. Cut down on vibration a lot. Good size too. A bit larger than stock so your hands don't cramp on long rides. You'll need to cut a hole in the end with an exacto knife or razor blade to put the bar ends on.
Put the grips in hot water for 10 minutes and slide them on hot and wet. Don't use glue or hairspray except on track bike.

Road/Street Grips - Oury Grip USA

Cheaper on ebay. Just make sure get the road-street grips for motorcycles.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the Oury grips. Cut down on vibration a lot. Good size too. A bit larger than stock so your hands don't cramp on long rides. You'll need to cut a hole in the end with an exacto knife or razor blade to put the bar ends on.
Put the grips in hot water for 10 minutes and slide them on hot and wet. Don't use glue or hairspray except on track bike.

Do you remove your grips or do these go over them

·
Registered
46 Posts
These are grips, not covers. They fit my hands perfectly. I have them on my Ninja 1000, FZ1 and both my dirt bikes KLX450 and WR250. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon and other sites to get a better idea of what people think. They are all I use.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts

I have those same grips, but the mountain bike version for my, of course, mountain bike. Those are the best grips I've ever run in my life. I'm definitely going to pick up a set for my WR. My Ninja has grip heaters, so it's a no go for that bike, sadly.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill know friday if they work, im going to do alot of riding on this long weekend, now if they only had a helmet that would filter out pollen, i been getting my arse kicked every time i go out and ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have those same grips, but the mountain bike version for my, of course, mountain bike. Those are the best grips I've ever run in my life. I'm definitely going to pick up a set for my WR. My Ninja has grip heaters, so it's a no go for that bike, sadly.
I have them on my mountain bikes also. That's where I first learned about them, but that's for a different forum.
On my FZ1 I'm using the Heat Demon grip heaters under the Oury grips and they work great. I'm sure the OEM setup looks much better. The Heat Demons kinda say "after market" but they do work really good. Better suited for a dirt bike, looks wise.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Did you use soap to install yours or did you use the air method to blow them on
I just used water mixed with a little dish soap... takes a little work to get them on but not too bad. :) I'm not sure they reduce vibration but they are nicer to hang onto than the thin hard OEM grips.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably use soap myself maybe i want rip them, ill no instantly with my left hand if there is any vibration reducing qualities

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got the grip puppies on order too. When I was out riding today I realized how skinny and hard the stock grips are and so I'm looking forward to something thicker and more comfortable to hang on to. It should be a big improvement!

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got the grip puppies on order too. When I was out riding today I realized how skinny and hard the stock grips are and so I'm looking forward to something thicker and more comfortable to hang on to. It should be a big improvement!
I have not seen no negative reviews about them oldrider maybe we will find an improvement, if not wouldnt be the first time i threw a twenty dollar bill away lol

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I think you guys will really like them... I've heard of people using hairspray to get aftermarket grips on. Not sure if it activates an adhesive on the inside of the grip or what... maybe a different brand than Grip Puppies

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grip puppies came early, got them installed i thought it was going to be a tough job took about 5 seconds per side. I put half soap and half water about an inch deep in a small cup and stirred it up real good, applied to all inside surfaces and made sure it felt slick and they slid right on with no straining. I think the key is to stir it up real good. I put in dish washing liquid and then added a little water and felt of it and it really wasnt good and slick till i stirred it up. Hopefully the weather will straighten out and i can go try them out later this evening.

Reactions: sprockethead

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Mark,

Mine showed up today too. Unfortunately I had a very tough time getting them on. I followed your instructions and they went right over the bar end weights but got stuck on the lip at the end of the stock grips. I ended up taking the bar end weights off and using a small tire tool to help get them on. It took a lot of effort and was very frustrating but in reality the whole task took about 30 mins. I went out for a ride and though I can still feel some vibrations the extra diameter and soft touch were much appreciated. So I like them a lot, thanks for the inspiration to order them.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow old rider i pushed mine over the bar weights and the bottom got hung on the grip flange and i pulled it over and they slipped right on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do you have the lockwashers on there? I felt like the gap was too large for them to span it without getting hung up. I had soap on everything so I had trouble griping the grips. The tire tool definitely helped. Anyway they are on and I like them. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts