Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help Ninja Brothers and Sisters. Rode the ninja to school one morning and noticed coolant leaking from the bottom? After work rode it home ( 1 mile ) and removed the fairing and found this: I keep the bike inside but yet a mouse has been chewing the hose, which is where the coolant is leaking from. Can I replace this hose or is this a professional job? Just to get to the hose looks like a big job. I ride this about 2 times a week so I’m really surprised by this. What do you say????
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
<< snip >> I keep the bike inside but yet a mouse has been chewing the hose, which is where the coolant is leaking from. Can I replace this hose or is this a professional job? Just to get to the hose looks like a big job.
View attachment 32462
I can't quiet work out just which hose this is. It looks like it is the hose that connects at one end to the engine block, and the other end to the steel pipe from the water pump. (see attached parts diagram)

Anyway, if you can you see and get the hose clamps at both ends of the hose, it should be easy enough to loosen the clamps and fit a new hose.

Draining and re-filling the coolant is a simple task.

Font Slope Line Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clamp part goes on the right and hose goes out than down. Looks like I may have to remove the tank to get better access and views. Not sure? Still can’t believe a mouse was chewing on it, as much as I baby these bikes!!!

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
The clamp part goes on the right and hose goes out than down. Looks like I may have to remove the tank to get better access and views. Not sure? Still can’t believe a mouse was chewing on it, as much as I baby these bikes!!!
This doesn't really look like rodent nibblings to me. I've had mice chew up a seat cover before.
But it did remind me of a garden hose that I once dribbled bleach on. It was like it just totally weakened the rubber cover and when I moved it it just flaked away. Maybe other chemicals as well?
Just exploring other possibilities.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took off other fairing and have a view of the whole hose. Only about 3 inches long, curved. From engine block to don’t know? Can’t reach in there with my hands. Not sure if I can’t reach it lifting up the tank?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tread Alloy wheel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts