Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Except for the really low priced tires, low mileage usually (not always) means the tires are softer and stickier.

In the CBR world, the mileage we get from the Dunlop Q3+ is usually more than, say, the stickier Dunlop Q4 or Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa.

So, it all depends on your application. If you are planning to carve canyons at well above the legal speed limit, then go for the stickier ones. Touring tires is a compromise and I'm sure this has been talked about (to death) in this thread.

There's a tip here if you really want to optimize the money you spend: some people in the CBR world put a stickier tire on the front and a longer lasting tire on the rear. E.g. a Dunlop Q4 (front) and Q3+ rear.
This mirrors my experience. (y)

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
34 Posts
Except for the really low priced tires, low mileage usually (not always) means the tires are softer and stickier.

In the CBR world, the mileage we get from the Dunlop Q3+ is usually more than, say, the stickier Dunlop Q4 or Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa.

So, it all depends on your application. If you are planning to carve canyons at well above the legal speed limit, then go for the stickier ones. Touring tires is a compromise and I'm sure this has been talked about (to death) in this thread.

There's a tip here if you really want to optimize the money you spend: some people in the CBR world put a stickier tire on the front and a longer lasting tire on the rear. E.g. a Dunlop Q4 (front) and Q3+ rear.
Thanks for the tip which makes perfect sense as my front tyre is still useable whereas I have to change the rear tyre. The thing is that I really like the front tyre of the Roadsmart IVs

·
Registered
83 Posts
I now have 3221 miles on a new set of Michelin Road 6 tires. I'm really scratching my head because these tires have only worn 1 mm of tread in all those miles. I was diligent this time about measuring tread depth. The new front started with 5.5 mm depth and the rear 6.5 mm depth. Given it's recommended to change front with 1 mm left and the rear at 2 mm that gives 4.5 mm of working tread depth for each tire before changing.

Here are the caveats: those 3221 miles were almost all smooth roads. Even the ~1300 miles at the MSTA rally in eastern Missouri this week were smooth roads. Of the 3221 miles I would estimate about 1000 miles were spirited riding on twisty roads pushing the bike. I'm a fairly new rider so I'm not yet pushing the bike to it's full potential but I felt confident on the Road 6 tires in high speed turns and never felt like the tires were giving way.

Even with the above caveats, I'm quite pleased with the new Michelin Road 6 tires. My original factory tires were just about bald at 6500 miles. If the trend continues (and I don't start riding too many miles on tire-shredding roads), I should get many more miles out of the Road 6 tires. I'll provide more updates as the mileage increases.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts