Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading other forums *sorry I don't live and breathe only N1K) and it dawned on me with a cursory observation when it comes to tyre recommendations I am noticing a trend that it bike brand related.
A lot of Kawasaki Guys recommend the Bridgestone S22 a lot of Yamaha guys recommend Dunlops / Pirelli

Now obviously I have not put any in depth research into this and have no data to verify a trend and you always have the guys that just say to put whatever version of the Pilot road we are up to on - but it got me wondering do you think that that the bike you have sways the choice of tyre you would recommend? Do you notice a trend of "X" brand bike riders going with a certain tyre or tyre brand or should I have a nap and move on?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally, I go with Michelin regardless of what bike (or car) needs tires. When the original S22's wear out on the 1000SX, I'm planning to switch to Michelin Power 5's.

Most of my friends have tire brand preferences they always buy regardless of the bike.

One friend with an R1 will only run Pirelli's. He looked at my new bike with the S22's and asks me why I even bothered taking delivery of the bike before fitting new tires. When the Ninja gets Michelin's, he'll make some similar remark.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yes, I frequent several other forums as well, and I agree that different bikes seem to get a different following on tires. Oddly enough there does not seem to be any wrong answers 😉

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I run S22's on every bike I care about, including the Yamaha bikes I've had. I'm exactly opposite of above. I've pulled perfectly good Michelin tires off bikes before I'll even ride them. I'm not a fan. Lots of Yamaha riders around here and they mostly ride Dunlop. I have Dunlop's on three of my bikes, only because they were cheap.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I started with Brigdestone S21 years back and put them on every bike I have bought (except the FJR and I sold it before I could get the tires switched), and then with the S22 when they were introduced. My 2020 N1K is the first new bike I have bought that came with S22's. The only exception, was recently I went with a set of RS4's. I may go back to S22's, but I'm going to try and wear out the RS4's first. I haven't noticed riders sticking with the brand that came on their bike, but that may be just because I haven't paid attention, there may be something in your observation @Minlak.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
The German magazine, motorrad, it like a consumer reports for motorcycles. They have sport tire shootouts every few years. Once a few brands upgrade nought to make it worthwhile.

I thought it was I teresting to see how even the top few choices were in overall performance. Based on their results a good deal, or rebate migght make the difference. The last michelin i liked was rhe pr2. From that point on, its as if they went insane over wet performance, and dry performance suffered.
Font Office supplies Parallel Magenta Event

Font Multimedia Gadget Audio equipment Number

Reactions: Geoff C

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
614 Posts
I have noticed riders sticking with the brand that came on their bike, but that may be just because I haven't paid attention, there may be something in your observation
I noticed that in myself as well.
Could it be that the bike manufacturer has done most of their testings on that particular tire model? May be. I don't know.
But, the same model seem to be performing on the top end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tire choice IMHO is really subjective. Go with what feels good to you and inspires confidence. There are so many great tires in the aftermarket it can get overwhelming in making a decision.

When I purchased my, new to me 20' NK1, the previous owner had installed the Road 5's. I ran power 5's on my 18' Street Triple RS after wearing out the OEM Pirelli's ( apples to oranges bike wise) and really liked them.

I have been pleased with the R5's. I'm probably just average when it comes to riding but my last trip up to the Mtn's of N/GA they felt really good on the edge and mileage wise they are holding up well.

David

·
Registered
2021 Ninja SX
16 Posts
So I was reading other forums *sorry I don't live and breathe only N1K) and it dawned on me with a cursory observation when it comes to tyre recommendations I am noticing a trend that it bike brand related.
A lot of Kawasaki Guys recommend the Bridgestone S22 a lot of Yamaha guys recommend Dunlops / Pirelli

Now obviously I have not put any in depth research into this and have no data to verify a trend and you always have the guys that just say to put whatever version of the Pilot road we are up to on - but it got me wondering do you think that that the bike you have sways the choice of tyre you would recommend? Do you notice a trend of "X" brand bike riders going with a certain tyre or tyre brand or should I have a nap and move on?
Bridgestone guy here. Running T32's right not. Love the way they handle and milage so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I run S22's on every bike I care about, including the Yamaha bikes I've had. I'm exactly opposite of above. I've pulled perfectly good Michelin tires off bikes before I'll even ride them. I'm not a fan. Lots of Yamaha riders around here and they mostly ride Dunlop. I have Dunlop's on three of my bikes, only because they were cheap.
My s22s were done at 4500 miles, and I went with the Continental road attack 3s. Very please so far after 1500 ish miles. The s22s were already squaring off at 1500, and the continentals still look new. They have all the grip I can use, and so far I'm confident I might get 7k out of them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My s22s were done at 4500 miles, and I went with the Continental road attack 3s. Very please so far after 1500 ish miles. The s22s were already squaring off at 1500, and the continentals still look new. They have all the grip I can use, and so far I'm confident I might get 7k out of them.
If you are comparing the OEM ties that came with the bike, I'd agree. Mine were dead at 1500 miles. Each set of S22's I buy retail are good for 7000+ miles and great all the way to needing replacement.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm actually shocked my MT10 came with S20 a pretty old tyre now - And whilst I am not the most aggressive rider it hasn't let me down at all (no wet riding really which is their main criticism) I have 3000kms on them now and probably half gone - So we know 2nd half goes faster so I expect 4500-5000 kms which is pretty good for OEM

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm actually shocked my MT10 came with S20 a pretty old tyre now - And whilst I am not the most aggressive rider it hasn't let me down at all (no wet riding really which is their main criticism) I have 3000kms on them now and probably half gone - So we know 2nd half goes faster so I expect 4500-5000 kms which is pretty good for OEM
S20's on a 2021 MT10 surprises me also. What is the manufacture date of those OEM tires? Yamaha must have a lot of them. I've never used an S20, I started using the Hypersport with the introduction of the S21 and then on to the S22 when they were introduced. I felt the S21 and especially the S22's are excellent in the rain. My biggest complaint is the center flatting out early in the wear process. At 3K Kms are your S20 oem's starting to flatten out on the center (mainly rear tire)? I recently switched to try a set of Roadsmart 4's and with 3200 km they show no flattening on the center yet.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
S20's on a 2021 MT10 surprises me also. What is the manufacture date of those OEM tires? Yamaha must have a lot of them. I've never used an S20, I started using the Hypersport with the introduction of the S21 and then on to the S22 when they were introduced. I felt the S21 and especially the S22's are excellent in the rain. My biggest complaint is the center flatting out early in the wear process. At 3K Kms are your S20 oem's starting to flatten out on the center (mainly rear tire)? I recently switched to try a set of Roadsmart 4's and with 3200 km they show no flattening on the center yet.
Yeah 100% they have flattened quite obviously - We suffer from that on all tyres here though as its almost 100kms to the first actual curvy road that is not just one or two turns - Date is week 46 2020 on a 21 year bike seems right to me :)
And yes when I picked bike up I was expecting at least 21's but more likely 22's or even something Dunlop

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well, it's good the tires aren't old stock. And I understand about the distance you travel to get to the twisties, I used to have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
Unless the bike goes through a full manufacture tire test, it will be sent out on the oem tire it was tested with when the bike was new. It's rare that an unchanged bike will see a different tire I'm sure the new (???) Ok, it is somewhat new mt10 has a newer tire.

·
Registered
2021 1000SX, Akra slip on, KQR side cases, to be continued.....
85 Posts
Installed Michelin Road 6 front and rear about 250 miles ago. So far I like them very much. Feel much better than the previous OEM shoes but of course, don't new tires always feel better? Spent Sunday morning rippin around some local twisties and felt nice n grippy. I'm not sure when I'll get to try them out in the rain but if they perform as well as the 4 and 5 versions I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I bought my Ninja 1000sx with the OEM S22s and swapped them with 5000 km on the clocks for Dunlop Roadsmart IV. The rear has lasted 7000 km of spirited riding. I really liked the front tyre, gave me lots of confidence. I’m satisfied but for the mileage but for me it’s hard to say whether any other tyre would have lasted longer, given the conditions. I try to put on the most recent set of tyres available for the bike, I don’t think that you can go wrong with that and obviously I’m restricted in my choice by what is on offer at my dealer.
If I have the choice, I will put Pilot 6s on next week simply because it’s the most recent product on the market but would equally be happy with Continentals RoadAttack 3 (or is it 4?) or Dunlops again. Slightly less keen on the S22s, not because of how they performed on the bike, simply because the milieage I got out of them was considerably less than on the Dunlops with more clement riding conditions. Was it because they were the OEMs? I cannot tell.
Cheers

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
614 Posts
Hi, I bought my Ninja 1000sx with the OEM S22s and swapped them with 5000 km on the clocks for Dunlop Roadsmart IV. The rear has lasted 7000 km of spirited riding. I really liked the front tyre, gave me lots of confidence. I’m satisfied but for the mileage but for me it’s hard to say whether any other tyre would have lasted longer, given the conditions. I try to put on the most recent set of tyres available for the bike, I don’t think that you can go wrong with that and obviously I’m restricted in my choice by what is on offer at my dealer.
If I have the choice, I will put Pilot 6s on next week simply because it’s the most recent product on the market but would equally be happy with Continentals RoadAttack 3 (or is it 4?) or Dunlops again. Slightly less keen on the S22s, not because of how they performed on the bike, simply because the milieage I got out of them was considerably less than on the Dunlops with more clement riding conditions. Was it because they were the OEMs? I cannot tell.
Cheers
Except for the really low priced tires, low mileage usually (not always) means the tires are softer and stickier.

In the CBR world, the mileage we get from the Dunlop Q3+ is usually more than, say, the stickier Dunlop Q4 or Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa.

So, it all depends on your application. If you are planning to carve canyons at well above the legal speed limit, then go for the stickier ones. Touring tires is a compromise and I'm sure this has been talked about (to death) in this thread.

There's a tip here if you really want to optimize the money you spend: some people in the CBR world put a stickier tire on the front and a longer lasting tire on the rear. E.g. a Dunlop Q4 (front) and Q3+ rear.

Reactions: Squidlius
1 - 20 of 23 Posts