Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
These detailed posts are a great resource! Are you using 3M 1080 or 2080 vinyl? Also, what knifeless tape are you using? 3M knifeless tape is ridiculously expensive and Wrapcuts is stiff and crappy (the cutting thread is offset and the narrow edge tends to break and stay trapped under the cut vinyl). I tried JWL's "Mock ST" knifeless tape (from Amazon) as recommended by Christian Kungl and it works great AND it's pretty cheap to buy - less than half of what 3M tape costs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
These detailed posts are a great resource! Are you using 3M 1080 or 2080 vinyl? Also, what knifeless tape are you using? 3M knifeless tape is ridiculously expensive and Wrapcuts is stiff and crappy (the cutting thread is offset and the narrow edge tends to break and stay trapped under the cut vinyl). I tried JWL's "Mock ST" knifeless tape (from Amazon) as recommended by Christian Kungl and it works great AND it's pretty cheap to buy - less than half of what 3M tape costs.
The Gloss Wasabi Green is Hexis brand vinyl and is very easy to work with. Stretches and shrinks predictably and doesn't get a marred finish if you have to work it a bit to get it into place. For best results you stretch and lay the vinyl without adding heat and then shrink/set it with heat afterwards.

The Gloss Metallic Black and the Matte Black are both 3M 2080 vinyl. The 2080 matte black was also very easy to work with, although it uses a different method for application - it likes to be heated and pushed/stretched into position while still warm. All those curves and angles inside the lower fairings required heating and stretching and had to be lifted and moved a bit to get it to conform to the shapes. It gave me no trouble (other than me making mistakes in application) and came out perfect in the end.

The 2080 gloss colors are a completely different animal though... they are not the easiest vinyl to work with. The gloss colors come with an overwrap that is very thin, like Saran Wrap, that is supposed to protect the finish while you install it - and it does protect the top finish. All my issues are with the adhesive. If you do not get it to stretch and lie flat the first time, it will begin to bond and leave glue residue behind if you lift it back up. This is all fine and good if you are doing a large flat surface like a car hood or door. But if you have to work it into multiple angles and constantly shift it, it just looks bad upon close inspection once you are done. This finish is not smooth like you would expect and has visible lines under the surface. I've read online that some of it will smooth out over time when exposed to the sun, but I'm not holding my breath!

I have already wrapped the right side upper fairing (pictures coming soon) and I ended up laying the gloss black parts down in 3 pieces. It still was not perfect, but the finish is much, much better since I was able to lay it down in flatter sections and not have to work/lift it much to get into position. Although the entire right upper fairing is wrapped now, I am going to use the knowledge/lessons learned in doing it for the first time to make the left side better. If the left side comes out like I hope, then the right side may get re-wrapped after I complete the whole bike.

As far as the knifeless tape goes... I am using 3M Finish Line and Design Line. I had a partial 50m roll of Design Line left from previous wrap, and I bought a 10m roll of Finish Line just for this project. Of the two, I prefer the Finish Line. It has a thinner filament and has not broken once since I started using it. I don't know if sitting in a garage for over a year had any effect on the product, but the Design Line has broken on me on multiple occasions when trying to start a cut. I have been able to salvage the work every time so far with some creative solutions... and a lot of cussing... but I'm probably not buying it again if the Finish Line continues to work flawlessly. I might try the Mock ST sometime, but I'm ordering a 50m roll of Finish Line for future work for now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Good photos and info! Thanks again for taking the time to share this. I agree with RC. Definitely impressed with the green. Looks fantastic.
Yeah, the green looks just like paint and has really impressed me so far. I'm glad I started with the green and not the black. The black has been problematic and I would not recommend it for anything but nearly flat surfaces.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I cannot believe your patience in doing this.

Keep sharing and amazing work!

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Started the upper fairings with the heat deflector and rib section in matte black. I could probably do it in one piece, but figuring out the angle to cut the vinyl to get the rib in the right place was more than my brain could deal with at the time. So 2 pieces with the help of knifeless tape will do just fine! You can see in the 2nd pic that I already have the knifeless in place at the angle where the heat deflector begins.

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
One tip with the heat deflector section... start at the top and work down. I did not, and had trouble getting the wrinkles out on the inner side where the fastener tab is located. You can see the material is not smoothed down in that section on the bottom photo. I had to work it a bit to get it all flat and tension free.

Hood Sleeve Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Sleeve Grey Automotive design Collar

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
But it came out well in the end. One thing I am going to do on the other side is have the black go up a bit more at the top to make it an easier transition to green. Having contrasting colors meet at sharp crease with a radius is hard to pull off even with knifeless tape. The transition line has to follow the radius perfectly or it will stand out. The bottom pic shows where the rib and heat deflector pieces meet. There is actually a bit of air trapped showing in this photo. I have since pushed it out and the seam pretty much disappears.

Wheel Hood Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive design Vehicle door Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The upper section I'm doing the 3M Gloss Metallic Black. Because of my failed attempt to do it in one piece on my test fairing, It is being completed in 3 pieces with the help of my friend... knifeless tape! Since I am just laying the vinyl in and smoothing it down, the finish is really, really good with no imperfections like the glue lines and tiny wrinkles as seen previously. I still had issues in that deep crease, but I didn't discover it until I added the green. Bottom pic is completed section after the knifeless tape was pulled.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Laying more knifeless down for the side piece. I should have done the top piece first and the side piece last to keep the edge of the seams opposite from the normal viewing angle to make them less noticeable. Live and learn! The glossiness of the black hides this mistake well enough and I'm more than likely going to re-do this side after the whole bike is done, so I'll fix it then. Bottom pic shows completed side piece installed over the base piece. Again, since the vinyl wasn't worked into position, the finish is very good.

Hood Bicycle frame Vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Sports equipment

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Adding green to blend with the headlight cowling section. I did the it in 2 pieces as I seem to have and issue with the adhesive bonding at a tight crease areas. Probably an installer error... :sneaky: .
Bottom pic is a test fit after completing the upper green and black vinyl... onto the main section next!

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I'll give you the fast forward version...

Top pic: Laid down some green vinyl
Bottom pic: It came out great*!

* There were some mistakes... I covered them up. :p The mistakes don't really bother me. I'm learning along the way and I'm sure I'm going to be doing this again. So I'm having fun with it. And even with the little issues here and there, it still looks really good overall.

One note to anyone looking to do this as well... The front section where the black plastic attaches to the leading edge - don't leave a 1/4" edge of black there, wrap to the edge. You can see that far into it when you peek behind the plastic edging. I have a nice straight line, so it looks okay, but I would prefer the color go all the way next time. If you had, say a red fairing and trying to cover with green, you would see red behind the plastic if you didn't wrap to the edge.

Green Sleeve Sportswear Jacket Font

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Okay... test fit time for the right hand side... not bad! Bottom pic in the sunshine with the windscreen on looks killer. I threw on the 2008 ZX10 mirror as well...

I'm not sure I like the black stripe look of it between the side and headlight cowling sections. I photoshopped a pic to get an idea of what it would look like, but the reality is a bit more in your face - or it is to me. Hmmm.... :unsure:

I'm going to wrap the rear cowl in green with black accents. It got scratched up in the crash, but it doesn't appear so in the photos. I also have the ZX6R front fender that will be black and green as well... stay tuned!

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
244 Posts
Okay... test fit time for the right hand side... not bad! Bottom pic in the sunshine with the windscreen on looks killer. I threw on the 2008 ZX10 mirror as well...

I'm not sure I like the black stripe look of it between the side and headlight cowling sections. I photoshopped a pic to get an idea of what it would look like, but the reality is a bit more in your face - or it is to me. Hmmm.... :unsure:

I'm going to wrap the rear cowl in green with black accents. It got scratched up in the crash, but it doesn't appear so in the photos. I also have the ZX6R front fender that will be black and green as well... stay tuned!
That looks fantastic man! Thanks for sharing the process. Personally, I think the black stripe b/n the side and headlight looks great. It breaks up the green a bit and gives it some contrast. The added detail of wrapping the turn signals really helps too. That's a nice touch.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts