Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured since I was going to attempt to wrap the Ninja 1000 plastics, I would share my suffering with all of you! :D I have wrapped a few things before - chrome delete window trim on my BMW, and covering the fake woodgrain dash and trim inserts with a fake carbon fiber in the same BMW... lol. But most of those parts were flat and straight and on the beginner level as far as skill needed to pull off. I've spent many hours on YouTube now learning some of the tricks of the trade... but actually applying what I've seen to real world parts will be the real learning experience. For some background, my bike is a 2012 that was Matte Metallic Silver/Black. After a lowside riding the Tail of the Dragon in 2014 (I think), I replaced the MM Silver with Black mid-fairings from the 2013 model to make an all black bike as shown here. This is how she looked prior to my highside incident on the racetrack last month. Only the upper right section of the fairings survived unscathed... everything else, including the tank and windscreen, were smashed, cracked, broken, or heavily scratched. So this is where the journey begins...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the next day I started buying parts... but I'm not filing this incident with my insurance company, so all costs are out of pocket. Despite my mentioning that I have a BMW, I don't really have any money! :D So I scoured eBay and other salvage parts sites looking for replacement parts at a fraction of the cost of new parts. I bought an undertail plastic pan from a 2015 and a subframe from a 2016. I looked high and low for a black gas tank, but could not find one that was not dented or damaged in some way. But I did find a Candy Lime Green tank that was in excellent condition So after wrestling with the idea of going green despite my preference for black... I bought the tank and decided to go all in on green. But even salvaged fairings add up to quite a lot when you need nearly every single piece. So I took a chance on an unpainted set of aftermarket fairings as well. Both my tank find and the fairings as received are below.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Hood

Sleeve Grey Floor Flooring Automotive design

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I installed the gas cap and fuel pump into the new tank and mounted to the bike. I also test fitted the fairings because we all know that aftermarket fairings are notorious for fitting poorly. Surprisingly, the plastics fit rather well. But they are not only unpainted, they are unfinished - meaning they were packaged right out of the mold with no smoothing of rough surfaces or removal of mold flashing. But still, for less than $300 I got a 17 piece set of plastics that just need some surface sanding and minor shaping of openings and edges. I don't mind putting in the work and I'll have an even greater bond to the bike (if that's even possible) since I am contributing to the fit and finish of her latest makeover! I also mounted the new Puig windscreen to see how the 4 bolt model fits on a 6 bolt assembly. From here on out, I'm going to be turning all this white into Metallic Green/Metallic Black/Matte Black. The windscreen is even going to get a makeover of sorts and I have plans for the black tail cowl as well...

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
How are the black, trim pieces? Ebay saves the day if a person only needs 1 piece of any of the black pieces, but if you needed 2 or 3, a person would save money by ordering the complete kit, like you did,and just have the other pieces for fun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Normally you would have to go to a paint shop to hopefully get a match to the factory Candy Lime Green in order to color match the aftermarket fairings to the factory tank color. But I got amazingly lucky and found a vinyl wrap color sample by Hexis called Gloss Metallic Wasabi Green that is a very close match to the factory color. This will allow me to wrap the fairings in a solid color without having to resort to a graphic pattern to hide color differences. While I could probably paint the fairings, I don't have the equipment needed to do it properly and obtaining it would be costly. Wrapping, on the other hand, just takes a minimal investment in tools and materials. Time and patience are the real cost...
Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Green Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How are the black, trim pieces? Ebay saves the day if a person only needs 1 piece of any of the black pieces, but if you needed 2 or 3, a person would save money by ordering the complete kit, like you did,and just have the other pieces for fun.
They aren't bad either. They seem a bit less flexible, but I'm using all the black pieces as well. Because they are bit more rigid, you have to work them into position more than the factory parts in order to line up the fastener holes. But once fastened down, I can't tell them from the factory pieces by looking at them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I started with the tail section thinking it wouldn't be too hard to do. I sanded it to get a smooth finish and removed all the mold flashing. I decided to paint the underside black because it can be seen when the seat is off and I wanted it to look finished and complete - not like the cheap knockoff part that it is! ;) I also painted the top edges and the mounting points black because they would be difficult, if not impossible, to wrap. Besides, it looks better black to me in the final piece.

Wood Automotive exterior Road surface Rectangle Composite material

Hood Rectangle Wood Automotive lighting Tints and shades

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And so it begins... I cut a 24 x 20 inch piece off the roll and got to work. Because I needed to be able to pull and stretch the vinyl a bit to work the angles and curves, I mounted it back on the bike to make it easier to work on. Let me tell you, this isn't as easy as it seems. I am glad I watched a lot of videos as many of the techniques came into play. But it takes some practice to be able to execute them properly. Suffice to say, I did not finish this piece in a short period of time. It took me hours... But damn, it came out good. Underside is a tease.... finished piece in next post!

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Hood

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my first really technical wrap is complete and I am very happy with the result. The finished part looks painted and I would bet anyone who didn't know any better couldn't tell the difference. And the color match still blows me away. I will say that the depth of the finish is not as deep looking as the tanks factory paint, but in the sunlight it has the exact same gold undertones and the metal flake density is also identical. This is going to be like having a new bike when I get finished!

Tire Hood Wheel Automotive tire Green

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And one last close up of it from the rear. I'll be updating with progress as I wrap the other fairing pieces and I'll try to remember to take some photos of the process as I go. I was so excited after I started that I forgot to take any pics of the tricky areas or issues I had. All the other parts will be multi-colored/multi-pieced, so you'll get to see how I inlay/overlay different colors to make the final piece. Updates in a few days... I have to sand and paint first and nobody wants to see that!

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow - nice effort - I spent 2 hrs trying to wrap a very simple side piece in carbon looking wrap and when I finally got it to where I wanted it and looked ok the whole lot just peeled off - lol maybe I shouldn't have used the piece that's been in my shed for 5 years.

Is that wrap you got UV stabilised? Did they give you a time frame for it lasting - When I looked into it last the quality of the wrap was matched with a "Lifespan" of the wrap like 2yrs or 5 yrs or 10 years

That green looks amazing

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow - nice effort - I spent 2 hrs trying to wrap a very simple side piece in carbon looking wrap and when I finally got it to where I wanted it and looked ok the whole lot just peeled off - lol maybe I shouldn't have used the piece that's been in my shed for 5 years.

Is that wrap you got UV stabilised? Did they give you a time frame for it lasting - When I looked into it last the quality of the wrap was matched with a "Lifespan" of the wrap like 2yrs or 5 yrs or 10 years

That green looks amazing
It's rated for 5 year longevity. But if that is based on constant exposure to the elements, it should last longer in this case. My bike is garaged way more than I like to admit, so its not constantly exposed to the sun. But I've actually changed the look of the bike several times with Plasti-dip in the past. So I might not make it 5 years before I change again! It will depend on how I feel about the wrapping process when I'm finished this time. Future wrapping won't require as much prep since it won't need to be sanded or have the backside painted black again. So we'll see... :D

·
Registered
572 Posts
Looks awesome. I could probably do it because I’ve got plenty of practice with all the right cuss words, and I’m very persistent. But I’m still not sure my sanity would survive the learning curve.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2017 N1K IVANS FLASH
189 Posts
And one last close up of it from the rear. I'll be updating with progress as I wrap the other fairing pieces and I'll try to remember to take some photos of the process as I go. I was so excited after I started that I forgot to take any pics of the tricky areas or issues I had. All the other parts will be multi-colored/multi-pieced, so you'll get to see how I inlay/overlay different colors to make the final piece. Updates in a few days... I have to sand and paint first and nobody wants to see that!

View attachment 32663
AWESOME JOB !!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks excellent. Did you buy any special tools for the job?
I had a heat gun already. I also had a standard wrapping squeegee and a "Chizler" tool for working the film into tight corners/spaces from when I wrapped the parts on my car. I did buy a wrapping glove, an infrared thermometer, and some 3M Knifeless tape. I also just bought a wrapping knife and some blades. The Exacto knife I used on this first part was okay, but it was a bit clumsy to use for this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks really good.
Look forward to the updates.

Reactions: Black Sheep

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow! That looks fantastic! I'm very interested to see the rest. I'm wanting to change to color of my '21 and debating on paint or wrap. I've been leaning towards paint b/c of the color I want (Mazda's Soul Red, code 41v) but it's a 4 stage so it would be hilariously expensive and a wrap would save a bunch of money. I'm just not too sure about my skills wrapping the parts.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts