Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Don't know/don't care

Votes: 2 11.8%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentleman, I do believe I am the first in the world. I received my 2014 Ninja 1000 KQR bags this afternoon and just finished up installing them onto my 2012 Ninja 1000. I took a TON of fabrication and a lot of time to make the install happen. I would NOT recommend trying this yourself. I did it because I started making modifications to the brackets and by then, it was too late. The best part is they work with my Akrapovic Full race exhaust system with the perfect amount of room to spare! I have roughly 2-3 inches of clearance between the bags and the exhaust.

Before you start asking me how, I am considering developing a kit. I haven't completely decided yet, but I'll let you know if I decide to or not. I managed to do the whole install with only drilling 2 holes into the rear subframe and cutting 2 small holes into the black under tail piece. Have a look for yourself!

Reactions: SailorJack

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks great. Guess that answered my question in your other thread. Great job. I'm not sure if you'd make much money building a kit though. Good luck if you go ahead with it though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was thinking the adapter kit would be priced somewhere between $300-500. It would include templates for carving the brackets down, 2 drill holes in the subframe, 2 large holes in the lower plastics, and adapter bracket to make up the space between the 2014 bracket and the 2012 subframe and the bottom of the bags to the passenger pegs. It would end up being a very simple install that would probably take 2-5 hours with a designed kit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few more photo's now that everything is wrapped up and complete. I just ordered an integrated tail light for the bike. I can't figure out a way to do a good integration with the stock turn signals. You can see some of the issues I'm having around the passenger pegs.

Reactions: hundo

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very nice indeed!!! I've been thinking about doing this to my '13 Ninja and someone directed me to this page.

I am interested as to what kind of gap was between the new grab rails and the 2012 subframe that you had to address?

Could one not just swap out a 2014 subframe and mount the bags?

Did you swap your passenger peg mounts out for '14 models?

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
By doign this you are hero, role model, and someone for the youth of this county to look up to!

I dont want bags. I have them on my Concours 14, and thats enough. BUT, you had to go an attach yours to my exact bike...and did an incredible job. Well done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Number9, if you want to pay $5000 for your bags have at it. Through this process I determined that the tail subframe, both plastics, passenger pegs, passenger seat, drivers seat, and full exhaust would need to be changed out. That doesn't include making modifications for any other electronics mounting locations.

The gap between the grab rails and the sub frame was aproximately 1/2". I fabricated a spacer block because the two surfaces weren't parallel with each other. I also had to shave down parts of the grab bars to clear the storage compartment and to gain clearance on my exhaust. I did one side and then mirrored everything to the other side. All in all I had about 18 hours into the install. I've done the hard work and if I decide to develope a kit it should take about 3 hours.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What features are different between the backseats?

By "both plastics", I assume you mean the tail (colored to match the bike) and the undertail, correct? How is the tail different, in shape, mounting points, or what? I haven't seen a 2014 in person so I don't know.

I understand that it would be expensive to do the conversion with OEM parts, but I've got a hang up on doing mods with OEM parts when/if I can, even at the higher cost it results in. By looking at your pics, I've got a very good idea about the mods you needed to do to make these bags work and am fairly confident I could work my way through a similar conversion process. That is not my goal though, I want to do this using all OEM parts, I am just trying to determine which parts I *really* need to buy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trade it in on a 2014. It would be cheaper.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nah, I like my white :) and don't want ABS and traction control on my bikes.

From what I've seen so far, I think it can be done by changing to the 14 subframe and pass pegs unless the tail, under tail and rear seat have different mounting points.

·
Registered
100 Posts
......I'm gonna do it.
I'm gonna order the 14 bags, subframe and pass pegs.

I may find out I'm wrong and have to order more parts or just bail all together, but I'm gonna jump. Factory hard bags were a draw to this bike for me but the Givi brackets made me not order them. The 14 bags are sweet and I think it should be able to do with oem parts.....guess I'll find out for sure, and I'll post pics and details of the whole process either way it works out so we all know *definitively* the if/what/why it does or doesn't work.

Just wonder if it makes a difference if I order the blue or green bags? Gonna paint them white, with primer, so should it matter which color I order?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cases came the other day. The lock cylinders are on backorder?? Pass pegs and subframe weren't in the box though. Cases are nice but I was surprised to see the 11# weight limit sticker inside. Oh well, I know that has some lawyer proofing built in. Hopefully the other parts will be here this week and I'll get to get started on the install and documentation.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry this has been drawn out - Kawasaki had the entire batch of '14 subframes screwed up and actually had 11-13 subframes in the '14 packaging. Can't say enough about the customer service I got from Robert at Kawasaki Parts Pit Stop working with me and Kawasaki on this parts issue and getting it resolved. Anyway, I will copy/paste some earlier steps I did while waiting on the subframe issue to get lined out......

Lame update I know, but once again Kawasaki shipped the wrong subframe to KawasakiPartsPitStop. My contact there said that he notified them of the 3rd mistake and they are pulling the entire batch of subframes as they think they were all mis-labeled. Hope to have the correct one soon.

In the meantime, I've installed the '14 passenger peg hangers and rear fender and figured I'd post up some pics. I debated about just going with an integrated tail light and keeping the 11-13 fender but didn't want those big holes where the turn signals used to be. I like the rear fender actually, and it was near half the price of the integrated tail light, so it was an easy choice.

The '14 fender (half) on the left, the 11-13 fender on the right. Turn signals are a few inches farther to the rear to work with the hard bags.

The fender splits open into two pieces. Getting the license plate light out was a little tricky. You have to remove the easy to reach screw first, then tilt the light assembly to the side to put the inner screw at an angle to allow getting a screw driver on it.

The inside of the fender was real dirty and I've only got a tick over 3K miles so far (shame, I know). The pieces of the fender have a square foam block just sticking in a pocket, to give integrity, or dampen vibes or harmonics?? Who knows, but they are just sticking in there.

I pulled them out to find they have peel and stick backing on them. There wasn't matching pockets on the '14 fender, so I peeled the back and stuck them in a spot where I thought they might block some of the grime from getting so high up in the fender.

I was afraid the wires on the turn signals and plate light would be too short to reach the extra distance, but they all turned out to be long enough to work.
Fender installed and reflective tape added.

'14 passenger peg hangers installed. I didn't realize when I ordered them that they have the mounting provision for the shock preload adjuster. I used the top hole to mount the Powerlet rearset bracket and power socket and it turned out nice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, FINALLY the correct '14 subframe was delivered while I was out of state last week. Got it put on today and everything went on as a simple bolt on affair, just as I suspected and hoped it would.

Undertail dropped down and ready to remove '13 subframe.

Here are the '13 (left) and '14 (right) subframes for comparison.

Once the new subframe was installed I bolted the undertail up and applied a piece of painters tape to make marks where to start the cutting. Holding the new grab rails up in place, I made marks on each side of the rear mounting point on the tape. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and took my time, cutting a small square and checking fit, then repeat until the holes were just right.

I trimmed this unused mounting tab off the socket to allow the wires to lay better between the subframe and undertail and give the grab handle mounting point a little more clearance.

Heres the '14 subframe installed.

And the grab handles. I got the LH hole a little farther down than the RH, but I doubt anyone will notice.

Finally, the bags are on! All I have to do now is buy the paint and have the color caps painted to match.

I keyed and installed the lock cylinders using the great instructions / pics in this thread
Saddle bag lock tumbler install instructions / video?

To recap, this is a straight bolt on affair using OEM parts. Yes, it costs a little more going this way, but it's all OEM Kawasaki parts and I'm glad to finally have it completed. :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nice work! To my untrained eye, the subframes don't look all that different. Show's what I know. Too bad Kawi didn't come up w/a conversion kit of their own. I bought the Kappa bags and removable Givi mounts but haven't yet had the time to hang them. I know they won't fit as sleekly as the Kawi bags from the '14 but being a cheap bastage, I 'm going to stick w/them anyway.

Good luck w/yours.
Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts

To recap, this is a straight bolt on affair using OEM parts. Yes, it costs a little more going this way, but it's all OEM Kawasaki parts and I'm glad to finally have it completed. :D

dude, you are dangerously inspirational. I bought my 2013 because I saw your post, and see that it can be done, and done well. I'm eventually going to try your method, I hope mine will look as good as yours.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You are one crafty dude! Do you have plans on figuring out a way to put the top box too?

I was wondering if the grab bars from the 2015 versys 1000 would fit the n1k, grab bars from the versys 1000 has a screwed in top box plate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts