Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2021 Ninja 1000SX. Rather than scroll through all the windscreen posts, I'm wondering if those who have changed screens on their SX could tell me (a) why did you change it...was the OEM screen noisy, ineffective...?? and (b) if you changed it, what did you replace it with, and how is it working for you?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Most if us changed screens looking for more wind protection. Sometimes the new screens were more quiet, but I think added wind protection was the main goal.

People also like the look of a smoked, dark screen. That's another reason. The dark screen looks cool.

Different screens change the character/feel of this bike. It sounds silly, but it really does. The 2020 only uses 4 bolts. I doubt a person would need 5 minutes to change one. With this in mind, theres no reason not to have several. Small for the summer. Large for cold/touring. I have a decent assortment, but my puig screen is installed most of the time. For me, it had the best balanced performance as compared to the rest.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX
28 Posts
i don't feel much of any protection from the stock screen in any orientation. i'm a taller rider though so that may have something to do with it. my fireblade has a double bubble and it felt like a lot of wind protection comparatively.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks...is that the Puig "racing screen"? What's the size compared to stock?
This one?
This is the one I have. A little better protection from stock and it looks cool.
I think you have to order the 2019 one as they don't have the new ones listed yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used the Puig screen in dark smoke. I think its considerably better than stock. I found either of the two most upright positions keep nearly all the wind off my chest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the Puig screen in dark smoke. I think its considerably better than stock. I found either of the two most upright positions keep nearly all the wind off my chest.
How about noise in your helmet? Any irritating, buffeting noise?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the Puig and no buffeting. There is a fair amount of wind noise still. I know the VStream limits a significant amount of wind but I did not like the look of that. Many folks on the forum have both the VStream and Puig to go back and forth between the two.

Reactions: kenors

·
Registered
32 Posts
For me, the wind noise seems to change with my helmet. With my HJC, it's pretty quiet at freeway speeds. With my Bell Qualifier DLX, it's noisy driving down the driveway.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I have the Puig and no buffeting. There is a fair amount of wind noise still. I know the VStream limits a significant amount of wind but I did not like the look of that. Many folks on the forum have both the VStream and Puig to go back and forth between the two.
I would be one. VStream in the winter, Puig for the heat. 2 minutes to swap windshields with a power screwdriver. And, BTW, ye olde 6 bolt pattern screens fit the newer 4 bolt mounts just fine. I put a couple bolts in the extra holes for aesthetics.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Heres my favorite screen at 106 degrees. The hotbodies Venom. It's more narrow than the Puig, but it still offers some protection. Its quiet, and cheap. Basically, it's a pos, but when it's hot, it's almost like riding a naked bike. It's so small, it makes the bike feel smaller.
P

·
Registered
77 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for too. Do you want something that adds a little more protection and looks cool?

Or do you want the maximum protection possible, and are willing to put a sail on the front to get it?

If you want to sit in a pocket of calm air and have even some protection from rain, nothing else out there will even be close to the Madstad (MadStad Motorcycle Windshields) windscreen kit. I am sure it's one of the more expensive ones, but for comfort its worth it. I could wear a hat and ride this at 90 MPH. It is fully adjustable for both tilt and height, and even distance from the fairing.

The top picture is the newer one I just got, the Sport Wide at 24" tall. The Wide will likely not work with stock bars (as you would hit at full turn), so stick with the normal one.

This is the 20" Sport (the default style they send for a Ninja 1000). I got good protection from that one as well, but I needed to have it at max height and the wind just cleared the top of my head. I wanted more, since I often ride in very cold weather.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like my 6" taller Vstream but I still have to duck too much to get in the quiet area. I'm not tall either and I'd prefer to have the bars more forward. It also prevents being stable above 120

·
Registered
946 Posts
I swap between the Sport Touring Vstream and the Touring Vstream (aka Pope's hat). Realistically, I probably could ride the ST Vstream all year round. To me, the main advantage with the taller Vstream is that it is a bit quieter above 70mph. I get spoiled by the K16GT. Every time I swap back on the N1k, I wish it isn't so frickin' loud at fwy speed.

Reactions: CBR & Ninja
1 - 16 of 16 Posts