Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Windscreen Experiences 17+

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  N1K1LE 
#1 ·
I've had my N1K for a few months now and just recently took it out for some Texas highway blasts. I'm 5'11" and have more of my height in my torso (30" inseam) and I'm getting absolutely blasted in the face at anything over 60mph. I tried all 3 settings for the stock windscreen and it performs substantially worse than my 2018 Ninja 650 windscreen. It very much reminds me of riding my FZ07 with the MRA windscreen (not good). Can anyone share their personal experiences with windscreens on the 17+ models who are close to my height?

I wear a Shoei RF1100 for reference.

#2 ·
I am 5'8", 31" in seam. I too could not use the windscreen at the bottom setting. Works fine for me in the top most setting but gets pulled a bit by cross winds. So mostly use in mid setting with a little crouch. The crouch leads to an awkward hand position and hence the search now for clip-ons that work well. I think @Volfy has solved the clip on problem.

Reactions: driftguy
#3 ·
I have 2 windscreens for my '18 Ninja. For winter rain and cold I use a National Touring screen. Yeah, the big tall one but comfortable half the year up here. The taller still air pocket is too warm for summer riding. For summer I have a Puig screen. It raises the windblast up to helmet level but at least it's clean air. I always run them in the top position except when occasionally checking out the Ninja's top speed.
The stock screen is worthless (IMHO) and doesn't even keep bugs or rain off my tank bag.

#4 ·
The 17+ windscreen is slightly more compromise than the early windscreens. In 17, Kawasaki increased the height of the screen just a tad right in the middle area. This provides slightly more wind protection in the lowest setting, and is the quietest for me at 5'8". It puts my upper torso and helmet in the cleanest air available, so it reduces wind noise. But at anything above 85-90 mph, depending on the prevailing winds that day, the lowest position puts a lot of wind pressure on my neck. It feels like I'm riding a naked bike at that point, and have to tuck down a bit to alleviate the lift at helmet level. At the highest setting, the 17+ screen provides great wind protection, but it is noisy as hell at this setting. That leaves the middle screen setting as the best compromise between wind protection and noise. I still always prefer the lowest setting on my 2018 N1k. I only use the middle on the highway. Always never use the highest setting unless it's raining.

I have a '12 with a stock screen and the older screen is much quieter than the 17+ screens on both the lowest and middle setting.

#5 ·
I've had my N1K for a few months now and just recently took it out for some Texas highway blasts. I'm 5'11" and have more of my height in my torso (30" inseam) and I'm getting absolutely blasted in the face at anything over 60mph. I tried all 3 settings for the stock windscreen and it performs substantially worse than my 2018 Ninja 650 windscreen. It very much reminds me of riding my FZ07 with the MRA windscreen (not good). Can anyone share their personal experiences with windscreens on the 17+ models who are close to my height?

I wear a Shoei RF1100 for reference.
I have a 2017 N1K, and same measurements as you. I put the Puig Racing screen on mine and like it much better. It looks better (dark tint) and IMO gives better wind protection. I usually leave it on the lowest setting. I wear a Simpson Mod Bandit lid. Some time ago I posted about it on here, so check that for my full description of characteristics.

Reactions: driftguy
#8 ·
N1kLE, I had a Simpson helmet that saved my life. I've always loved that brand. You brought up a great point , though. My helmet choice definitely changes how I feel about the screen as related to noise.

I have my hotbodies Venom on, now. It's my summer screen. Its almost identical to the oem 2020 screen. I use the Puig, mostly. It's an excellent screen and still looks good.

Reactions: N1K1LE
#9 · (Edited)
I bought the Simpson because it is both DOT and ECE certified, it looks badass, and it‘s convenient as can be since it’s modular. Still love it. The only issue I’ve had so far with the Puig screen is it scratched one day when I was cleaning it. My own fault I’m sure. Probably had something on the microfiber cloth. Still, it’s only noticeable on very close inspection. I’m kinda anal about my bike. It’s a 2017 and looks new.

Reactions: D3ros
#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.