Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a point of interest for our mates on the other side of the broad, deep Pacific Ocean, 1 metric litre = 1 US quart.
Actually, now that I think of it: 1 litre of liquid occupies 1,000cc of volume (at sea level?).
So the N1K could also be known as the Nquart..:unsure:
Nah, don't think it's as good as

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
A long time ago I called those two Brothers who had the car radio show..*** and Crack..somethi g like that.. I told them I only liked real oil. The good stuf, from the ground.

I said it was better because, sure, you had to change it more often, but it was easier to get rid of the old oil. Since it came from the ground, all you had to do was dump it back on the ground.....it would then go back where it came from to be used again. None of the man made crap, like teflon, that was impossible to dispose of.

They went silent and would have killed me if I was within their reach., and a good ten minutes of explaining proper oil disposal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't they do more than just change oil+filter at the dealership for the 600 mile break-in service?
I thought they check Fork tightness, brake calipers, etc. ?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Please, I'm lucky the tested the chain tension. It's very common around here for it to be a slightly glorified oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kawasaki only offers 1yr warranty by default. Chances of you using that warranty are SLIM to NONE. Unless you get extended warranty, and even than I think doing your own oil change is fine, as someone already mentioned, save your receipts to show and when you did the change.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Arthur, the list of items they are SUPPOSED to check is in the manual. Most of the things you are supposed to check are items a rider needs to look at, anyway. Things like clutch adjustment, throttle cable adjustment, and many of the other checks dont require tools. The exact procedure for setting these is in the manual as well.

Honestly, any mechanic would "check" these items as they ride your bike into the shop. Your brake calipers were tight when they left the factory. They wont be loose now. Odds are it's like Rock said. You'll get an expensive oil change.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What i usually do is support my local dealer and build a positive relationship with them. I will buy oil and filters from them so there will be a history of when and what i purchased in case something requires a warranty claim.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts