Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 2021 bike arrives in a week or so.
Does anyone know officially (for Australia) Will doing my own first 1000km service give Kawasaki a chance to claim it voids warranty? (Never has a New bike before)
I know what they will say, if I ask them this when picking up the bike. So, would like to know where I stand officially or what the warranty card/manual says if anyone can confirm.
I have my oil & filter already sitting in the garage 馃槃

Registered
In the USA, service doesnt have to be completed by the dealer. I'm sure Australia is similar? Save your receipts. The odds of you having a engine claim are really low.

The only thing I would do is to use a kawasaki branded oil filter. At one time I worked for a golf course and the mechanic, and I used a Fram oil filter. The filter came apart and plugged up the oil passages. This was on a very expensive tractor. John Deer brand, as I recall. When we claimed warranty, John Deer told us to go screw and sent us to the Fram oil filter distributor. They covered everything, parts and labor 100%. That was great, but it would have been nice to keep it all within the manufacturer's control. That fact, and it would never have happened with a decent oil filter.

Dont do silly things. Use a motorcycle specific oil, in the correct weight. Dont overfill. Use common sense and you'll be ok.

Registered
Sweaty, you'll have a greater chance at getting pregnant than you will needing your warranty in the first couple of years of owning the Ninja.
But like RC says anyone should be able to do first service.

Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
The answer is a definite . . . . Maybe.

Here is a screen shot off the Kawasaki Australia website. You should be OK doing it yourself, but if there is a warranty problem, be prepared for a battle.

If you don't want to use an authorized Kawasaki Dealer, then maybe consider using a licensed MTA motorcycle workshop/business and get your Service book stamped by them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers boy鈥檚 馃憤
RC. Yes, I鈥檓 using a Jaso Penrite FS oil & genuine filter to cover myself.
Rock. At 53 years old, I better not fall pregnant, but if I do, I have the KQR panniers on it 馃槃
Murph. Much appreciated for putting the pic up. Should be safe the way I read it.

Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
Penrite's 10W40 Full Synthetic is a good choice for the first oil change at 1000 kms. At the next oil change (4,000~5,000 km) you may like to consider going with Penrite's 10W40 (100% PAO & Ester).

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I did think about it Murph, but have used this on my previous bike & with
6 litres for $52 v 4 litres for $70-$80 & planning to change every 5k. Decided to start & stay with it. (That could change in time though 馃槃)

Registered
6 litres for $52 v 4 litres for $70-$80 & planning to change every 5k. Decided to start & stay with it. (That could change in time though 馃槃)
View attachment 29832
Interesting to see at the bottom of your pic that it shows logos for Car, SUV and Motorcycle.

I've always thought (old school??) that engine oils for cars were not suitable for motorcycles because bike gear boxes shared the engine oil, so a super slippery car oil (because of additives, etc) would make the clutch slip/inoperable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting to see at the bottom of your pic that it shows logos for Car, SUV and Motorcycle.

I've always thought (old school??) that engine oils for cars were not suitable for motorcycles because bike gear boxes shared the engine oil, so a super slippery car oil (because of additives, etc) would make the clutch slip/inoperable.
Don鈥檛 want this to turn into another oil thread, so just look for the JASO MA or MA2 rating & you are all good.

Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
Your bike, your money, your choice but if it was me, I would not use the Vantage range in my bike.

It is not a bad oil, and even though it it is JASO MA rated, it is more car orientated than motorcycle orientated.

If it was me (and I do use Penrite oils), I'd suggest you use the MC-4ST Full Synthetic instead on the Vantage range.

You just spent $20,000 on a new bike and you are trying to save $30 on oil . . . .

Registered

That is interesting , isn't it? I suppose some of our Rotella oils are similar, but they dont go as far as having a motorcycle on the bottle, do they?

In many ways, motorcycle oils were an invented product, so having it be good for everything is possible.

Our automobile oils, in the USA evolved away from the motorcycle standard due to emissions. In the 80's, you went to the store and bought oil for your motorcycle, end of story. This might be formulated like those were. Notice how the bottle doesnt say, "energy conserving" like most of our US oils do.

I'm sure it's fine to use, but Murph makes a great point, too. It's hard to give oil advise when no one ever has problems no matter what oil they use.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Your bike, your money, your choice but if it was me, I would not use the Vantage range in my bike.

It is not a bad oil, and even though it it is JASO MA rated, it is more car orientated than motorcycle orientated.

If it was me (and I do use Penrite oils), I'd suggest you use the MC-4ST Full Synthetic instead on the Vantage range.

You just spent $20,000 on a new bike and you are trying to save $30 on oil . . . .
Looks like it has turned into another oil thread 馃槱馃槃
How is it more car orientated than motorcycle ?
They could stick a picture of a car on the MC-4ST if they wanted to, but they don鈥檛 because they market that at bikes so people will think they are getting something specific for bikes and pay double the money for the same thing.
I had done extensive research on comparing these oils/data/spec sheets before I started using this on my last bike for 40,000kms.
So, it鈥檚 not about saving $30.
Here are the data sheets for both the MC-4ST FS & the Vantage FS.
I鈥檓 definitely not some oil guru, but happy to find out why you would pay double for 1 over the other (if there are any guru鈥檚 out there) when they are both FS JASO rated oils.

Registered
Google your AU laws. As stated in posts above, in the U.S. they cannot deny a claim for service not being done by the dealer. I like to buy my filter from the dealer which time stamps when I was about to do the service. I might pay a couple dollars more using the dealer, but I go out of my way to get to know my dealers, and this is just one more opportunity.

Most of the time I also take pictures of all the supplies (oil, filter, crush washer) on the floor next to the bike, and a picture of the odometer reading. I buy my oil from Amazon usually - but like I said, I have a picture of the bottles of oil sitting next to the bike to verify the oil meets standards. I'm not going to get into telling you what oil to use :0

Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
Looks like it has turned into another oil thread 馃槱馃槃
How is it more car orientated than motorcycle ?
There are a couple of reasons :--
  • Vantage is only available from Repco, the largest automobile parts supplier in Oz.
  • The specifications are predominately automotive (ACEA A3/B4, API SN/CF, BMW LL-01, BMW Longlife-01, MB 229.3, MB 229.5, VW 501 01, VW 502 00)
  • Lastly, have a look at the Zn & Ph levels. They are designed to meet automotive standards.
As I said, it is not a bad oil, but IMHO there are better choices within the Penrite range.

I will agree with you that this has turned into another dreaded "oil debate", so lets just go our separate ways.

Registered
It's funny how the marketing of oil works. I went to 2 Wal Mart stores, today, to buy my oil. The first store had motorcycle oil, but it had a picture of a 4 wheeler on it. I was repulsed by that idea, so I went to store 2 because they had the Synthetic, at 7.37 per quart, AND it had a picture of a sportbike on it. Not a pos atv.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
It's funny how the marketing of oil works. I went to 2 Wal Mart stores, today, to buy my oil. The first store had motorcycle oil, but it had a picture of a 4 wheeler on it. I was repulsed by that idea, so I went to store 2 because they had the Synthetic, at 7.37 per quart, AND it had a picture of a sportbike on it. Not a pos atv.
Yep, it鈥檚 just one big marketing ploy to get people to pay a lot more money.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Murph,
Penrite do great oils, which is why I use them, but they are the masters of rebranding or making minor changes to justify something as motorcycle specific & charge over twice the price, which is what I鈥檓 trying to point out.
Here is a picture of my 2 identical oils (not similar, it鈥檚 the exact same oil in both you want to check the data sheets) if you buy it from Repco, it鈥檚 marked Vantage, anywhere else, it鈥檚 just Full Synthetic.

Registered
That's without mentioning their "V Twin " oil....... They had a 20/50 w Petrolium based oil. The atv 10/40 and their motorcycle 10/40 were priced the same and I think that was 6.88 per qt.

I thought about it, and the 2.00 I could have saved, but it had a Triumph Boneville on the sticker. The GOOD stuff, like I bought, was synthetic and had a picture of a Blue Triumps 675 on it and was 7.37. That felt better.

I've always liked the Mobil 1 racing 4t. In this case, it had some drawbacks. It was 9.88, per quart and it didnt have a picture of anything motorcycle, or atv related.

I dont need an oil analysis. I had facts. Fact...Triumph either payed or allowed Valvoline to print a label with their motorcycle on it. Triumph isnt exactly known for reliability, so the last thing they need is to be associated with bad oil. For this reason, this oil has to be amazing.

This rule is also good for buying milk, butter or cheese. With these products, you need to be looking for a picture of a Cow. The more real the cow looks, the better. You dont ever buy these products if you see a picture of a sheep, pig, horse or goat.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts