Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed since getting the ninja 1000 ive seen a lot of negativity towards litre bike owners like we are out to kill our selves or are wannabes or something else, from the different comments, thing is i got my litre bike because the insurance company gave me a better deal than for a darn cbr 650 f, i dont ride no different, well i think i want. i havent got to ride it yet but most of my riding is touring 2 up and my wife dont like speed lol. So i went from a 500 to a 1000 so what it was economics better price on the litre bike and better insurance price, so blame the insurance companies for not knowing what there doing

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a lot of "push back" from family and friends. Maybe its because I'm 60 yrs old now and they don't understand what motivated me to want such a bike. Outside looking in you can't understand it...inside looking out your can't explain it. That's ok...I don't have to explain anything. I just wanna have fun.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I honestly think liter bikes get a bad rep because of new riders thinking they "need" one because they have outgrown their "smaller" bike after a year of riding whereas most of them just barely scratched the surface of the performance of their machine.

I don't think that issue applies so much to the N1k since it is pretty modest power wise for a liter bike. The engine is tuned for low end grunt and street ridability, very different from a super sport. Most super sport liter bikes are close to 200hp these days, which is really overkill. I think the sweet spot for a super sport street bike is the middleweight class in the 120-140hp range.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hmm around here people seem to snicker more at non liter bikes but there is such a diverse crowd between harleys, sports, touring and supermoto. From my experience its those that don't that shake their heads at those that do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got a lot of "push back" from family and friends. Maybe its because I'm 60 yrs old now and they don't understand what motivated me to want such a bike. Outside looking in you can't understand it...inside looking out your can't explain it. That's ok...I don't have to explain anything. I just wanna have fun.
Well said! Ditto.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"The engine is tuned for low end grunt"
I would have to argue with you on that one. I found the torque to be very lacking with my N1K, but I own a V-twin, parallel twin, and an opposed twin, and all three make better torque, and have MORE low end grunt than the N1K. Embarrassing when a Hardley can take you off the line the first 30 feet.

That being said, at 61 yrs old, nobody has said anything to me about why I own so many big cc bikes. (the ninja was a downsizing for me)
I have pretty much one of every style of bike, a cruiser, a supersport, an adventure bike, a supermoto, touring, and finally a great sport touring bike. All of which are at least 1200cc or more.
Oh, I also have a 650cc dirt bike, i guess that's a mini bike, lol.
I love everything about riding, especially hanging it out in the curves. I push all my bikes hard, and expect them to handle whatever I do. If a bike doesn't keep me happy, it's gone.

What you ride is your choice, regardless of it's size, style, or what anyone else may think.
If a 500 feels good to you, and puts a grin on your face, than that's the bike for you.
If a 1000 puts a bigger grin on your face, heck, go and get one.
You are saving money with your choice of a liter bike, and hopefully it pushes the right buttons and makes you smile every time you ride it. If that is the case, don't worry, be happy.

Ride more, ride to lean...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
"The engine is tuned for low end grunt"
I would have to argue with you on that one. I found the torque to be very lacking with my N1K, but I own a V-twin, parallel twin, and an opposed twin, and all three make better torque, and have MORE low end grunt than the N1K. Embarrassing when a Hardley can take you off the line the first 30 feet.
My comment is mainly in comparison with super sport bikes where most of the power resides in the high rpm range. In that regard, I'd say the N1K is very torquey but it doesn't really want to rev as much as a super sport; I'm hoping Ivan's flash improves that :). I wish they kept it like the ZX-10 instead of detuning for sport touring.

On a side note, who cares about 0-30 anyway :). An electric Fiat 500 is supposedly quicker to 30 than my 911 turbo but it is obviously game over after that LOL

·
Registered
154 Posts
I only have a bias against liter supersport bikes when I see people get them that can't ride a small bike. There is sooo much to be learned from riding a small machine to it's limits. You simply can't approach those limits safely on a supersport liter bike.

But then my first bike was a Honda Ascot vt500.

As was said these machines of ours, the N1k, hardly qualifies as a "real" liter bike as some punk kid said onetime. Hahaha

Reactions: luciano136

·
Registered
675 Posts
Embarrassing when a Hardley can take you off the line the first 30 feet.

[/I]
Not embarrassing at all.

The typical Harley has about 70% more engine displacement than a liter bike, and makes more torque at lower rpm. That, combined with a longer wheelbase which means more power can be applied early without the front end lifting, means the Harley should come off the line quicker.

But that advantage will only last a couple of seconds......after that it is a very different story.

Here is a rider on a 600.....his first time on the drag strip. Even on a 600 it plays out the same, in spite of the botched launch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PE07zulKM0

Reactions: GaryK

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
Our Buell guy cracks me up. How did he figure Kawasaki could, or would turn 1043cc's of inline 4 into 1200cc low reving twin?

Its too bad he and the other five who liked the buell brand did not support the company enough to be anything but a punchline.

its funny, because Kawasaki makes cruiser engines that outperform the Harley, and he would have been way more happy on one of those and been able to set those 30ft speed records in doing so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts