Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my seats off and noticed that big bulky pouch of tools under the rear seat and was wandering if the majority of owners remove them, looks like they about get in the way of mounting the rear seat

·
Registered
367 Posts
I keep them always in.
Although I added a few tools for suspension tweaks. (aftermarket suspension).

No problems getting the rear seat back on.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I've never needed them on the road... been tempted to remove them but as soon as I do I'll need them... Murphy's law.

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Registered
370 Posts
I took my seats off and noticed that big bulky pouch of tools under the rear seat and was wandering if the majority of owners remove them, looks like they about get in the way of mounting the rear seat
I took that tool kit out from under the seat and put it in one of the KQR panniers where I can get at it easier, along with a few other important tools. Normally I have a tail bag in place, so it's hard to get the rear seat on and off. On longer trips, I tie on a waterproof bag of personal gear using the grab rails.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was able to upgrade my tool kit with a small folding ratchet, socket drive hex in all usual sizes, and sockets for just about everything on the bike. Then I was able to move it to the empty space between the rear seat and the battery compartment. I did the mod that removes the round head screws that mount the front seat and used socket heads as posts instead, so now the front is seat removal is tool free.

I found a cool small Cordura pouch that fits where the original toolkit was. I've added quite a few aux tools, tire repair stuff with CO2 Filler, emergency cash, a small leatherman multi tool, removable blade screwdrivers, and a lot more. It has a couple of small outside pouches that I've made good use of.

I was also able to store 10! CO2 bottles in a padded bag on top of and beside my factory battery, and still have room for a rolled up microfiber towel to pour tools out onto.

I'm impressed with how much I've gotten under the seats with creative placement. I've never owned a bike with more room.

Mine is a 2015 with Kawi Gel seat, I know your mileage may very.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must omitt ive never had mine out, i figured the only thing that might be useful in there is suspension adjusting tool, guess ill pull it out and see whats in there lol.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I removed mine. I never had a need for a tool kit on my rides.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
I have a floating tool kit with stuff I've gathered over the years. It goes for anything thats of any distance.

One item you need, but never thought of is a tool to hold the front axle. Make your own from a bolt and nut, if needed. Why?

If you are on the road, and get a flat. Almost any sort of business will help you. I had a copy machine guy who helped me...We were ready....

However, that front axle is a nightmare, and few will be ready for it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was able to upgrade my tool kit with a small folding ratchet, socket drive hex in all usual sizes, and sockets for just about everything on the bike. Then I was able to move it to the empty space between the rear seat and the battery compartment. I did the mod that removes the round head screws that mount the front seat and used socket heads as posts instead, so now the front is seat removal is tool free.

I found a cool small Cordura pouch that fits where the original toolkit was. I've added quite a few aux tools, tire repair stuff with CO2 Filler, emergency cash, a small leatherman multi tool, removable blade screwdrivers, and a lot more. It has a couple of small outside pouches that I've made good use of.

I was also able to store 10! CO2 bottles in a padded bag on top of and beside my factory battery, and still have room for a rolled up microfiber towel to pour tools out onto.

I'm impressed with how much I've gotten under the seats with creative placement. I've never owned a bike with more room.

Mine is a 2015 with Kawi Gel seat, I know your mileage may very.
Now that I can post pictures...

Starting at the back of the bike where the original tool kit was is my 'Outdoor Products' little cordura bag. I can't remember where I found it but I love it. I've got so many little necessities in there. A couple things I forgot I had in there was a couple of backup USB cables, Benedryl in case I get a bee sting, Bic Lighter, small flashlight and more.

The two small black cables by the seat latch are the helmet locks on the 4th gen.

In the middle section (where the ECU is) is the original, but much upgraded tool kit wrapped in a micro fiber towel, and there is still room for a second micro fiber.

The front 'battery' section has a padded bag with the 10 CO2 canisters squeezed in just right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts