Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Scenic Loop Road is true to it's name. It is a beautiful, peaceful cruise covered completely by trees for several miles. This shot was right before the trees start to meet in the middle. It's northwest of San Antonio and runs just south from the town of Boerne to the town of Helotes.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
64 Posts
Scenic Loop Road is true to it's name. It is a beautiful, peaceful cruise covered completely by trees for several miles. This shot was right before the trees start to meet in the middle. It's northwest of San Antonio and runs just south from the town of Boerne to the town of Helotes.
I've never ridden that road in all the times I've been to the Hill Country--I'll have to make a detour next time. We usually stay in Kerrville and go more north through Comfort and on to San Marcos on the back roads on the way to Houston.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just over a week ago I rode in to Road America to watch the Motoamerica super bike races with a buddy. Loaded up the top box on my BMW adv with as many drinks as I could carry and strapped a couple folding chairs to the bike. It makes for a good ride because part of it goes through the twisties of the Kettle Moraine forest in Wisconsin.

Superbikes races were great, Road America is huge enough to social distance even with 50,000 people there, but the highlight? Watching 7-14 yr old kids race Ohvale bikes in the Mini Cup. I made a video.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
@Drift Doest that go through Gray Wolf Forest? If so that is a nice road and I've riden it twice. Doubt I fully enjoyed the scenery though because both times it was the last leg back to the hotel over by Six Flags.

Reactions: driftguy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, that is indeed the road. Right now is fawn season, you definitely want to take it easy since the babies will be hopping across the road and running alongside, especially within the town area. It's just north of where I live and is a quick break for me from work-from-home life.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Yes, It's just north of where I live and is a quick break for me from work-from-home life.
You know the rest of us lone star state-ers are envious right. 😉

·
Registered
62 Posts

You can definitely put the Hill Country in the "Top 5 Reasons I Won't be Moving Again", I love it out here. Past photo on my beloved 650 and my same buddy on his R1.

·
Registered
238 Posts
LOL - look at the Buc-ee's sticker.

Love it!

Reactions: driftguy

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got back from an 11-day, 2,500+ mile trip to Yellowstone National Park with my brother. My first trip on my N1K. I went up US89 hwy the entire way (except through Salt Lake City). That was a beautiful ride, which I highly recommend if you haven't done it. We rode up separately, and met in Alpine Wyoming.

The first day riding from Alpine through the park to West Yellowstone MT where we had a condo rented was 6 1/2 hours of 45 degree temps, pouring rain, construction zones and idiots in cars stopping suddenly for no apparent reason. Ugh. That night my bags had so much grit in the latches I couldn't get them off the bike. It was rainy, windy and cold the entire 4 days we were there. We wimped out and rented a car so we could go see everything in relative comfort. I'm sure there is some motorcyclist "walk of shame" due here, but we didn't care!

Yellowstone is amazing, if you haven't been there, it is definitely "bucket list" worthy!

The weather cleared the day we were leaving (of course) we rode back through the park on our way out, there was still snow all over the ground on the continental divide. We stuck to the twisty little state roads all the way back through Utah. If you haven't toured rural Utah, it is gorgeous, with a lot of terrain changes and spectacular scenery. Scenic Byway 12 between US89 and Torrey Utah is one of my favorite roads.

20200626_141956.jpg 20200626_124223.jpg 20200701_110125.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Driftguy, You should take some time to set up your suspension. Some people are really sensitive to this. If it's not set up, for you, it's almost like riding someone else's bike. There are hundreds of online guides of how to do this. Even if you have to pay someone to help, it's cheaper than trading the bike.

From the picture, your clutch lever would be too high, for me. That would drive me crazy. The bar angle feels wrong when the levers are too high. I have an angle finder , on my phone. Both clutch, and brake lever are at 60
degrees if you wanted to try my setting. It would be like driving a car, but not being able to adjust the seat. That's all small stuff, but if 2 or 3 things are wrong (for you), now it's a big thing and you dont feel comfortable.
. . . just to briefly hijack this thread again - @driftguy, I had a similar feeling of unhappiness with my N1K shortly after purchase. Then I put on a different windscreen, adjusted the clutch lever position, switched the seat for an OEM gel, lowered the ride height, and adjusted the rear shock pre-load and damping. Made a HUGE difference in my happiness with the bike. I still need to tinker a bit with the front damping.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
333 Posts
The roads were mostly bad to and fro but the last bit up the hill and back was wonderful. Some good company and wonderful weather. A Sunday well spent after not riding for so long.

Reactions: Avintage69

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
2500 miles to Colorado and back. Wachita Mts in OK, Cadillac ranch Tx. In CO it was Loveland pass, Estes Park, Blackhawk, Flagstaff Rd, Boulder canyon, Goldengate canyon and Eisenhower tunnel.
HWYS 6, 119, 7, 72, 36, 40, 103 and and so many more.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
you realize I'm fighting the urge to ask if that was the little chapel you and Steve got married at don't you? 😀
All kidding aside, it looks like it was a really great time.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
333 Posts
Didn't realise someone got a pic of us, another one from yesterday's ride -

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
79 Posts
Just moved back to my old college town for work and there isn't **** for good day trips/loops, I'm almost contemplating selling the bike because of it. My options are take Hwy 1 to Monterey and back (because **** the 101 from Monterey back home), take 101/1 down to Santa Barbara/Ojai (oooohh, beach traffic mixed with LA weekender traffic, yay my FAVORITE!), or take a bunch of one lane winery roads in the hills with drunk 50y olds driving convertibles (cuz it's not drunk driving if its wine apparently!). But there's just so. many. people. I suppose I could get into doing more full weekend/long weekend type rides to the Sierras or norCal, but that stuff wears me out when its sandwiched between full work weeks.

I miss my old motorcycle community in Oregon. Five different highways to get to the Oregon coast within 2 hours, lots of chill farm roads with minimal traffic, scenic mountain roads; jesus it was perfect there. A very active community with 5-10 rides a weekend to choose from. I joined four different bike groups locally since I've moved and it's just shitposting and bikes for sale. No rides that I've seen in months, even before COVID.

Alright, pity-party rant where i didn't talk about a recent ride over.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well, there is not much to look at in Central Texas especially during summer and a heat wave. But I rode 300 miles yesterday and it beat the hell out of watching tv and surfing the net, too much of both during the damn quarantine. And the brewery is still shutdown to the public, if masks work open everything.

·
Registered
837 Posts
...<snip>...
Alright, pity-party rant where i didn't talk about a recent ride over.
If you can't find good roads to ride in the Bay Area you need to seriously update your map programs and join a group down there. I love western Oregon and have probably done all the roads you have but in summer, especially weekends they're packed with cars and every coastal road will be packed as well. Then again, this time of year I'm glad to be living up here but November-April you'll be in perfect riding weather and I'll be wet. :)

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
79 Posts
If you can't find good roads to ride in the Bay Area you need to seriously update your map programs and join a group down there. I love western Oregon and have probably done all the roads you have but in summer, especially weekends they're packed with cars and every coastal road will be packed as well. Then again, this time of year I'm glad to be living up here but November-April you'll be in perfect riding weather and I'll be wet. :)
I'm equidistant from LA to SF on the 101. Kind of in a bit of a road diversity dead spot here. Bay Area or Angeles NF/Malibu mountains is getting into a full weekend trip territory for me. At least in Oregon I had skiing/snowboarding November - April when the roads are yucky.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts