Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
333 Posts
Nice, we still have restrictions on interstate rides and limited to short day rides only currently.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Took a spirited ride today around
East Texas with a couple of busa's, a very fast Blackbird with a very capable rider on board and my only competition of the day, newer and older GSXR-1000s, GSXR-750, ZX11, 2 R6s, BMW-S10
00XR, GSX-S1000 and a FZ07.

Reactions: agurudev

·
Registered
837 Posts
The rain stopped for a couple of hours today so I headed out and saw how my favorite eagle pair was doing. Still going strong and about to raise their 8th brood (known to me). You'll just have to take my word for the fact I was out on the '18 N1k.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
@kenors
That would be cool to watch for that many years. You should start a thread and keep us posted on them.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Was able to get the wife out with the youngest and myself for 150 miles today. Doesnt happen often but sure is nice to have a bike that can do it with little effort.

·
Registered
62 Posts

3 Sisters today, with my buddy who rode his Indian Scout Bobber. I was surprised by how much more fun my buddy looked like he was having. I'm beginning to think this might not be the right bike for me. We talked about that at our lunch stop. I'm just not getting comfortable and confident on my N1K.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
64 Posts
View attachment 29405

3 Sisters today, with my buddy who rode his Indian Scout Bobber. I was surprised by how much more fun my buddy looked like he was having. I'm beginning to think this might not be the right bike for me. We talked about that at our lunch stop. I'm just not getting comfortable and confident on my N1K.
Why not? I've ridden those roads many times on a variety of bikes and I would think that the N1K would be a blast on them (last time on a H2 SX SE). I haven't taken my 1000SX out there yet because I just got it, but am looking forward to doing that soon (when it gets a little cooler).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why not? I've ridden those roads many times on a variety of bikes and I would think that the N1K would be a blast on them (last time on a H2 SX SE). I haven't taken my 1000SX out there yet because I just got it, but am looking forward to doing that soon (when it gets a little cooler).
I've been up to 3 Sisters many times and this was my first with the N1K. I've been debating internally about whether or not I have been having fun on it. Today I gave it the ultimate test with this trip, which in the past on my previous bikes was always a TOTAL BLAST. But not today. I wish I could say precisely what it was, but I think it's a combination of things. Weight, the position and width of the handlebars. The (in my experience) windscreen buffeting. The width of the seat. The peg distance to the exhaust (I'm used to riding on my toes) and the rider triangle itself. I've always had the most fun on smaller bikes (my ZX6R being the most fun, Ninja 650 second) and I bought the N1K for a lot of reasons that made sense on paper but seem to not work for me in practice. Not sure what I'll do next.

·
Registered
837 Posts
@kenors
That would be cool to watch for that many years. You should start a thread and keep us posted on them.
Here's today's update on the Eagle nest. Momma & Poppa Eagle were off probably fishing to feed this "little" guy. I probably should start a whole new thread but I'm lazy today. This was on the way to the top of Mt. Baker but the top (Artist's Point) was STILL closed. Damn C-19! 240 mile loop ride from my home.

What mom & pop eagle work so hard for:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've been up to 3 Sisters many times and this was my first with the N1K. I've been debating internally about whether or not I have been having fun on it. Today I gave it the ultimate test with this trip, which in the past on my previous bikes was always a TOTAL BLAST. But not today. I wish I could say precisely what it was, but I think it's a combination of things. Weight, the position and width of the handlebars. The (in my experience) windscreen buffeting. The width of the seat. The peg distance to the exhaust (I'm used to riding on my toes) and the rider triangle itself. I've always had the most fun on smaller bikes (my ZX6R being the most fun, Ninja 650 second) and I bought the N1K for a lot of reasons that made sense on paper but seem to not work for me in practice. Not sure what I'll do next.
I'm scratching my head on this. I have a 1199 Panigale which is a great handling bike, and that is an understatement. But I can honestly say that while the N1k handles noticeably differently, it really is about as much fun as the Panigale on public roads. And I ride on my toes on all of my bikes. Maybe you just have to get use to it.

To stay on topic, I was out on some well known back roads SW of Houston early this morning. A guy in a very nice looking 1971 Chevelle SS passed me. He went by me and stayed hard on the gas. I don't know what he had in it, but I was impressed. I am very knowledgeable of that era of cars. But I just didn't see enough to know which engine it had, if even stock.

Then I decided to go by him before I got to some curves that were coming up. I'm not going to say how fast I was going when I passed him, but it was nice to be on the 1199 and he gave me the thumbs up as I went by him.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm scratching my head on this. I have a 1199 Panigale which is a great handling bike, and that is an understatement. But I can honestly say that while the N1k handles noticeably differently, it really is about as much fun as the Panigale on public roads. And I ride on my toes on all of my bikes. Maybe you just have to get use to it.
Agreed, I'm even wondering if I need to give it more time to grow on me. The only other motorcycle I've owned that I didn't thoroughly enjoy was an FZ-07, which according to others is a extremely fun motorcycle.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
64 Posts
Agreed, I'm even wondering if I need to give it more time to grow on me. The only other motorcycle I've owned that I didn't thoroughly enjoy was an FZ-07, which according to others is a extremely fun motorcycle.
I'd give it a little more time. The only thing I'm having to get used to on my 1000SX is the light steering, but I actually like it. I did put some Knight Design lowering pegs on it (1 3/8" drop) because I find the legroom a little cramped, but I knew that the first time I sat on one in the dealer showroom (had the same problem with the H2 SX that I traded for it). It's 65 lbs heavier than my Super Duke R (and 60 lbs lighter than the H2 SX) but it carries its weight fairly low and feels good in the transitions. I'm not real crazy about the OEM seat so far, but that's an easy fix in the aftermarket with something like a Sargent if it starts to bother me (I had to do the same thing on a '11 N1K I once owned and the H2 SX--Kawasaki is not the greatest at designing comfortable seats). Same thing with the windshield if that bothers you--the OEM is pretty dinky, but I understand the larger accessory one helps a lot.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Driftguy, You should take some time to set up your suspension. Some people are really sensitive to this. If it's not set up, for you, it's almost like riding someone else's bike. There are hundreds of online guides of how to do this. Even if you have to pay someone to help, it's cheaper than trading the bike.

From the picture, your clutch lever would be too high, for me. That would drive me crazy. The bar angle feels wrong when the levers are too high. I have an angle finder , on my phone. Both clutch, and brake lever are at 60
degrees if you wanted to try my setting. It would be like driving a car, but not being able to adjust the seat. That's all small stuff, but if 2 or 3 things are wrong (for you), now it's a big thing and you dont feel comfortable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree to give it some time. Having both a 650 and the 1000, they handle very differently. The more I ride the 1000, the more at ease I feel with it, but it is more difficult to handle than the lighter 650. A Sargent seat helped me tremendously, and I was able to sit on it for a three hour ride yesterday. The 650 handles great, but I just can't get over the sewing machine sound, feel, and vibration.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
It's really hard to ride with someone when the bikes abilities dont match up. I wish you guys would have traded bikes and you could have had an hour of "fun" on the bobber. The bobber is the perfect bike to ride around the neighborhood. Out on the road, the poor seat, poor suspension, and goofy riding position is anything but fun.

It's also common that when you show the least bit of weakness, regarding your choice of motorcycles, the person on the other bike will do all they can to get you to come over to their side. I felt that when I did a ride that was Harley Road King vs my concours 14. Ridiculous to compare the two. The 14 will run circles around their machines and is superior in every way. Just as your ninja is to the Indian bobber. The bobber thing is a look, not anything practical, or useful. Just like the chopper thing in the 1990's. Fad isnt really the correct word as these bikes stay around and dont go away. Maybe it's more "popularity" swings? Cafe racer, adv bikes, choppers, bombers, zombie apocalypse bikes all fit in these categories.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I rode that bobber. I thought it sucked. I rode the FTR1200s and thought it was a blast (not at high speeds). Not a chance that bobber could handle anything close to the Ninja. The FTR, handled better than the NInja (from a flickable standpoint) but it's not a cruiser.
Some time those cruiser guys look like they have fun rolling along at a casual pace. When sh*t gets real that content look fades very quickly.
If you like bikes smaller than the Ninja, that clunky bobber would drive you nuts. Or is it ride you nuts in this context? :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great points Rock and Rcannon, I appreciate that feedback. Let's get back on topic, sorry for the diversion. Today went on a quick ride to Scenic Loop Road. My buddy took a photo of me, from his Bobber of course. I will ask him if I can throw a leg over it next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
333 Posts
Thats a beautiful stretch of road...

Reactions: driftguy
101 - 120 of 146 Posts