Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Any recommendations for an air compressor? I do not own onecurrently.
The short answer is: buy the largest you have space for and most expensive one you're willing to spend. Air compressor is one of those things that once you have one, you'll start to come up with more and more uses for it. And the SCFM you might want/need will increase more and more.

I started out with a Sears 1HP 2gal oil-less long time ago. Did a whole lot of stuff with it. Even painted an entire VW GTI. But that was really really pushing it.

When I bought my own home and finally had my own garage, air compressor upgrade was a must. Went with a 3.0HP 20gal Cambell Hausfeld, which I thought would be plenty. Well... for a while yes. Then I started running air tools that were just SCFM hogs, and that poor compressor struggled to keep up and was running continuously at time. Not good for long service life.

Then I happened on a Husky 7.5HP 80gal dual stage that Home Depot was clearancing out. I've been happy since.

That said, unless you have access to 220VAC, or know how to add a circuit, you'll be limited on HP on 110VAC. In that case, go with a largest tank you can find that still runs on 110VAC. That will help reduce the ON duty cycle. Vertical tanks are your best bet for not tying up a lot of garage space.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
I wouldn't buy one for bleeding brakes. If you already have one, fine, but it's not needed to do a good brake bleed. Especially on a motorcycle. They are nice, on a car because rhe lines are long.

It's not at all difficult. The told don't save time or do a better job. You have to clean the toos when you are done, so there goes rhe time savings. Something like this will do it if you HAVE to buy a tool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
120v or 240 (you are in the US, right)? What do you want to use it for?

Something like this is about as good as it gets on 120v.. 25 gal. 200 PSI Oil Lubed Belt Drive Portable Vertical Electric Air Compressor

The features to look for are belt drive, oil lubricated, two stage (although the single stage pumps for 120v applications have gotten much better).. If there is a 1700rpm motor, it will likely be much quieter than the 3400rpm, although again, doubtful you'll find that in 120v

If you have 240v available..buy the biggest tank (aka receiver) you can fit..I've got an 80gal and when I'm using a blast cabinet or soda blaster, i wish i had another 80 (or 120)..

Quincy, speedaire, and champion are all excellent name brands (there are others as well of course).

If you're just going to air up tires and run a vacuum/Venturi bleeder, a 25-30gal, 120v compressor will do just fine. If you want to paint, run a blast cabinet, or have more than one tool running at once..you'll probably want a 2 stage 240v, min 60gal tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I changed front brake lines yesterday (bit of a pain!). A combination of the Motion Pro 08-0143 Hydraulic Brake Bleeder and Harbor Freight's Mityvac clone was the ticket for me. The Motion Pro bleeder was good for draining and bleeding, but I couldn't seem to cajole it into pulling fluid into the calipers when the lines were empty.

So, from empty lines, I used the vacuum to pull fluid to the calipers. Once that was done, bled the left then right calipers with the Motion Pro bleeder, then the master cylinder. Also needed various extra tubing I had lying around, and my wife's assistance bleeding the master cylinder.

When it was all done, there was still quite a bit of sponginess in the lever, but a zip tie on the lever overnight seems to have firmed everything up. I still need to go for a few rides to ensure that the firmness is permanent.

Apparently I'm just really clumsy and sloppy with brake fluid, and the stuff was flinging everywhere. So I had a spray bottle of a few drops of dish washing detergent mixed with water at the ready, and liberally sprayed everything down at each step.

For only flush/bleed, the Motion Pro tool plus extra tubing is sufficient. And really, you don't even need that, only some 3/16" ID tube!

Reactions: rcannon409
21 - 25 of 25 Posts