Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Max L/R Lean angles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this feature's only on the 2020+ models, but I'm super curious nonetheless. On my 2021 with pegs lowered, my boot starts scraping at ~42 and I find it super annoying.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know this feature's only on the 2020+ models, but I'm super curious nonetheless. On my 2021 with pegs lowered, my boot starts scraping at ~42 and I find it super annoying.
I have the same problem; lowered my pegs and my toes scrape at 42-43 indicated lean angle. I've learned to point my toes up when I come to a sharp curve.

I kinda regret lowering the pegs but my legs were so damned cramped.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Can't vote all the options are too high :(

• Haha
Reactions: MicMac

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same problem; lowered my pegs and my toes scrape at 42-43 indicated lean angle. I've learned to point my toes up when I come to a sharp curve.

I kinda regret lowering the pegs but my legs were so damned cramped.
Haha i agree with every single word. I also point my toes up and even lift my foot up off the peg sometimes, but it does put a strain on the ankle/calf muscles and takes a bit of focus off the road. I can't go back to the higher pegs now though, its significantly more comfy 99% of the time. I'm 6 feet tall btw.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was pointed out in another thread IIRC - but one can lean further without scraping on a more banked curve, as the distance from inside peg to the ground will be greater.
Yeah dude but the reverse also applies- one can lean less when the road banks towards you, which happens pretty often actually since roads usually curve downwards slightly away from the center to help rainwater flow off the road.

·
Premium Member
'12 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers), 03 KTM 525 EXC
207 Posts
Gotta love the crown of a road fighting you on turns.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah dude but the reverse also applies- one can lean less when the road banks towards you, which happens pretty often actually since roads usually curve downwards slightly away from the center to help rainwater flow off the road.

Don't think that's "the reverse" - it sounds like the exact same thing.

And while the angle of the tire on the road surface may be less "lean", (same thing in both examples, a banked curve, or a road sloped or "banked" away from the center to allow drainage), pretty sure our bikes use some form of gyroscope to measure absolute lean from a straight up and down - NOT the amount of lean from an already leaning road surface.

This applies on right hand curves, as one is on the "inside" of the crown of the road - the converse would be true in a left hander, as one would be on the side of the road that is sloped down from the center - as one is on the OUTSIDE of the curve (of course - on a properly designed road that has some degree of angulation or bank - this wouldn't apply in practice, as even if there were still a taller center point on the road, the amount of angulation or banking of the curve more than counteracts any slope down from the center of the road - at least thats been my experience.....)

Now if the road was NOT designed or built with any bank for the curve, and there IS a slight slope or gradient from the center of the road, then on left handers one would have to lean much further towards the edge of the tire on LEFT hand curves (the outside of the curve).

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to max lean. The most I've ever seen was about 42 degrees or so on a right turn. But generally I'm in the high 30s for max lean in both directions. I have yet to scrape the pegs, much to my own chagrin.

Reactions: MicMac

·
Registered
2021 1000SX, Akra slip on, KQR side cases, to be continued.....
97 Posts
Oh, thanks guys. Sure I might have been 50 from vertical but I'm pretty sure that it was achieved on one of the slow banked left handers on the Dragon. I was actually a bit surprised to see that much lean when I looked at it after the ride.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Lean angles are so ride style subjective. Years ago when I had my 2014 N1K, my gf had a 2015 N1K. I was always a faster in the twisty sections than her, willing to do stupid ****. She never moved her *** in the sea4, like she was riding on a a cruiser. I often exaggerate my "get-off" on the street to practice for the track. I always had 1/4" chicken strips as I flew past her, while she was rolling balls of the edge of her tires, dragging her boots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 46 degrees on the right and 51 on the left, it was after this ride that I noticed that the hero pegs were missing, snapped off by the PO, the bike had fallen off the stand before I bought it and I assume that broke the left and I suspect the right was snapped off to match. The bike now has new pegs so I get the warning of scraping.
I had the ball of my foot on the peg but still managed to remove boot sole on the road.
Just love the handling of the bike, though the standard tyres will go soon (8500Km) as they have definite faceting on centre and sides, I am planning on Road 6 as they have kept their shape better on previous bike.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You are of course correct. Would be interesting to see 80 as a single option and see how many own up to this legendary lean.
Fortunately I'm not in that N1K club (yet), but am a member in the Honda Interceptor, ZX14, ZX14r, FJR1300 club and a few more I'm trying to forget! Oh, and the V-Strom club. If I keep thinking about it I'll remember more!

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
165 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts