Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to go for a little ride after work when it got up to 50 degrees today, wanted to see how the db killers sounded installed in the urban brawlers, noticed a whirring sound as i was riding , that corasponded to acceleration, mind you it was slow riding just mainly going through the gears at around 35oo rpms, the sound increased with the throttle while moving, but in neutral just reving you dont notice it, im assuming it is intake noise, kind of reminds you of the super charger sound, on a side note the urban brawlers with the db killers are perfect nice sound not to loud and pretty quite cruising at around 60 mph. I guess comming from a twin these 4 cylinder noises are new to me.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Maybe too cold for the gerbils under the tank...

Maybe the alternator. Get a mechanic's stethoscope and poke around a bit. The clutch can make some noise too. Does it change when you pull in the clutch lever?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Maybe too cold for the gerbils under the tank...

Maybe the alternator. Get a mechanic's stethoscope and poke around a bit. The clutch can make some noise too. Does it change when you pull in the clutch lever?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea it changes when your pulling in the clutch cause your letting off the gas, but just sitting in neutral and reving it doesnt make the noise , ive noticed no other sound like intake noise when riding that i can tell, so hoping its just the intake, sounds like its comming from that area, if your running a constant rpm like cruising you dont notice it, actually i dont remember hearing it with the stock exhaust on or the urban brawlers without the inserts in

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got smart and found a couple of you tube clips of the 2012 ninja, both made the same whirring noise at low speed like taking off from a red light and going through the gears, but when they pinned the throttle you couldnt here it. So its probably norml

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sounds comming from the front under the tank

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
This is dumb, but did you put it on the front stand?

If so, you likely removed the cap for the bottom of the steering stem. If you leave this cap off, there is a noise that can happen and it sounds like blowing across the top of a bottle.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No front stand, im sure its the sound of the 4 cylinder engine or intake, its more noticeable when you first take off and are taking it easy in the first 3 gear changes, thats what the bikes i listened to on the sound clips sounded like to, im pretty sure its normal, thats one problem with going from a twin engine to 4 cylinder dont know what to expect lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts