Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making some plans for a long road trip. Not the kind where you stop and enjoy the scenery, the kind where you cover 1000 miles in 2 days. I've got a lot of stuff to bring with me, and the factory panniers can't hold all of it. I'm also not a fan of big tank bags. I know there are ways to attach the factory (or Givi) to case to a bike with the factory panniers, but I don't know if I have the time to embark on this mod before my trip.

How big a duffel have any of you securely fastened to the N1K. This is for machines with fully loaded factory side panniers.

Givi makes a nice 35 liter duffel bag. I am thinking something about this size would hold my stuff nicely.

·
Registered
367 Posts
2x 65liter ... no prob (not fully filled tho).
Go for rok straps, IMO best I tried.

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Ishikawa.

It's in Luray VA about 1.5 hours from my home in Northern VA.

Generally though the whole I-81 corridor is like this through VA. It's great riding all through the Shenandoah Mountains.

Right now I'm another hour down 81 and loving this bike on these roads!

Nice scenery. Is that near your home in Northern Virginia

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Ishikawa.

It's in Luray VA about 1.5 hours from my home in Northern VA.

Generally though the whole I-81 corridor is like this through VA. It's great riding all through the Shenandoah Mountains.
!
I miss VA. I lived in Blacksburg for some time but never had enough money for a motor bike.
I did some road biking though.

Blue Ridge Parkway in Fall is lovely.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi bombim,

Yes, I love the roads around here. But the grass is always greener and I can't wait to go around the entire US exploring as many fine roads as I can. Someday !

·
Registered
370 Posts
How big a duffel have any of you securely fastened to the N1K. This is for machines with fully loaded factory side panniers.
I have had very good experience with the Wolfman Expedition Tail Bag. I prefer the yellow version for visibility. It's a roll-type bag that can hold a lot of cargo and it's completely waterproof. I have personally tested that feature in heavy, extended rain. Everything inside was kept dry.

There are multiple straps to cinch down the bag once closed up and also bottom straps provide secure attachment on the rear of the N1K. I like the medium size bag because it's short enough that, when mounted sideways on the rear seat, I can still access the top of the OEM KQR saddlebags to open them.

Here is a link to look at the Wolfman product line -- http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/expedition-dry-duffel-medium

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had very good experience with the Wolfman Expedition Tail Bag. I prefer the yellow version for visibility. It's a roll-type bag that can hold a lot of cargo and it's completely waterproof. I have personally tested that feature in heavy, extended rain. Everything inside was kept dry.

There are multiple straps to cinch down the bag once closed up and also bottom straps provide secure attachment on the rear of the N1K. I like the medium size bag because it's short enough that, when mounted sideways on the rear seat, I can still access the top of the OEM KQR saddlebags to open them.

Here is a link to look at the Wolfman product line -- Expedition Dry Duffel - Medium - Motorcycle Luggage by Wolfman | Wolfman Luggage
Thanks Omniron,

This looks like it will be perfect. I've been reading the comments on different duffel bags and Wolfman definitely has a reputation of being a well made, and well thought out.

A couple of questions:
  1. Did you use and extra straps, or did it come with adequate straps for tying it down?
  2. It looks like the bag has a stiffener on the bottom, or just a very sturdy bottom. Is that something you did, or do they come like that?
By the way, I like the way it matches your Motoport Suit :D

Thanks again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks Omniron,

This looks like it will be perfect. I've been reading the comments on different duffel bags and Wolfman definitely has a reputation of being a well made, and well thought out.

A couple of questions:
  1. Did you use and extra straps, or did it come with adequate straps for tying it down?
  2. It looks like the bag has a stiffener on the bottom, or just a very sturdy bottom. Is that something you did, or do they come like that?
By the way, I like the way it matches your Motoport Suit :D
Thanks again.
I have used this bag on several trips, a couple in pretty nasty weather. Never a worry about my personal gear in the bag. It is built heavy and durable.

1. I didn't need any extra straps. The straps on the bottom of the bag fit around the grab handles like they were designed for this bike. They cinched up nicely and the bag stayed exactly where I put it on the back seat.

2. The bag comes with a stiffened bottom. That makes it easier to load when packing, and probably helps hold it's shape while traveling.

I like the yellow color -- more visibility. Too bad it's not exactly the same color as the hi-viz stripes on my riding gear. But then again, matchy-matchy may be too much.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Conclusion: Wolfman Medium Duffel

Got the Wolfman medium yellow duffel delivered today.

When I loaded it up and then clipped the bottom straps up over the top, it holds its shape very nicely. It's big enough to hold major bulky stuff like my motocross body armor and mountain bike pads, along with a lot of other stuff. Today I weighed it and got about 14 lbs of stuff in it, not all the way full.

It clips very nicely to the tandem bars too. Looking forward to test riding with it. I'm going to load up the hard side cases and attach the loaded duffel and ride up one of the mountain roads here. Have to get a feel for the way the N1K handles while loaded up. I can hear the warnings now...I know...be careful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts