Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Better tires and seat are at the top of most lists. Perelli Angel GT or Michelin Pilot Power 3 are good. Also get the larger 190/55-17 for the rear. Some people like the Sargent Seats. I had Spencer's reshape and re foam my stock seat. He's doing hero's work for $75. Not sure what your shipping would be from Florida. Probably do better locally.

·
Registered
709 Posts
In my humble opinion...
Ivan's flash for smoother throttle control,
Better windscreen (I recently added the Puig and love it),
Tail Tidy (not just for looks, that rear fender gets in the way of my track stand handle, I got the Yoshimura fender eliminator kit which keeps the stock turn signals)
Rear spools ( limited choices because of our weird cans, I use the Keiti MINI's )
Headlight upgrade ( I've got some BKMoto's, not yet installed )
Seat ( many options, I got the Sargent )
I bought the bike with the intention of adding the factory side cases and the necessary tandem grab bars, so I don't really consider that a mod, although I spent a good couple of hours putting on the tandem grab bars.

Not done yet:
Still haven't replaced stock tires yet, but it sounds like I may be really missing out on some better handling.
Still need to add some accessory power to the triple tree. Have a fused SAE to usb wire set on the way from amazon.

That's what I can think of right now.
I am interested in hearing from anyone who has changed their rear sets. 2 days ago I didn't even know what that meant :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
The only essential things are the ones that replace the things that bother you too much.
And that differs from person to person.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you just wanted a dark windscreen, you could have saved yourself quite a bit of money and just bought a 6$ can of flat black plastidip. I did just that and just sprayed the inside of the windshield with it. It improved the look 200%. I have had several friends tell me that they thought it was factory and that it looks great. Nice cheap improvement. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you just wanted a dark windscreen, you could have saved yourself quite a bit of money and just bought a 6$ can of flat black plastidip. I did just that and just sprayed the inside of the windshield with it. It improved the look 200%. I have had several friends tell me that they thought it was factory and that it looks great. Nice cheap improvement. :)
Respectfully, the improvements of a Puig windscreen (and I imagine the VStream Sport/Tour windscreen) go far beyond aesthetic. The looks of the stock windscreen were okay for me. What bugged me about it was using it on the highway. None of the positions would really provide good protection from wind buffeting. I can speak from experience that the Puig is a dramatic improvement, to the point I rarely change it from the middle position. There is a very noticeable reduction in the turbulence around my shoulders and helmet. Turbulence is moved up above my neck to about the middle of my helmet (while sitting upright). When that happens the noise is greatly reduced. It also looks great in this position.

That's why, IMHO, I consider this mod essential. I guess if I wasn't on the highway very much, it wouldn't matter.

FWIW, I got the light smoke model. I admit the Dark Smoke would have looked even better though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hence the reason I said, if all you wanted was a dark windscreen....... I completely understand if there were a lot of other considerations in buying the new one. I only meant if the color was the issue as it was with me right at the moment. Later on, I will consider changing the stock for something different. However at this point and time I have other priorities for upgrades since money is an issue. :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Aside from what YOU don't like, I can only speak for what I didn't like.

1) Gearing: too short, makes the middle gears basically useless steps to get top gear, pulls too much rpm at 75mph. So I changed the ft sprocket

2) Tires: Hard to put new tires in the trash.. but that's where the oems belong.

3) Lights - the OEM amber colored beer goggles were pathetic

4) Wheel tape (I have 2014) for visibility at night.

5) Ivans + Akropovic Header, not super necessary. But I wanted to run the Akropovic header for weight and aesthetics, and really an inexpensive mod

6) at anytime really: RAM Mount

7) Windshield, If you do a lot of freeway riding and the wind hits you wrong and buffets.

8) Healtech: Not ocd enough to count gears and always trying to shift into 7th, anytime easy mod.

Next for me:

1) Battery replace with a shorai (sp) to save more weight

2 ) Possibly lower pegs because I am taller than the average bear

3) Both seats

4) another Sena for my wife.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Of all the mods I did, and I did quite a few :D

There are 4 I would say are for me necessary to really enjoy the bike.

Suspension front & rear
Sargent seat
190/55 rear tyre.

Ivan's FCE (but replaced with his ECU) --> not for the power but for the fuel cut issue.
I could live without all the benefits of the ECU, it was already a proper bike then.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Might need to upgrade to a lawyer if you twist it like some tickets that been posted lately

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
681 Posts
8) Healtech: Not ocd enough to count gears and always trying to shift into 7th, anytime easy mod.

QUOTE]

Love this little gadget, got the Healtech GIpro DS series plug and play and it is literally that. Works like a charm and goodbye to the endless search for the 7th gear :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

QUOTE]

Love this little gadget, got the Healtech GIpro DS series plug and play and it is literally that. Works like a charm and goodbye to the endless search for the 7th gear :D

$150 canadian to know what gear your in? :) am i being silly questioning this?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hence the reason I said, if all you wanted was a dark windscreen....... I completely understand if there were a lot of other considerations in buying the new one. I only meant if the color was the issue as it was with me right at the moment. Later on, I will consider changing the stock for something different. However at this point and time I have other priorities for upgrades since money is an issue. :D
Got it. When he asks about essential upgrades, first thing that comes to mind is windscreen tint. ;)

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Gary, I think dirt riders and street riders are in a different world with regards to this info. Dirt riders don't care and street riders can't get enough.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i want to do some cool upgrades just the most impactful ones :)

Here is what I have so far (some came with bike)

• Upgraded clutch
  • Puig dark smoke screen (looks great)
  • Engine covers (meh seems ok i doubt i can resell these i'l get them on soon)
  • Gear shower (looking at healtech but seems like a pain to get it in Canada)
  • New tire when my stock tires are worn (Currently they are 3/4 still good)
  • I have a direct cable under the seat to connect to a battery charger. not sure if this is an upgrade or stock lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
The most important upgrades for me were better bars, and a better seat. I loved the bike, but the clip-on's and the seat were horrible in my humble opinion.

After that better tires, the oem tires are made out of melted down plastic army men from years ago. They are terrible.

Better bars, seat, and better tires make this an all day comfy bike that turns well, rides well, and has enough power to be entertaining for sure. With these mods it's a world class bike IMHO.

After that then it's Ivan's reflash and a full system and air filter. Now you have a world class bike that's all day comfy that has enough power to flip it's self over in the fist two gears :) That makes it fun.

After that it's just personal choice. Power outlets, windscreens, tank protectors, farkles....etc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts