Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for the best tire for street, searched and only old threads.
Mine is a 2013 but the brand and model should be similar.
Michelin Pilot Road 5 are very recommended by a friend.

I want to buy them soon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had excellent results with Dunlop Roadsmart 3's over several different motorcycles and am currently running them on 2 of my bikes including the Ninja. These are very good all around tire but not as pure sport as many others. They have fairly stiff sidewalls and the grip is consistent throughout their entire life, which is pretty long.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Either Michelin Pilot Roads or Dunlop Roadsmarts are good choices. I've run both on Ninjas and prefer Roadsmarts but they're very close in performance and a lot better than OEM. Like bmac said, they're great all around street tires. Not the grippiest but very consistent grip. They both work well in the wet if that's a concern. Long mileage is another benefit. The Pilot Road series is up to 5 now and the latest Roadsmart series is at 4.
I'd also vouch for getting a 190/55 profile rear tire. We've had some spirited discussions on this forum you can read but for me the /55 profile was a very nice improvement in Ninjas cornering performance. It makes the bike completely neutral in a corner, no longer pushing on a bar to hold a line.

Reactions: bmac

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
This is one subject where you can have opinions because any name brand tire is good. Beyond good. Unless you buy Shinkos, any of them are more than capible.

What riding conditions do you have? If you ride in rain, look towards the tires that gets high rain scores. The Michelins are always near the top in the rain category.

Most everyone liked the 190/55, but that assumed you were smart enough to know what year your motorcycle was. On the 11-16 bikes, it was a good, positive change. On the 17-19, it wasnt so clear cut because it caused traction control errors. Especially if the bike had been flashed and was no longer restricted.

Fir the 2020, the geometry changed enough to not need the tire. The electronics are also completly new. No one is completly sure the system is still safe with the different tire. Let someone else figure this out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is one subject where you can have opinions because any name brand tire is good. Beyond good. Unless you buy Shinkos, any of them are more than capible.

What riding conditions do you have? If you ride in rain, look towards the tires that gets high rain scores. The Michelins are always near the top in the rain category.

Most everyone liked the 190/55, but that assumed you were smart enough to know what year your motorcycle was. On the 11-16 bikes, it was a good, positive change. On the 17-19, it wasnt so clear cut because it caused traction control errors. Especially if the bike had been flashed and was no longer restricted.

Fir the 2020, the geometry changed enough to not need the tire. The electronics are also completly new. No one is completly sure the system is still safe with the different tire. Let someone else figure this out.
Since he wrote 2013 very clearly in his opening post I am going to guess that knows what year his bike is and it just might be a 2013. Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant!

Back on topic; if the OP is looking for a sportier tire the Conti Sport Attack are also a good choice. I am running them on my Duke 890R. It came with Michelin Power Cup 2 which is a fantastic tire but wears very quickly. The rear was worn to the cords by 2400 miles. I did quite a bit of research and went with the Conti's which seems to be a very good choice.

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
I had to mention the year....just to remind those of " us" who were not sure....not all these awesome ideas apply to every year machine. A person can REALLY screw up unless they keep this in mind.

Other people besides you read the posts. I know most are smarter, and have more experience, but it never hurts to be sure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A lot of the guys here swear by the Angel GT tyres from Pirelli - Great mileage and plenty of grip - Will be 100% road riding on mixed quality tarmac surfaces.

I was always aiming for the Pilot Roads but now am considering Pilot Roads - Road Smarts - Angel Gts it will be one of those 3 and I don't think you can go wrong for road riding with any of them.
I had read though the Dunlops have the harder carcass and will give you a firmer feel when riding

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
455 Posts
Like other's said, it helps to know what the majority of your riding will be. But, assuming that you're already looking at the Road, you want something good at multiple things.

I have had the stock tires which were the S20 or S22. I couldn't stand them since I felt no confidence in the grip. I then went to the Roadsmart 3s, which were better. However, after a short time I was getting slips in the corners. Lost a lot of confidence since it wasn't predictable, to me.
I then decided to get the Road 5s and so far I like them. I prefer the canyons and to lean. I have about 6000 miles and they have plenty of grip left, but the sides look more worn. I'd get them again.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
373 Posts
Dunlop RoadSmart4.
If you are more performance oriented, Dunlop Q3+.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a 2021 model and have switched to the 190/55 size, I can assure everyone that has or will get the newer model that the TC is effected at all the levels by the diameter change of the tire.
I got the bike in the begging of June and I got 8k km today.

In Rain mode (TC 3 - low power) its not as intrusive as before, but good enough to piss you off if the asphalt isn't good enough.
In Road mode (TC 2 - full power) and Sport mode (TC 1 - full power) this is where things start going exponentially scary if you are on less grippy tire, like the sport touring section, or not used to slides of the rear for a 1-2 sec before either the TC kicks in or you release the throttle before that.

Its safe to say that the bike becomes waaay more fun to ride especially through traffic with 55 rear, fast turns are also more playful with inputs from the bar being less "heavy" if you missed your line at corner entry.

The S22 were kind of crappy and went through them in 5.5k km with nearly 1.5k km of those with a pillion, with a top box, a backpack and tank bag.
I switched to FlipFlop TTs (something between the Q3+ and the Q4 for the American market) for a race track weekend but got screwed over cause of covid rules so only had them for about 1k km and they are awesome. Screw Pirelli Supercorsas or Corsa 2 even Metzler K3s, Dunlops NTec is freaking amazing,...... that said...... track and hot weather only! As soon as the weather dropped from those hot summer day, the tires need some time to get to temp which made city rides quite annoying, with the TC flashing all the time.

I switched to my favorite tire after that which is the Metzeler M9RR, they are awesome all-around tires for me, great in wet or dry, great in clean or dirty roads and perfection when it comes to cold grip. They dont have the pointy profile of the FlipFlops but achieving 50degree lean angle on the left side and 49 degree on the right side with 60-70% riding effort I think thats quite an achievement.....

Everyone has a different opinion on the tire they like the most, what they fail to mention is what they are asking out of the tire???
I don't want a long-lasting tire, I want a tire which I can trust with grip without much care for mileage. My most touring or sport touring tire experience i've had is the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and I wouldn't go for that class anymore. I have had the M9RRs before for 7k km out of which nearly 2k km where done with a pillion on the back. They could have reached the 8k km but I sold the bike before that and they had just dropped under the 1.5mm line.

Like I said, ask yourself what do you want out the tire, but dont forget the fact that this is a tempting sporty bike, you can not go somewhere on it and be gentle with the throttle and enjoy the scenery all the way as you might do with....i dont know....some big adv bikes in the class of the 1250GS....

My recommendations would be the:
Dunlop MK3s (which for you is the Q3 or Q3+)
Diablo Ross 3 or 4
Metzeler M7 RR or M9 RR
and maaaybe the Michelin Pilot Power 3 or the RS, I say maybe cause I think theres a slight difference in production between the Michelin USA market and European Market as many friends of mine complain about the Michelins either being to softy and really vulnerable to bad roads or grip life ends prematurely even though the grooves are measuring at something between 2-3 mm of depth

Please dont hate me cause i'm right :p

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
373 Posts
I got a 2021 model and have switched to the 190/55 size, I can assure everyone that has or will get the newer model that the TC is effected at all the levels by the diameter change of the tire.

In Rain mode (TC 3 - low power) its not as intrusive as before, but good enough to piss you off if the asphalt isn't good enough.
In Road mode (TC 2 - full power) and Sport mode (TC 1 - full power) this is where things start going exponentially scary if you are on less grippy tire, like the sport touring section, or not used to slides of the rear for a 1-2 sec before either the TC kicks in or you release the throttle before that.

Its safe to say that the bike becomes waaay more fun to ride especially through traffic with 55 rear, fast turns are also more playful with inputs from the bar being less "heavy" if you missed your line at corner entry.

The S22 were kind of crappy and went through them in 5.5k km with nearly 1.5k km of those with a pillion, with a top box, a backpack and tank bag.
I switched to FlipFlop TTs (something between the Q3+ and the Q4 for the American market) for a race track weekend but got screwed over cause of covid rules so only had them for about 1k km and they are awesome. Screw Pirelli Supercorsas or Corsa 2 even Metzler K3s, Dunlops NTec is freaking amazing,...... that said...... track and hot weather only! As soon as the weather dropped from those hot summer day, the tires need some time to get to temp which made city rides quite annoying, with the TC flashing all the time.

I switched to my favorite tire after that which is the Metzeler M9RR, they are awesome all-around tires for me, great in wet or dry, great in clean or dirty roads and perfection when it comes to cold grip. They dont have the pointy profile of the FlipFlops but achieving 50degree lean angle on the left side and 49 degree on the right side with 60-70% riding effort I think thats quite an achievement.....

Everyone has a different opinion on the tire they like the most, what they fail to mention is what they are asking out of the tire???
I don't want a long-lasting tire, I want a tire which I can trust with grip without much care for mileage. My most touring or sport touring tire experience i've had is the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and I wouldn't go for that class anymore. I have had the M9RRs before for 7k km out of which nearly 2k km where done with a pillion on the back. They could have reached the 8k km but I sold the bike before that and they had just dropped under the 1.5mm line.

Like I said, ask yourself what do you want out the tire, but dont forget the fact that this is a tempting sporty bike, you can not go somewhere on it and be gentle with the throttle and enjoy the scenery all the way as you might do with....i dont know....some big adv bikes in the class of the 1250GS....

Diablo Ross 3 or 4
Metzeler M7 RR or M9 RR
and maaaybe the Michelin Pilot Power 3 or the RS, I say maybe cause I think theres a slight difference in production between the Michelin USA market and European Market as many friends of mine complain about the Michelins either being to softy and really vulnerable to bad roads or grip life ends prematurely even though the grooves are measuring at something between 2-3 mm of depth

Of course, everyone has a different objective with their Ninja 1000SX, racing included. I had no intention to race with my 1000SX so, lean angle isn't a requirement for me. If I want scalpel-like precision at high speeds, I'd go for my CBR1000RR.

190/55 makes the bike slightly taller. It'll have a higher tendency to want to lean. Just make sure you don't drop the bike when coming to a STOP sign on a slope.
I moved from 190/55 to 190/50 for my 2005 CBR because of this issue --- it's less stable at slow speed. Upon looking at the specs, both of my 2005 and 2018 CBR1000RR came with 190/50 factory tires and they lean pretty well at high speeds on a curve. I agree with you that they'll probably lean even more easily on 190/55.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Diablo Ross 3 or 4
Metzeler M7 RR or M9 RR

Nice detailed write up! Thanks for posting!

The local constable should be along shortly to issue a notice of violation for putting a 190/55 on a 2021. Apparently that is not allowed.

P.S. I also went with a 190/55 but may try a 180/55 next time around.

Reactions: Eni90

·
Registered
33 Posts
Of course, everyone has a different objective with their Ninja 1000SX, racing included. I had no intention to race with my 1000SX so, lean angle isn't a requirement for me. If I want scalpel-like precision at high speeds, I'd go for my CBR1000RR.

190/55 makes the bike slightly taller. It'll have a higher tendency to want to lean. Just make sure you don't drop the bike when coming to a STOP sign on a slope.
I moved from 190/55 to 190/50 for my 2005 CBR because of this issue --- it's less stable at slow speed. Upon looking at the specs, both of my 2005 and 2018 CBR1000RR came with 190/50 factory tires and they lean pretty well at high speeds on a curve. I agree with you that they'll probably lean even more easily on 190/55.
Yeee I have had some close calls too but its me I guess being a dwarf at 169cm which I think its a nearly 5 foot 7 for you guys, but still I love the way the bike likes to stay straight even on 55s at the rear (of course I make the comparison to my Z900 with 180/55 which is also 3 cm lower as stock and I still ended up lowering it 2 cm more, yet still I feel more confident on the SX)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice detailed write up! Thanks for posting!

The local constable should be along shortly to issue a notice of violation for putting a 190/55 on a 2021. Apparently that is not allowed.

P.S. I also went with a 190/55 but may try a 180/55 next time around.
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

The only reason they stop me now, is to ask about the bike, cause the only bikes they know around here are GS models and the Honda X-ADV facepalm

Also having changed the middle black fairing to the gray version after a tiny bity rear end scenario makes a bit cooler looking dont you think ? :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is the grip consistent throughout the life of the tire? Do the tires wear evenly across the tread with no cupping?
I hope I'm not lying but I can say with 95% assurance that the tires did hold up the curvature even up to that point (less then 1.5mm depth) and yes the grip still felt the same especially on the side walls!
What I can maybe add as comparison info is that the bike was a Z900 from 2018 model, which meant it had no TC and the throttle was way jerkier than on the new SX also shorter gear for acceleration so you had to be kind of gentle with the low end torque, buuuut not such an issue with the M9RR flatter profile on, you ended up wheeling for no reason before even trying to lose traction.
As per tire pressure I'm at 2.3 front 2.6-2.7 rear(2.8 on loaded) what are yours on the 55s?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hope I'm not lying but I can say with 95% assurance that the tires did hold up the curvature even up to that point (less then 1.5mm depth) and yes the grip still felt the same especially on the side walls!
What I can maybe add as comparison info is that the bike was a Z900 from 2018 model, which meant it had no TC and the throttle was way jerkier than on the new SX also shorter gear for acceleration so you had to be kind of gentle with the low end torque, buuuut not such an issue with the M9RR flatter profile on, you ended up wheeling for no reason before even trying to lose traction.
As per tire pressure I'm at 2.3 front 2.6-2.7 rear(2.8 on loaded) what are yours on the 55s?
Thanks for that. That is what I was hoping for.

I am running 2.4 front and 2.8-2.9 on the rear as it is loaded when I am by myself. I haven't experimented a lot with tire pressure and probably should do some more. I will give the Metzelers a try. This bike fills a more sporting role in my lineup and the reading you are seeing on your lean angle without maximum effort is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I want one in the merits of helium in tires. It will make them super light, decreasing drag ........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts