Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my 600 mile service a little over a week ago!
I am curious how much the 1000 mile service will be...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doh! I mis-read the manual and though the next service was at 1,000 miles
I have since learned how to read and now know that the next service isn't due until 4,000 miles.

Whew! Dodged a Bullet on that one LOL!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If only I knew how to delete a thread LOL!
I was more than a little red in the face.

Seriously, I have been very pleasantly surprised at the low total cost of ownership compared to HD. I think I expect someone to come and take money out of my wallet or something LOL!

I put so much money into my Road King just to get a relatively small performance boost: gear driven cams, new cams, new air handler, head-work, 88->97ci pistons, headers, pipes, race tuner, dyno tuning, ohlins rear shock, intiminator valves and work perf springs in forks, touring seat, custom handlebars, frame stabilizer, etc. For all that ... >800 pound sled with 92 hp 97 tq that handled at best - ok. Still had max 30 degree lean angle, etc.

I am absolutely blown away by the out of the box performance of the Ninja 1000. Replacing the stock seat with a Sargent has been the only upgrade I've really needed so far.

My wife, who still rides an HD Softail Deluxe, is amazed at how hard I've fallen in love with my new bike.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
If only I knew how to delete a thread LOL!
I was more than a little red in the face.

NEVER delete a thread...Your "dumb" question will help someone, sometime...never a problem, I promise! Plus, the peopel here are cool and I've never seen them criticize or call names.

Seriously, I have been very pleasantly surprised at the low total cost of ownership compared to HD. I think I expect someone to come and take money out of my wallet or something LOL!

I put so much money into my Road King just to get a relatively small performance boost: gear driven cams, new cams, new air handler, head-work, 88->97ci pistons, headers, pipes, race tuner, dyno tuning, ohlins rear shock, intiminator valves and work perf springs in forks, touring seat, custom handlebars, frame stabilizer, etc. For all that ... >800 pound sled with 92 hp 97 tq that handled at best - ok. Still had max 30 degree lean angle, etc.

I am absolutely blown away by the out of the box performance of the Ninja 1000. Replacing the stock seat with a Sargent has been the only upgrade I've really needed so far.

My wife, who still rides an HD Softail Deluxe, is amazed at how hard I've fallen in love with my new bike.

I'd never bag on Harley. They are 100% brilliant in being able to market what amounts to 70's and 80's technology in 2014. Try that with a car or tv set.

BUT, its still old technology and design. Our ninja is at least up to 2005 standards...which is plenty. Theres been a lot of positive things happen in those years and if often why you wont find a Harley rider that willing to try a modern bike. They are two different things, as you've found out.

Which is why Harley is over its peak..I feel. Most of us in our late 40's to 60 grew up on Japanese bikes and know how good they are.

Also, about the third time you run across some guy that owns a Toyota with 400,000 mile son it, Japanese technology starts to look pretty good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am so grateful that I was open minded and did some honest research and had the balls to make the switch! Seriously the best motorcycle decision of my life. People that haven't invested a small fortune trying to make an HD perform they way they want probably don't realize just how good they have it. It is truly a thing of wonder to me...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harley-Davidson has created such an iconic brand, has great dealership network, cool clothing lines, etc.

My local Kawasaki dealers don't even stock many common Kawasaki accessories like their frame sliders or their nifty little tail bag. When I inquired why not, they told me that the were too expensive and that everyone buy's third party. I was amazed.

I wanted to get a few shirts and some swag - I was shocked at how trivial the selection was available. Kawasaki could learn a ton from HD, but if it were just that easy all motorcycle companies would do it I suppose...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts