Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

What helmets do you all wear?

16K views 96 replies 54 participants last post by  Geoff C 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Shoei Neotec 2. I like it, very comfortable, but it's black, and with my most recent weight loss it's getting a little big around my cheeks. That's more of an excuse to buy a different helmet though. Lol.

Definitely considering a new white helmet... Just not sure what to get. Was thinking about getting a full face, hoping it's a little bit quieter. Modular a are generally a little louder but the Neotec is supposedly a quiet helmet in general.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Icon Airflite Stealth - Lite and good airflow.
Meets DOT FMVSS 218 (US), ECE 22-05 (Europe), & PSC (Japan) Helmet Safety Standards.
Includes Clear & Dark Smoke Fliteshield™. Includes Dark Smoke Dropshield™.
Removable HydraDry™ moisture-wicking liner.
Personal protective equipment Grey Personal computer hardware Carbon Input device

#35 ·
I just ordered a seriously new/old stock Bel rs-1, from Canada. It was 150.00, shipped. It's a spare. The only helmet that has ever fit me. I'll cry when I wear this one out. I needed a new face shield for my old rs1. This e tire helmet didnt cost much more. I'm not crazy about its age, but it fits.

#36 ·
Shoei fits my head well. I wear glasses so I like the flip face is my preference. I started with the Syncrotec years ago and now have my second Neotec that I like a lot. I stuck with the original Neotec 1 since I have a Cardo communicator and Shoei married a Sena unit to their Neotec 2 right where I wanted to mount the Cardo.
My last Neotec was purchased by insurance so it was full price but I've never had problems finding year old stock for around $300. I've tried Nolan and HJC flip face helmets and felt they were both a bit cheap. That was a few years ago and it could have been they just didn't fit my head shape that well.

#37 ·
#38 ·
I wear the Arai Signet Q. I've got the long oval head shape, all other helmets I've tried create pressure on my forehead causing a headache in an hour or less.

#39 ·
Scorpion T1200. I like the red and black color scheme to match the bike as well as the internal sun shield. Internal sun shield is absolutely mandatory for me to buy a helmet; I'm not farting around with carrying and changing out tinted face shields or spending $150 on a photochromic shield that scratches as easily as a $20 shield. I'll probably replace it with a HJC 70 or AGV K model when it's time to retire the helmet.

#40 ·
I currently have an HJC RPHA 70 and like it but the fit could be a tad better. I want a drop down shade rather than sunglasses so this limits my options.

I tried on a lot of helmets at CG last Saturday, HJC, Shoei, Arai and AGV, very few from any manufacturer don’t jack my Rx glasses but the AGV K5-S fits good, better than my HJC.

Champion Helmets on YT have good technical reviews, fit is a different story.

#44 ·
There is no evidence that expensive helmets protect better than cheap ones. The testing here will show that, so dont keep repeating the "Whats your head worth". That thought is'nt true, and never was. Bell helmets used this idea back in 1970. The only official testing program im aware of is here. As you can see, Schuberth makes a very average helmet thats very expensive. Especially considerign its average test results.. A cheap HJC will score higher.

I dont believe I will buy another expensive hemet unless it has this MIPS system. This is a feature that really is a "feature". It does appear like it might make a helmet more safe. This system isnt specific to a brand.

#46 ·
There is no evidence that expensive helmets protect better than cheap ones. The testing here will show that, so dont keep repeating the "Whats your head worth". That thought is'nt true, and never was. Bell helmets used this idea back in 1970. The only official testing program im aware of is here. As you can see, Schuberth makes a very average helmet thats very expensive. Especially considerign its average test results.. A cheap HJC will score higher.

I dont believe I will buy another expensive hemet unless it has this MIPS system. This is a feature that really is a "feature". It does appear like it might make a helmet more safe. This system isnt specific to a brand.

If you're going to use Sharp as your standard then certainly Arai is very overpriced. It looks like Bell, AGV, Shark, Nolan/X-lite, Shoei do best overall. All brands I've been able to get at significant discounts, except for Shoei. Even low cost Scorpion scores as well as Arai. HJC is all over the place, some 5* some 1*.

#45 ·
It's true that any snell approved helmet has the same protection as any other snell approved helmet. Some new helmets are also working on rotational injuries.
What you usually get for the money is fit, comfort, weight difference, features, noise control, and appearance.

Me? I've been an Arai user for about 20 years, but used bell and vetter helmets in the past.

#47 · (Edited)
Burtcaster, I know, it's crazy, isn't it? I know what biker guy said is correct. You do get nicer features when you pay more, but probably no more safety, or any less.

Are you guys old enough to remember the Motorcyclist Magazine helmet test? They went out and bought a collection of the various helmets available, at the time. They bought high end Shoei and Arai as well as cheap helmets like zr1 and Fulmer.

They sent these helmets to a lab and ran some very reasonable tests. When it was all over, the non snell approved, 89.00 zr1 helmet had the best scores. It was a decent improvement over the 500.00 Aria or Shoei. You can imagine how this article pissed off shoei and arai. In the end, the magazine editor was fired. It was such a **** storm, no one will ever do another helmet shootout, or review with safety in mind.

So, if you hear older people telling you that the cheap, softer, non Snell helmets are better, this is where that comes from.

I'm not sure how relevant the info is, today. The newer snell standards were met with softer helmets, so it's probably worth nothing.

But, other than the Sharps system, that's about it, isnt it?

I think this link will go to the test. Over the years, its been harder and harder to find. Go figure.

#49 · (Edited)
Ordered in the new AGV K6, was on sale on champion helmets with your choice of pinlock visors for 500.00.

Key features, you can get transitions visor and it has a first release for city driving to allow more air in. Plus ultra light.

#50 ·
Both myself and my GF use an Icon Airflite. Mine in matte black and hers in white. Love em. It's not the most feature rich, but it's ECE rated and has a built in sunvisor, which was a major selling point for us.

Reactions: Riv
#51 ·
I’ve had a Fulmer, a couple Scorpion Exo 700s, a Shoei RF-1200, a Scorpion R410, and currently an Arai Signet-X. For the money, I really loved the R410 until the padding broke down. The Signet-X is the first helmet I’ve had that never causes a hotspot on my forehead. I use a Pinlock ProtecTint insert with it and have no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#52 ·
After 10 years and two Neotecs I just went to the RF-1400 in hopes of a quieter helmet. I did not find it as quiet as I hoped but it feels great, the light weight is nice and it feels stable and easy to turn my head at interstate speeds.

Reactions: Oramac
#53 ·
Lots of years with Shoei Synchrotecs & now Neotecs. I find a flip face to be so much more convenient to put on and off over glasses and just to flip it open for short stops. And the Shoei fits my head shape well. It may not be as quiet as a full face but convenience won the day. Also really like the Neotec's flip down sun shield.

Reactions: Oramac
#54 ·
Arai Quantum X because it fits. The available shapes from Arai is what makes them such a good helmet. In my case when I bought Bell Star or Scorpion I needed their extra large and still got forehead discomfort. I wear a medium from Arai and is very comfortable. The interior materials are really soft. The magnet on the Bell chin strap is really a nice feature and wish Arai had that instead of the snap. There is some interesting technology in the Arai and is a good read from their website.

#56 ·
I have a Shoei Neotec 2. I like it, very comfortable, but it's black, and with my most recent weight loss it's getting a little big around my cheeks. That's more of an excuse to buy a different helmet though. Lol.

Definitely considering a new white helmet... Just not sure what to get. Was thinking about getting a full face, hoping it's a little bit quieter. Modular a are generally a little louder but the Neotec is supposedly a quiet helmet in general.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I wear a Shoei RF-1200 full Face very comfortable. I did the pad replacement too.

Bc2

#57 ·
Have you guys ran across a helmet with bad venting? I really need vents that don't work.

I wear gas perm contact lenses, and airflow around my eyes is a real problem. If you run across something that has bad vents, please let me know. I tape them, from the inside, but that doesn't help as much as it sounds like it would.

#58 ·
Just a suggestion...get a better windscreen. My Shoei doesn't vent worth a damn when the higher touring screen is on the bike. Works fine with the Puig screen on.

Actually, the Shoei has a shield under the chin and with the vents closed it's pretty unvented. It fogs up in a heartbeat like that.

Reactions: rcannon409
#60 ·
I'll have to try it with the V Stream. Good idea. That's the next step in this stupid dream, isn't it? Block the air and it fogs up...which REALLY doesn't work well. Probably worse than having dry contact lenses.....? At that point, I re-remember why the vent was there in the first place.

To be fair, it's really only bad at speeds where good vision is a matter of life and death, so there's that....
I have a pinlock in all my helmets - The visor never fogs no matter what - The glasses I wear on the other hand it does very little for :)

#59 ·
I'll have to try it with the V Stream. Good idea. That's the next step in this stupid dream, isn't it? Block the air and it fogs up...which REALLY doesn't work well. Probably worse than having dry contact lenses.....? At that point, I re-remember why the vent was there in the first place.

To be fair, it's really only bad at speeds where good vision is a matter of life and death, so there's that....

Reactions: Energydrinkvape
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.