Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I've owned about everything there is but Arai, Shoei and Schuberth. I've seriously considered a Schuberth because I can see they are a step above everything else on the market in quality, but I don't feel the same about Arai and Shoei. I've been able to get Nolan, Shark, Kabuto, AGV and Bell helmets of equal or better quality on closeout from $100-$150. Arai and Shoei don't allow that kind of discount. I love my Kabuto, better quality, comfort and padding that the Shoe GT I tried recently. I like my Nolan modular best for long trips and I have a Bell star I got for $150 I like for the winter because it has a windjammer on it.

I've also owned a number of Scorpions. Although not the same quality as the above, still a good quality helmet I generally paid $50-$100 for them.
bell, shoei neotech, schuberth E1, schuberth C4.

the C4 is the bomb ! Great fit to slightly oval head, built in intercom, plush lining, great chin pad, very quiet. I got the carbon fiber version with the yellow safety paint stripe. Love how it looks, so comfortable...

·
Registered
11 Posts
bell, shoei neotech, schuberth E1, schuberth C4.

the C4 is the bomb ! Great fit to slightly oval head, built in intercom, plush lining, great chin pad, very quiet. I got the carbon fiber version with the yellow safety paint stripe. Love how it looks, so comfortable...
Huge discount at Champion Helmets from Europe, but still pricy, but what is your brain worth.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
There is no evidence that expensive helmets protect better than cheap ones. The testing here will show that, so dont keep repeating the "Whats your head worth". That thought is'nt true, and never was. Bell helmets used this idea back in 1970. The only official testing program im aware of is here. As you can see, Schuberth makes a very average helmet thats very expensive. Especially considerign its average test results.. A cheap HJC will score higher.

I dont believe I will buy another expensive hemet unless it has this MIPS system. This is a feature that really is a "feature". It does appear like it might make a helmet more safe. This system isnt specific to a brand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's true that any snell approved helmet has the same protection as any other snell approved helmet. Some new helmets are also working on rotational injuries.
What you usually get for the money is fit, comfort, weight difference, features, noise control, and appearance.

Me? I've been an Arai user for about 20 years, but used bell and vetter helmets in the past.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is no evidence that expensive helmets protect better than cheap ones. The testing here will show that, so dont keep repeating the "Whats your head worth". That thought is'nt true, and never was. Bell helmets used this idea back in 1970. The only official testing program im aware of is here. As you can see, Schuberth makes a very average helmet thats very expensive. Especially considerign its average test results.. A cheap HJC will score higher.

I dont believe I will buy another expensive hemet unless it has this MIPS system. This is a feature that really is a "feature". It does appear like it might make a helmet more safe. This system isnt specific to a brand.

If you're going to use Sharp as your standard then certainly Arai is very overpriced. It looks like Bell, AGV, Shark, Nolan/X-lite, Shoei do best overall. All brands I've been able to get at significant discounts, except for Shoei. Even low cost Scorpion scores as well as Arai. HJC is all over the place, some 5* some 1*.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Burtcaster, I know, it's crazy, isn't it? I know what biker guy said is correct. You do get nicer features when you pay more, but probably no more safety, or any less.

Are you guys old enough to remember the Motorcyclist Magazine helmet test? They went out and bought a collection of the various helmets available, at the time. They bought high end Shoei and Arai as well as cheap helmets like zr1 and Fulmer.

They sent these helmets to a lab and ran some very reasonable tests. When it was all over, the non snell approved, 89.00 zr1 helmet had the best scores. It was a decent improvement over the 500.00 Aria or Shoei. You can imagine how this article pissed off shoei and arai. In the end, the magazine editor was fired. It was such a **** storm, no one will ever do another helmet shootout, or review with safety in mind.

So, if you hear older people telling you that the cheap, softer, non Snell helmets are better, this is where that comes from.

I'm not sure how relevant the info is, today. The newer snell standards were met with softer helmets, so it's probably worth nothing.

But, other than the Sharps system, that's about it, isnt it?

I think this link will go to the test. Over the years, its been harder and harder to find. Go figure.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts