Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Me too. Progressive, who I had my cars with for 10+ years and GEICO wouldn't insure my "high performance" bike. Switched it all over to State Farm for the multiple vehicle discounts and its about $200 every 6 months for the bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had nationwide with my 07 Suzuki sv 1000 and I payed 50/month full coverage I ask for a quote on a new 2015 ninja 1000 he told me 160/month full coverage!! He said its cause it's a brand new bike even though it's the same cc's and class. Mind you I have no tickets or accidents on my record and I'm 28. Switched to State Farm and now I pay 33/month full coverage on my 2015 ninja 1000 pays to shop around I switched my truck over as well and cut it in half on that as well

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Dont you get the feeling many of these companies just dont want to insure this bike at all? Rather thna say "NO!" they just price it high.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Insurance

Dont you get the feeling many of these companies just dont want to insure this bike at all? Rather thna say "NO!" they just price it high.
You are right about that.......price it way over any common sense..i pay about 365/year with Dairyand...65 years old no tickets or accidents for over 20 years...i am what you call sneaky fast:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
State Farm too

I pay $50 and change per month with State Farm. No tickets/accidents. Most others were $1500 a year and up. Even if the bike was free that would be ridiculous.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Swann Insurance in Australia. Spotless driving/riding history - it's costing me AUD$87.52 (USD$62) per month for full comprehensive insurance for the value of of the bike AUD$16,000.00. Works out to AUD$1,050.24 (USD$744) per year. I think I'm getting ripped-off! :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2016 N1K and with full coverage and highest liability through State Farm I am paying $280/year. I have been with them for 40 years and have all my other bikes, cars and home through them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My insurance in Michigan is a little over $800 a year with a $500 deductible. Or a $1000 with a $250 deductible. I chose the $800 a year which is about $200 more than my FZ6R. My insurance company is State Farms and I have a clean drivers record and I'm 50.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
I'm 50. Good driving record and many extra drivers safety certificates, etc. Salt Lake shitty Utah.

I had a serious panic moment when I bought my ninja and started pricing insurance. I tried state farm, farmers, and progressive. All were 700-1500 per year.

As a random shot, I tried AMIG. It was 260 per year, the first year and has now dropped to 230.

I've also seen amig be very high for other areas, but it does pay to shop around with this bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm 50. Good driving record and many extra drivers safety certificates, etc. Salt Lake shitty Utah.

I had a serious panic moment when I bought my ninja and started pricing insurance. I tried state farm, farmers, and progressive. All were 700-1500 per year.

As a random shot, I tried AMIG. It was 260 per year, the first year and has now dropped to 230.

I've also seen amig be very high for other areas, but it does pay to shop around with this bike.
I'm going to call them tomorrow. State Farms don't give discounts for a MSF card, so we will see what rate I get at AMIG.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Suzuki M109r was with Progressive and was $56 per month. I called about the Ninja and they wanted $110. lol. State Farm was $69 but Met Life beat everybody at $51 per month. That is full coverage, roadside assistance and towing. 43 years old and clean driving record.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My agent first quoted something ridiculous on my N1K, but after discussing it with him we determined he had selected a ZX10 Ninja in error. Because I'm an old pharker and I have the multi-bike discount, I'm paying $327.32 through Dairyland. Take that you young whippersnappers.

·
Registered
828 Posts
There are so many variables to good rates nowadays. They look at your credit, your claim history, the bike, where you live and so on. Tough to compare rates unless you are a real outlier compared to most. Also most people don't list their coverage limits and deductibles.

I am pretty happy with Geico. They were cheaper than Progressive and I'd been with them for about 10 years or so. For me the Ninja isn't terrible to insure in absolute terms. It is just about $400/yr. I do have high limits of coverage, uninsured & undinsured motorist, $250 deductible, towing, medical and some other things I forget.

So my Ninja costs me less than a bottle of Coke a day. I can't really complain about that. OTOH the CTX's pricing I thought was a misprint when I quoted it. It was something like 20 cents a day. They just should have made it free. I think it is something crazy like $76/yr.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just be careful with what the coverage actually covers, especially if you a good bit of value in accessories on the bike. GEICO will NOT cover the cost of replacing the accessories - they determine the value they add to the bike and that's all you'll get for them. When my 2013 green ninja got totaled, almost 3k in parts amounted to 600$ in value... Needless to say, i had the bike towed to my home and pulled all my good parts off, and put the OE stuff back on. They were very good to deal with otherwise, but their coverage is not all that. No doubt that if you have a "non-total" accident, they are not going to give you the full replacement value if say the exhaust got fubar'd... My coverage on GEICO was around $800 a year for full coverage/collision...

Friend of mine is an adjuster specifically for bikes with progressive and their coverage is more, but they cover the accessories up to the given amount, no questions asked. Just show em the receipts or a print out of the item on the website for sale. My coverage with progressive is 1300 a year for full coverage, and partly much higher than geico due to the collision claim from the prior bike... Apples to Apples too, since same bike same year...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Progressive quoted me almost $1300/yr. Female, married, 49, great credit, homeowner, spotless driving record AND RiderCoach. Interestingly, when I had to change my policy to Missouri, they wouldn't renew my MSF BRC credit because it has been over three years since I took it. I guess it doesn't matter that I do in the neighborhood of 20 BRCs per year. I WILL be shopping around. Thanks for the good leads, everyone!

41 - 60 of 176 Posts