Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
The major advantage of using a good quality synthetic is that it lasts longer than regular oil. The synthetic resists shearing and thermal breakdown longer allowing more time between changes. It is more pure at a molecular level will provide a bit better engine protection, especially if you run your engine hard often.

Reactions: trialsguy

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Johnny, if you take my situation, I'll be up against a years time before I ever get the miles from synthetic.

It's rare when I can put over 3000 on my bike in a given year.

Two bikes keep the Mike figure, for each, rather low.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Has any one used Motul Oil, is there any advantage in going with the synthetic or synthetic blend,,.
Thoughts would be appreciated,,?

I cant seem to locate in this area some of the better brands mentioned,,.
in non synthetic I find the following with JASO designation in 10w 40

1) Lucas hi performance seems to be common
2) Castrol
3) Motul 300V Full Synthetic Motor Oil
4) Motul 5100 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil 10W40 5) Motul 3000 Paraffin-Based Motor Oil 10W40

I am presently using M 5100 and have no complaints other than having to drive to a cycle shop to get it and its up there a little in cost. Have plans to try Lucas semi which is very popular and available here in Tx. with the racer guys. In fact I have my order put in already for the end of the month so we'll soon see.:)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
So RC you reckon if the synthetic is in for a year it needs to be changed out anyway?

And
What about the stories how people switch to a certain oil and all of a sudden everything is silky smooth,,. Is that an over active imagination or is there something too it?

Johnny, if you take my situation, I'll be up against a years time before I ever get the miles from synthetic.

It's rare when I can put over 3000 on my bike in a given year.

Two bikes keep the Mike figure, for each, rather low.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Lag....lol..no idea if it should be changed....logic says it's fine....then my stupid brain kicks in, and I change it. I love the topic, and at the same time, I hate it.

Over on the zx10 forum, a guy has a 2014 zx10..blown engine, but 71,000 miles. Reading hisncomments, he has had 2-3 oil changes, and that's it. It's right here. People are being cool and not being critical of this schedule. Gen 4: 2011-2015 2013 71,000 miles - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

So, does is mean he had an oil failure, or WHAT?

I do change it, yearly, but have no facts, or reasons to suggest you should. I change it in my car that sits, too.

I'll always share any info I know to be true, but on this topic, I'm as clueless as anyone else.

So, if I can change synthetic less often, I'm probably wasting my money changing it yearly? Then again, it's 50 bucks, max, and the penalty for running it past its "use by" date could be a big one.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Any one try this stuff, or an opinion,. My dealer has it on for $12.95 Can,,. Actually less then some of the local pricing on the non Synthetic's and the blends,,.
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke Full Synthetic Oil is exclusively formulated 100% synthetic

https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/K61021207A

I figure change once a season, every season that's five or ten thousand miles, rather then twice?

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
That oil is probably excellent. I wonder who makes it for them?

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Looks alot like a Citgo bottle.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Someone suggested on one of the forums that it says on the bottle that its made by Motul and by coincidence the second brand the Kawi dealer has on the shelf is Motul which is semi Synthetic and 6 dollars a quart more then the full synthetic Kawi oil,,. The Kawi Syn is actually the best value if you can go 5 or 10 thousand and only do it once a season, filter, plug and all,,.

Motul 5100 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil 10W40 5 $18.95
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke Full Synthetic Oil $12.95
Kawasaki Performance 4-Stroke S 9.95
Lucas hi performance none synthetic S 10.95

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Good observation,,,the bottle looks closer to the Citgo then a Motul and apparently Citgo make oil for Harley Davidson as well?

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
We saw an "application for bid" for some exhaust pipes to be made for the Yamaha accessory division GYTR.

It told how many units they wanted (250) and gave fairly specific design parameters for the construction.

But my from what it sounded like, company "A" might win this time, and company "B" might win the next time. I suspect the oil works the same way?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
They do it with labeling in the food industry all the time,,.
and perhaps, with the oil too,. It would be hard for them to garner a product reputation if that's the case,,.

We all ready know they do it with their gel seat and play dum when you ask them where its made,,. They say USA,,!!

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
Good observation,,,the bottle looks closer to the Citgo then a Motul and apparently Citgo make oil for Harley Davidson as well?
It actually looks the same just spun 180 so that the back of Citgo is the front on Kawi to me. Who knows and more than likely about the time we do someone else will get the new contract from Kawi and we'll be reading the next group talking about the same thing.
I remember in the late 90s I heard the same company that kawi oil came from the was the manufacturer of motul also but couldn't afford it then so just bought Valvoline.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ill phone them on Tuesday, someone said on one of the bike sites that its printed in the details on the back of the bottle but I cant locate where I read that, only reason its of interest is that its really a good value, 40% less when compared with any other synthetic available in this local market,,.

It actually looks the same just spun 180 so that the back of Citgo is the front on Kawi to me. Who knows and more than likely about the time we do someone else will get the new contract from Kawi and we'll be reading the next group talking about the same thing.
I remember in the late 90s I heard the same company that kawi oil came from the was the manufacturer of motul also but couldn't afford it then so just bought Valvoline.

·
Registered
39 Posts
MOTUL Synthetic Oil

Break in and first change is standard oil. I switched to Kawasaki Synthetic 10W40 for my yearly's. My spare quart is MOTUL 10W50, just because Kawasaki & MOTUL 10W40 were not available. That's perfectly fine too, standard Kawasaki oil is used, by the ZX-10R & ZX-14R. If you have the money, buy synthetic.

MOTUL is used for racing and any synthetic oil equals performance & considered a performance upgrade. MOTUL & Mobil 1 synthetic are it; Kawasaki synthetic for yearly changes.

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.