Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing chain and sprockets (early)(30,000km), because of chain noise and vibration. I'm noticing uneven sprocket wear on the outside of the countershaft sprocket. Could this be anything besides a wheel alignment issue? Rear sprocket is worn, but not the sides.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow. I have never seen a countershaft sprocket with that type of wear. Like you I would suspect some sort of alignment issue between the sprockets. It is possible that since you have already disassembled things that the root cause will be alleviated once you properly install the new parts, if it was some sort of assembly issue. I would also examine the chain which you removed for any other clues.

Reactions: Northern Ninja

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I can also see where that is an rk branded sprocket. They make good parts, but often times are more concerned with the center portion of the sprocket fitting. Lots of times the offset isnt as exact as it is with the oem sprocket.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. I have never seen a countershaft sprocket with that type of wear. Like you I would suspect some sort of alignment issue between the sprockets. It is possible that since you have already disassembled things that the root cause will be alleviated once you properly install the new parts, if it was some sort of assembly issue. I would also examine the chain which you removed for any other clues.
My thought was alignment, but the rear sprocket is fine, and the chain doesn't show wear on the side you'd expect, so I'll put the new stuff on, use my new chain alignment tool from motion pro, and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure the rear wheel cush drive internal spacer is installed correctly ?
Not positive.... what should I be looking for? A shop did the last tire swap, so I'll have a look when I get home.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Inside the cush drive is a support for the cush drive bearing. The ground diameter needs to fit inside the bearing. Sometimes they get installed backwards or not at all.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
348 Posts
As Chrispy has said, the spacer can go in either way, but this is the correct orientation. The picture is for the ZRX, but I assume the N1K will be the same.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My thought was alignment, but the rear sprocket is fine, and the chain doesn't show wear on the side you'd expect, so I'll put the new stuff on, use my new chain alignment tool from motion pro, and keep an eye on it.
Rear sprocket is far less affected by chain misalignment. Because the rear sprocket is much larger in size, it dictates the chain alignment angle. The front sprocket, being much smaller, ends up having to accommodate the misalignment. Having much less teeth also means the front will wear much faster.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Everything seems fine in the cush drive, so I'll line everything up when my breaker and alignment tool arrive and see if that was the problem.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
If you saw the section on the gearing commander web site, it tells you that wear like this is because of "same tooth, same link" chain rotation.

It's not a problem you have much control over if you like your gearing the way it is now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you saw the section on the gearing commander web site, it tells you that wear like this is because of "same tooth, same link" chain rotation.

It's not a problem you have much control over if you like your gearing the way it is now.
Yes, and I do. I love the 16/39. For me, most of my miles are touring so I can't see changing back anytime soon. There may be a 2020 in my future so I probably won't put enough miles on this bike to worry about it.

Speaking of the 2020's, do you have any idea if Kawasaki fixed any of the issues that made the Ivan's flash so desirable on the older bikes?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Kawasaki may have been able to smooth over some of the issues. I doubt the new bike is as bad as or 11-13 bikes are. They have had 10 years to figure it out, but the emissions requirements, and fuel cut are there. Theres no way to produce a compliant bike and have it run like it would with an Ivan's flash. They would, if they could.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts