Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Depending on humidity, typically colder air = more dense air = more fuel = more power. My truck always runs best between 50-60 deg. I've had my 0-60 times drop by over half a second compared to 80 deg temps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
40 degrees cold? lol! /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif I'd love to have those warms temps.
How cold are we talking? The most I've done is 23 degrees F with real feel due to windchill being in the teens this season. Obviously with heated liners

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Wind chill on a motorcycle for any amount of time is not good. Maybe I should say at least for me as I've never had the built in R value that some enjoy.
At 19 I rode from Dallas to Sierra Vista AZ for spring break. Due to trying to avoid a storm down South, in Cloudcroft NM I was so cold that I was shaking the bike and thought I couldn't hold on much longer. When I stopped for fuel I couldn't get the gas cap open and asked the clerk if he had a pry bar. He gave me some coffee and used the key to open it for me. Just as in my case hypothermia is no joke, dress warm guys, and all you Southern side of planet people enjoy your Summer.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
How cold are we talking? The most I've done is 23 degrees F with real feel due to windchill being in the teens this season. Obviously with heated liners
We've been consistently in the mid to high 20s over the last couple weeks. Today it hit 40! I wanted to ride to work but it was only 21 this morning and frost covered everything. My record is a 25 mile ride to work at 8 degrees F. No heated gear. Not gonna do that again!

I set the bar at a minimum of 25 nowadays before I start taking the car instead of the bike.

·
Registered
411 Posts
We hit 50s and 60s in the Ozarks! I put in 100+ miles on the 300(0) yesterday, no heated gear needed!:grin:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't like you very much. :D

I moved here from Des Moines three years ago. I would've hated me back then, too.;)

The winter after I learned to ride we had 56 inches of snow. I was incredibly grouchy for about five months.:mad:

Forlorn Shania_edited.jpg

The bikes: 2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 ("Shania") and the headlight of a 1985 'Wing. The '78 KZ 400 is probably buried back there somewhere, too. Wish we had kept it--that decision makes me grouchy sometimes, too.:mad::mad:

FWIW, it's supposed to be in the 50s here next week, too...:devil:

·
Registered
411 Posts
No heated gear needed?! Wow...we break out the heated gear if it drops into the 60's! :grin:

---Eric (San Diego, CA)

I'm a hearty Midwestern native. I once rode my 2008 NINJA 250R to teach motorcycle class (not required, BTW, I just insisted on riding it to class that day) in 28-degree temps (and the promise of high 40s and sun when it was time to ride home), stock windshield (HA!!), no heated gear, and LOTS of layers. I think I had five layers on my torso and not a one of them came off the whole time I was outside teaching class.:eek:

I can go either way with heated gear in the 50s, depending on sun, wind, clouds, rain, humidity, etc. If I can avoid being tethered with wires, I do, but if it's rainy/damp, I'd rather be tethered and cozy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts