Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
The Kawi Eliminator of the 80's could've used a catchier name but I always thought they were cool bikes, as were most of the power cruisers of that era. They had sane rider ergos that actually worked quite well. Not like the folded taco ilk of today.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Volfy, tell us about the eliminator you rode. Talk about its handling, and its ground clearance. I dont believe anyone who rode one would describe anythig about it as "quite well". I actually did ride one. It was a cruiser with drag bars. Nothing more, nothing less.

Young machine is like the political candidate who finishes in 3rd place. They can say and claim anything they want to as they are not accountable to anyone and never have to put a plan in motion.

Occasionally they do predict bikes that get produced. Maybe a 50% success rate. This one sounds possible. It would be nice to see an inline 4 sneak into the cruiser world.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had an Eliminator 400 for a period of time. Like RC says it was a cruiser with drag bars but it was a good fun bike to ride. Like Volfy said, It was not a bad seating position.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I crashed a brand new 1985 model. 900cc. In Rock Springs, wyoming. A pretty red/orange paint scheme. It was supposed to be a short test ride. It was a great engine in a terrible chassis, with shaft drive thrown in just to finish it off. The bike had a lot of power, for its day. The torque acting on the shaft drive ends up locking the rear suspension. If you hit a bump, under acceleration, the *** end would give a "Yamahop" . When the rear wheel landed, it was an Instant high side.

It was a good bike for Kawasaki to build, at that time. Cruiser looking bikes were as popular then as the retro look is now.

We had the 600cc version. It was just a big bore version of what Mr Agurudev had. With less torque, it was a much better machine.

It was a great time to ride motorcycles. New models were released every day. Real new, ground up redesigns. The changes made to a ninja 1000 between 2011 and 2020 would barely be enough to file a report on. 1/4 mile times were everything. If one bike ran a 10.999999, and one bike ran a 11.000000001, the ten second bike was fast...the 11 bike was slow.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I crashed a brand new 1985 model. 900cc. In Rock Springs, wyoming. A pretty red/orange paint scheme. It was supposed to be a short test ride. It was a great engine in a terrible chassis, with shaft drive thrown in just to finish it off. The bike had a lot of power, for its day. The torque acting on the shaft drive ends up locking the rear suspension. If you hit a bump, under acceleration, the *** end would give a "Yamahop" . When the rear wheel landed, it was an Instant high side.
As you describe this, particularly with the yamahop at the end I keep thinking Vmax. Another bike with great engine with a killer chassis. Killer as in, you're gonna die. There was nothing like that back in the day. A frame and wheels that could barely control the engine bolted to it.

I kinda liked all these bikes as bad as they handled, just for their engines and the way they basically gave the finger to Harley's slow air cooled cruisers.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
You are old enough to remember "Yamahop" as a real word. Love it. The shaft drive bikes of that era required a whole different riding style, didnt they? The back end locked up as soon as you accelerated. Also it's like you said about the frames and suspension. Both were afterthoughts. They had a frame and suspension just because it had to to be a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
With all that power could they put a single sided shaft drive swing arm on it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts