Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finished the break-in period, and now that I can really rev where I want I need to comment on the distinct and annoying seat vibration beginning at 7k all the way up to redline. It is annoying and intrusive-- I think I'm shifting too early in my hard accelerations because the seat (and butt and man parts) start vibrating. I've noticed that it doesn't seem to affect the mirrors-- I still can clearly see what is behind me. It only happens above 7k. Bike is completely stock. This is much worse than other bikes I've been on-- my previous bikes (FZ1 and FZ6) I could take to redline with virtually no tingle on the bum.

Three questions:
1) Anybody else have this problem? Is this something I need to talk with the dealership / Kawasaki regarding warranty?
2) Is this going to get better after the bike has more miles on it?
3) Anything I could do to fix? There was a thread about somebody putting rubber washers (or equivalent) on the pillion screws in order to isolate it from the frame. I understand that you can balance the air header somehow (even with fuel injected bikes) in order to balance out the cylinders (equivalent to balancing the carb bank on older bikes). Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Chris...................

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think that is a common complaint on the N1K. I know I feel it on my 2012 around the same engine speed. the only sort of remedy i've heard is to change the sprocket which will lower the rpms thus giving you a little breathing room from the vibration. There have been some threads on which sprocket to choose as well as an article on the long term N1K on Motorcyclist online.

·
Registered
273 Posts
First off, who rides @ 7k? Crikey, you got a lead wrist!

I swear my N1K is one of the smoothest bikes I've ever owned.

In addition to the gearing, you might try adding some gel grips & heavier bar end weights, like a Throttlemeister throttle lock to give your hands a rest.
Lee

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine has smoothed out quite a bit with miles. I'm at about 4500. I hear it only gets better as the engine breaks in more.

Word also has it that the Ivan's upgrades help smooth the vibrations out as well. I can't speak from experience about that though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"First off, who rides @ 7k?" How funny. Short answer: Anybody that wants more than 85hp. We didn't buy the 650.

For a 2014 model bike I feel like I ought to be able to take it to redline without vibrations. This isn't a Harley.

I wonder what Ivan does that smooths out the vibrations? Ignition timing on each cylinder? Unfortunately, Ivan doesn't have an ECU reflash for the 2014 (yet).

I'm going to look into seat modifications-- I don't feel the vibrations through the handlebars or the footpegs.

I also was reading a thread about installing an Akro exhaust system and they said it smoothed out vibrations-- I wonder if it could be exhaust mounting?

Chris..................

·
Registered
92 Posts
On the FJR we had two ways to smooth things out: Add a power commander and perform regular throttle body sync's. I suspect both will help the N1K too.

Interestingly, the N1K is smoother at lower RPM's than the FJR, but the FJR is smoother at the higher RPM's.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Try installing some rubber washers under the tank to frame mount to raise the tank a bit. This give the front of the seat where it slides under a bit more clearance so it can't transmit as much vibration.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can't say I have noticed the vibration talked about and I agree about it being the smoothest bike I've owned. The most vibration I've noticed is mostly from the crap freeway surfaces here in SoCal! The N1K handles it well though, although I am certain with some suspension tuning it can be even better!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honestly I think the only reason for the vibration is the exhausts being mounted to the subframe. Put your heels further back resting on top of the cans and you'll feel where exactly the vibration is coming from (the exhausts) which transfers to the riders seat and I'm sure passenger's too. My RC8R with a loud Akra didn't have as much vibration as the ninja because it was rocking an under belly exhaust. Has anyone tried to take off both cans and ride the bike to feel the difference yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I searched for the word "vibration" because I am also feeling the vibration and wasn't positive if it was the road or my N1K. I had an Ivan-nized FZ1 and it was smooth as silk...

And I feeling at way less than 7k... It is slightly annoying...

But it looks like Ivan's got a kit for 2013... This will be my first mod.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I searched for the word "vibration" because I am also feeling the vibration and wasn't positive if it was the road or my N1K. I had an Ivan-nized FZ1 and it was smooth as silk...

And I feeling at way less than 7k... It is slightly annoying...

But it looks like Ivan's got a kit for 2013... This will be my first mod.....
Mine is the worst above 6k, but it is actually present pretty much from idle.
bars, foot pegs, frame.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about. 2 weeks ago I did a 700 mile weekend, often cruising between 70-90 on the backroads and highways and never felt a tingle. I wish all my former bikes were as smooth as the N1K.
Lee

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine had a noticeable vibration from the seat around 7k but has slowly gone away. I'm at about 1200 miles now. Pegs were doing it too initially but it didn't really bother me. I wouldn't have noticed if somebody hadn't said anything.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Honestly I think the only reason for the vibration is the exhausts being mounted to the subframe. Put your heels further back resting on top of the cans and you'll feel where exactly the vibration is coming from (the exhausts) which transfers to the riders seat and I'm sure passenger's too. My RC8R with a loud Akra didn't have as much vibration as the ninja because it was rocking an under belly exhaust. Has anyone tried to take off both cans and ride the bike to feel the difference yet?
I have a 2015 N1K. Coming from a Honda ST 1300, which has TWO balance shafts in a V4 engine, the Ninja has more vibration. I recently added the OEM KQR 29L saddlebags. They have a third attachment point behind the passenger pegs, and surprisingly when I rode the bike after adding the bags, most of the vibration I felt in the pegs and seat was gone!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah....... kawi's tend to be a tadd loud. Vibration is Normal. Just Be sure to tighten your Exhaust head bolts, and also your chain. I experienced a Click /Thump when I wheelie. I found it to be my chain. But yes, chatter is normal. Vibration isn't a factor in my situation. I suspect when you change tires, it might get better. Stock Rubber Sucks!! Good Luck

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
You can play with the rubber mounted pegs. A few well placed washers will compress the rubber more.

Still, dont judge vibration until you have 5000 miles on the bike. I feel like mine became way more smooth after break in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tonight I noticed that my 2013 vibrates to a level that's almost uncomfortable at 8K The sound she makes also changes significantly around 7 or 8 k. This is nothing like I've ever had to deal with in my previous 4 bikes of the past ten years. Hopefully it'll tame out over the next couple thousand miles or I suspect this bike will only last a year in my stable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tonight I noticed that my 2013 vibrates to a level that's almost uncomfortable at 8K The sound she makes also changes significantly around 7 or 8 k. This is nothing like I've ever had to deal with in my previous 4 bikes of the past ten years. Hopefully it'll tame out over the next couple thousand miles or I suspect this bike will only last a year in my stable.
Assuming that there isn't an actual problem with your bike, I've found that Ivan's ECU flash and PCV has reduced that vibration to the extent that I don't have an issue with it any more.

If you spend much time at 8k+ you'll doubly enjoy the Ivans+PCV improvements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a friend with the identical bike that I plan on swapping with for a bit to see if his does the same thing. Not sure if his doing the same will mean both of us have issues or that it's just natural for this bike, either way it'll be an interesting test.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts