Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought used Versys hard saddlebags (KQR 28 Liter) which look identical to Ninja 1000 hard cases but they don’t have the bottom heat shields. Apparently the heat shields are not sold separately? Any suggestions on how one can make-do?

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can always buy an aluminum plate, some standoffs, and appropriately sized fasteners and make your own heat shield.

Then again, unless you have an exhaust that blow directly at the pannier, you'll probably be okay. I've had Givi V35 panniers on my VFR1200F, and the 2Bro M5 titanium can I shortened to fit under it came within an inch of it. The can blow rearward about parallel to the bottom of the V35, which has no heat shield. I've had no problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your suggestions. I have a 2019 Ninja 1000 and I feel that exhaust does blow directly on the underside of the panniers. That is probably why the N1K OEM panniers come with some metal shields under them. I bought the Versys panniers that don’t have the shields (I was wondering why the Versys panniers retail for a $100 less than the Ninja ones).

BTW, is it safe to put the adhesive tape style shields? Doesn’t the adhesive kind of melt in the heat?

You can always buy an aluminum plate, some standoffs, and appropriately sized fasteners and make your own heat shield.

Then again, unless you have an exhaust that blow directly at the pannier, you'll probably be okay. I've had Givi V35 panniers on my VFR1200F, and the 2Bro M5 titanium can I shortened to fit under it came within an inch of it. The can blow rearward about parallel to the bottom of the V35, which has no heat shield. I've had no problem.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Stick-on shields should work just fine, or nothing at all. I've put all kinds of miles on N1ks (2011, 2014), rolled into the motel and put the luggage right on a chair or bed. I use to feel it thinking there MUST be a reason for the heat shields but they have never been more than mildly warm. Unless they tweaked something on the '17-'19 you should be fine with stock exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I just ordered a stick
-on one -

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-050501-Tunnel-Shield/dp/B000E243AW/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?keywords=heat+shield&qid=1582095283&sr=8-13

I hope this will do the job. BTW, is this blue one your ride? Looks slick.

Stick-on shields should work just fine, or nothing at all. I've put all kinds of miles on N1ks (2011, 2014), rolled into the motel and put the luggage right on a chair or bed. I use to feel it thinking there MUST be a reason for the heat shields but they have never been more than mildly warm. Unless they tweaked something on the '17-'19 you should be fine with stock exhaust.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Actually, the blue one in my avatar was run off the road by a tanker truck last summer in northern Canada on the way to Alaska. >68k miles on it. It was a great bike. I have an '18 in the garage now just waiting until I can ride again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch.
But 68k+ miles on a bike - Respect!

Actually, the blue one in my avatar was run off the road by a tanker truck last summer in northern Canada on the way to Alaska. >68k miles on it. It was a great bike. I have an '18 in the garage now just waiting until I can ride again.

·
Registered
464 Posts
BTW, is it safe to put the adhesive tape style shields? Doesn’t the adhesive kind of melt in the heat?
If you left your bike out in mid day sun on a hot Summer day, the panniers will likely get hotter than normal exhaust gas blowing on it will produce.

Now I say normal exhaust gas... because if you've got your ECU fuel remapped for max power (max power typically requires slightly richer than stoichiometric ratio) and removed off-throttle fuel cut (to reduce engine braking), it is entirely possible that the engine might dump more unburnt fuel into the exhaust. It isn't unheard off for the exhaust to belch flames on decel. I'm sure we've all seen YT vids of extreme cases (some folks do it on purpose). I think the metal plate heat shields are meant to prevent that sort of thing from doing harm to the panniers. As OEM mfr, they have to cover most contingencies. So if you got stock ECU and stock exhaust and your engine is running well, I don't think your exhaust will get that hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts