Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the Vance and Hines Urban Brawlers for my 14, and I am honestly on the fence about them. Price is nice, the look is pretty good, and the sound is a bit loud. When I say loud, I just mean I don't particularly love the tone. I prefer a deeper tone. That being said, baffles seemed to be the obvious solution, but I wasn't willing to spend $80+ on them. So I ordered some generic 2"x4" baffles on eBay. Total cost was $30ish shipped via USPS Priority, so I got them in two days. I got a chance to install them this afternoon. It took forever...at least 5 minutes. While they do not fit the pipes perfect as far as the circumference is concerned, they fit good enough and do a great job. The reality is though, unless you are looking into them, you don't really see them that much anyway (could paint them black if you wanted). They do their job very well though. Not only is the annoying buzzing tone now deeper, but it feels like I got a bit of torque back. For the low price point, I am very happy with the results. I can't see anyone not being happy with this mod if you like the brawlers, but don't love the sound. Will I keep the brawlers as a result? Well, for a little while until I go with a whole system.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
You were right to look for an alternative. $80 baffles on a $280 slip-on seems excessive.
Your legwork will save someone the aggravation. The Forum works.

So far I like the sound. At least in the garage. Still waiting to emerge from hibernation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just installed mine on tuesday, but besides a 10 second fire up, I haven't had a chance to ride with them on. These baffles look pretty nice as a cheap option, and painted black would hide well. Thanks for the write up. I will keep these in mind for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something I forgot to mention. I recently installed the 16 tooth front sprocket, and with the OEM mufflers, I finally stopped shifting into "7th". However, when I installed the brawlers, that problem came back. The tone of the brawlers at 70 in 6th made me want to shift into "7th" again. After installing the baffles, that problem has been eliminated, and I am no longer searching for a phantom gear again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the look of those pipes much better than the stock ones on the N1k. I just wondered how the neighbors would like them while idling between the houses at 0500 when I'm warming up the bike to go to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and i had seen these pipes on a Ninja 1000 at the Moto GP at Philip Island,
Asked the owner to start the bike so we could hear them and that is what sold them.
We love them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the look of those pipes much better than the stock ones on the N1k. I just wondered how the neighbors would like them while idling between the houses at 0500 when I'm warming up the bike to go to work.

My neighbor works 3rd shift, or least I think third shift. When I leave in the AM, around 5:30, he has been in bed for a couple hours...

He complained about my bone stock exhaust since I was still in the habit of blipping the throttle a bunch right after starting. My last bike was carb'd and needed that if I drove off before things warmed up enough to turn off the choke..

Anyway, I got out of the habit AND then installed the urban brawlers.. I start the bike right before I Put my helmet on so I'm idling < 1 minute, back out of the carport and drive off. In my case I drive off (600 feet or so) without touching the throttle...

So far (been 5 months?) he hasn't complained about the sound...

One big thing.. I'm in the boonies and we are all on 5 acres, although his house is only 400-500 feet away. In a more urban environment it might be different but low rpm/idle doesn't seem as bad.

The exhaust is loud though.. Another neighbor who gets up at OMG it's early (like 3AM) said he can easily hear me he is sitting on the back porch smoking when I get off the dirt and onto the pavement. That's a good 1.5-2 miles away, although I am usually accelerating to amusing speeds before I slow back down to 55.

~Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
<snip> So I ordered some generic 2"x4" baffles on eBay. Total cost was $30ish shipped via USPS Priority, so I got them in two days. I got a chance to install them this afternoon. It took forever...at least 5 minutes.<snip>.
Do you have a link of what you got. For that price I may give them a try. I like how the Urban Brawlers sound but I rode without my earplugs once and OMG was that loud..

~Mark

·
Registered
454 Posts
To revive this thread, I would be interested in picking up the vance and hines baffles as I've heard they give a really good change of pitch to the urban brawlers...but they aren't $80 any more...they cost $150 now....

:(

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I pulled my baffles out after about a month after you run them for awhile they dont seem loud at all.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ya, I agree with Mark, I don't find them that loud at all!!

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Just wrote on another thread about them. They don't quite fit snugly in the Brawlers, there's a bit of a gap. They lower the sound slightly, but more so just cut out drone at cruising RPM's. I may stuff them full of some sound muffling material to see if it changes it, but for $20 I'm not exactly upset about what I got. With the stock header I don't feel like these are loud at all when riding.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Hi,

What is exactly the diameter?
I found them: 48mm baffle and I was wondering if they will fit? I can cut and reduce them with no problem but the diameter is the most important

thx
52mm is pretty snug if memory serves.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have 2 v&h baffles I could sell if someone needs them...I put one in the top of each side and it's perfect for me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts