Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 20/21 models, is there a good reason Kawasaki wants these to be under the passenger seat? I bought it thinking it would go where the cut out is in the dash, but that must be for the 12v socket?
Not sure when I'd ever use this under the seat? I've got a double USB that I just fastened to the bars previously, so I guess I'll be doing that again. Was hoping for more of a factory install.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm a bit confused... I thought the 2020+ has a similar outlet location like on '17-19, no? Like this? Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX USB socket Ninja 1000SX 2020 | Genuine Accessories | MCO Bikes Ltd

Personally, I wouldn't pay the stupid high price for the Kawi OEM kit. I bought mine off Amazon. If you do a search for "motorcycle USB outlet", you'll see a whole lot of them pop up. I bought one that was back-lit, but you can also get one that has a voltmeter built in. These obviously won't have the matching OEM plug, which I suppose it's Kawi's way of forcing some folks to bend over for the OEM kit. If you are okay with splicing wires, then it's no big deal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has the cut out for that. I suspect that's where the lighter type socket goes.
I wouldn't have paid the price either, but I wanted the factory dash look and the factory plug.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can get a dual USB thing that plugs into the 12v socket.
That is what I did. I went ahead and splurged on the OEM 12-Volt Power Port for my 2017, but have rarely used it. I was going to swap it out for a dual USB port (W/Voltmeter); but as a more affordable option, I decided to look for a dual USB adapter that included a USB C Port.

Found this on Amazon, and it is working well so far.

Amazon.com: AUKEY Car Charger Compatible with iPhone 12/12 Mini/12 Pro/12 Pro Max,30W USB C Car Charger with Metal Dual Port,Fast Car Charger Adapter with PPS&QC 3.0 and Mini Flush Fit for iPad, Samsung,Google

It has popped out a little when riding over a bumpy road, but it stayed in the port. I just pushed it back in and continued charging without any issues. Of importance to me was that it "quick charged" my Google Phone via the USB-C port. Additionally, the USB-A port gives me the necessary compatibility for charging older devices.

The manufacturer (AUKEY) offers similar devices with different USB configurations, for more connectivity options.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit confused... I thought the 2020+ has a similar outlet location like on '17-19, no? Like this? Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX USB socket Ninja 1000SX 2020 | Genuine Accessories | MCO Bikes Ltd

Personally, I wouldn't pay the stupid high price for the Kawi OEM kit. I bought mine off Amazon. If you do a search for "motorcycle USB outlet", you'll see a whole lot of them pop up. I bought one that was back-lit, but you can also get one that has a voltmeter built in. These obviously won't have the matching OEM plug, which I suppose it's Kawi's way of forcing some folks to bend over for the OEM kit. If you are okay with splicing wires, then it's no big deal.
I put one of these on my BMW ADV bike. works great. I charge my phone while riding. Only $14.

Maybe you can make one fit up by the dash or by the side panel.
I ordered one of these from Amazon. Should fit nicely in the dash.
I still wonder though, why put it under the seat?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Under the passenger seat seems like a strange (= less than useful) place for that socket. I'm with Zaph and have the aluminum body dual USB with voltmeter in the dash spot of my '18. Easy accessibility when you need it for phone, tablet and GPS. It even charges my camera when if I get overzealous shooting video.
I guess I can understand folks wanting to keep everything box stock but I have no problem modifying something to make it better suit my needs.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Interesting. :unsure: Maybe Kawi meant for that under seat connection more for heated gear? Does the 2020+ Owners Manual not mention anything about it?

·
Registered
233 Posts
heated gear?
run power to a tail bag.
or into the saddlebags I guess?
Also to charge a phone (not everyone uses them for navigation). Might also be useful for a rear GoPro mount or some fancy aftermarket datalogging gear if you do trackdays. Could probably run aftermarket LED lights off of it too, I suppose. I'm sure there's plenty of other uses. It's not the norm for sure, but it's far from useless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was looking for the factory USB for the front but at the cost Kawasaki were asking I put my own in, and so much cheaper. ($23 Aussie dollars delivered).

I then used the factory wiring (with a change of the factory plug).

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire Vehicle
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does that underseat plug go straight to the battery or is it switched like the one that goes to the dash? Would suck getting stuck somewhere with a dead bike battery because you left something charging straight to the bike's battery.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
184 Posts

I installed a cigarette lighter style plug under the seat. Really handy for firing up the tire inflator or charging a phone. Hooks direct to the battery but as long as nothing is plugged in there’s no drain on the battery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts