Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Bob, they sent you the crated bike ? How did you unload it, and did you have it dropped at your house?

I know some of the cycle trader ads are bs, but if even a few are on the level, it looks like a way to save thousands.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had a 2011 Z1000, but wanted ABS. With ABS, 30% fewer motorcycle deaths. Two months ago, I'm looking at Craigslist, and there's a brand new 2019 N1K for $7995 at a dealer in Salem Or. Bike had one mile on it. I immediately bought it over the phone with my VISA card. Saved $4000. Point is, there are some hurting dealers out there with this Kung Fu Flu, and you might be able to work a great deal on a 2019. Bring Cash! And the difference in ride is amazing! They shipped me the bike for $300.
Found my '18 off Cycle Trader before the Pandemic Pandemonium. Had a $500 off Kawi Bucks from attending one of their Demo Days event. The 2020 got me seriously looking at the Ninja 1000 again and I liked every added feature/improvement on the '20, but at the end of the day, I just couldn't justify paying $4-5k more over the leftover '18.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry if this is a thread theft, but I'm interested in swapping some of my 14 parts onto a 2020; specifically the Sargent seat and windscreen. Anybody know if they'll fit? I know the dealer is gonna give me nothing for my trade, so might as well put the stock parts back on if the good stuff will fit the 20. I may even keep my bags if they fit the new bikes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry if this is a thread theft, but I'm interested in swapping some of my 14 parts onto a 2020; specifically the Sargent seat and windscreen. Anybody know if they'll fit? I know the dealer is gonna give me nothing for my trade, so might as well put the stock parts back on if the good stuff will fit the 20. I may even keep my bags if they fit the new bikes.
I bought a Corbin seat for my 2011 Z1000. It fits my 2019 N1K, so I saved $300

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bob, they sent you the crated bike ? How did you unload it, and did you have it dropped at your house?

I know some of the cycle trader ads are bs, but if even a few are on the level, it looks like a way to save thousands.
Not crated, showroom, was dropped off at my house.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My deal tanked at the last minute. They backed off my trade value by $1000! My 2013 (no abs) has to be worth more than 3k. They consider 30,000 miles "high mileage", but it's one of the lowest mileage bikes I've ever sold. Hey, we ride!
I'm listing it on local CL and FB Marketplace for what I think is a fire sale price: $4500. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but once it's gone I can find that new model on sale and not get dinged on a trade.

IMG_0346.JPG

I guess I should list it here too. I'll look at it next.

Anyway, thanks for the responses here. Always encouraging and good food for thought.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bikes depreciate so quickly here in the US. It's ridiculous if you're a seller. OTOH, used bike buyers are always reaping the benefits...until they sell their used bike!

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
30k is nothing, but it does end up being "high miles" when you are trying to sell as theres so many ninja 1000's around with fewer miles.

Dont get hung up on trade value. That's a meaningless number. I could give you 10,000 for the old bike if you agreed to by the new one for 24,000.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Dont get hung up on trade value. That's a meaningless number. I could give you 10,000 for the old bike if you agreed to by the new one for 24,000.
Excellent point. I guess I just had stars in my eyes when I saw that '19 for only $9950! Buying it outright and having my '13 in reserve probably makes the most sense. Right? Just when I had my garage back down to one bike. Oh the problems. (croc tears)

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
You know, our friend OCL did something similar. He has the newer bike as well as the old one.

At 9950, theres no money in that deal, for the shop. They would have to add another 1500, in fees, or steal your trade to make that worthwhile.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yup. That's what I did and I don't regret it one bit.

I bought my 2018 N1k (sold my '15 CBR600rr for it), and fell in love completely. I also had an older VFR800 VTEC for commuting duties, which had 65k miles on it. My plan was to use the N1k for weekend fun and continue to use the fully paid for, fully depreciated, but well running VFR800 for commuting duties. It worked fine for a while until I realized the VFR needed a valve inspection badly, and front steering stem bearings. Hmmmm...should I put in the time and effort to get the VFR right? Then the clutch basket started to rattle when cold. One day I just said Screw this! One Sunday morning I rode the VFR800 up in the mountains one last time, and on the way home I trade her in. for a clean, 13k mile 2012 N1k at a nearby dealership. Wife was....WTF!!!! :mad: It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission as they say.

The '12 N1k is now my daily commuter. She is a beast for sure! It is fun to commute on this bike. They are so FAST! Every day is a fun day 2x a day! Not that I didn't have fun on the VFR. But after experiencing my 2018 N1k, I realized I had been drinking the Honda Cool Aid for far too long and was brainwashed into thinking it was a better bike. I even entertained the idea of trading in my VFR800 for a newer VFR800. What mistake of epic proportions that would have been! :LOL:

Truth be told, my 2012 is MORE FUN than my fully electronic 2018...until it rains. LOL! I do prefer riding the '12 up in the mountains. She's just faster and easier to flick into corners because she's lighter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Agree with RC on the trade in value, it will fall where it will. $10k for a 2019 is A LOT of bike for that price. I paid $10.5k OTD for my 2018 brand new without even haggling with my dealership. I bought mine end of year. Bikes just don't hold their value. Same happens to any make. Unless it's a KTM Adventure bike or dual sport, expect trade in values or resale values to be depressing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
11-13 Gen 1. Givi luggage with rack, Few US bikes had ABS

14-16 Gen 2. All came with ABS & TC. Factory luggage attachment points / passenger handles and luggage were an option.

17-19 added intelligent braking / cornering abs, Led lighting and body refreshed with new gauge pod. Minor tweak to rear suspension, luggage handles became stock with or without luggage and throttle smoothness is alittle better then previous years. No Ivan's tune yet. Seems as if every thing is woolrich based.
20- better throttle still, Cruise Control, a minor tweak to suspension, new gauge pod, quick shifter, OEM tires are S22s.

Hopefully I didnt add anything wrong and I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but maybe that will help.
Don't know where you are from but if you go on Cycle trader there are some new old stock 2016 listed. You could probably get a great deal

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have enjoyed my 2013 more than I anticipated. Didn't expect to have it this long or for it to be such a competent touring bike. That said, I'd like a newer model that has the more integrated bags. Plus, mine isn't ABS and I'd like to have that.

I haven't kept up on the new generations out there so I'm hoping someone can fill me in on the generation(s) that have come after 2013. I know traction control is available, but it seems that the factory luggage mounts a lot easier on newer models and fits more snug against the bike.

Thanks.
Don't know where you are from but if you go on Cycle trader there are some new old stock 2016, 2018 and 2019 listed. You could probably get a great deal

21 - 38 of 38 Posts