Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enjoyed my 2013 more than I anticipated. Didn't expect to have it this long or for it to be such a competent touring bike. That said, I'd like a newer model that has the more integrated bags. Plus, mine isn't ABS and I'd like to have that.

I haven't kept up on the new generations out there so I'm hoping someone can fill me in on the generation(s) that have come after 2013. I know traction control is available, but it seems that the factory luggage mounts a lot easier on newer models and fits more snug against the bike.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
11-13 Gen 1. Givi luggage with rack, Few US bikes had ABS

14-16 Gen 2. All came with ABS & TC. Factory luggage attachment points / passenger handles and luggage were an option.

17-19 added intelligent braking / cornering abs, Led lighting and body refreshed with new gauge pod. Minor tweak to rear suspension, luggage handles became stock with or without luggage and throttle smoothness is alittle better then previous years. No Ivan's tune yet. Seems as if every thing is woolrich based.
20- better throttle still, Cruise Control, a minor tweak to suspension, new gauge pod, quick shifter, OEM tires are S22s.

Hopefully I didnt add anything wrong and I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but maybe that will help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avintage69...thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I kept finding bits of it here and there and everywhere, but you put it all in one spot for me. Appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In addition, 2020 quick shifter up and down. If you go with a late model and want the bags, a member here (and he wrote a review) purchased them from a dealer in the UK at a substantially reduced price over US dealers.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
@Eagle Six thank you. Went ahead and corrected it.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
794 Posts
The spec sheet differences between models have been shown but something that hasn't been mentioned is that the vibrations are much better controlled on the 2017-2019 models. I've owned a 2011 and 2014 and was bugged by vibration on both. My 2018 has much better vibration control. It doesn't seem like they did anything different in this respect but unless I just happened to get a smooth running model, my 2018 has a lot less vibration. So much so on a 400 mile trip the other day I put it in 4th gear cruising 65-85mph mph (7k-8k rpm) with no issues. The older bike vibrations came alive between 5k-6k rpm and would numb my hands in a few minutes.

Other unmentioned refinements:
2014 & up models moved the R/R from it's horrible exposed position by the rear tire up inside the fairing. They also got rid of the original EXUP valve in the exhaust pipe of 2011 models.
2017 models added extra pigtails and decent fusing for aux circuits (7.5A & 15A). 2011-16 bikes had a 2A aux circuit. The 15A circuit was for Kawasaki's factory available heated grips.

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good catch. I hadn't noticed the clutch wasn't mentioned but yes the clutch is greatly improved and a much lighter pull on the '17 series bikes.
That reminded me of something I didn't like which was the engine braking on the '17 series was way less than the '14 series which was much less than the '11 series. Granted, the '11 engine braking was a bit much, the '14 was perfect and the '18 has lots less.
Also, the brakes got a significant upgrade on the '14 series.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are only two things I would like my '12 to have: the slipper clutch and the LED headlights. Otherwise, I much prefer riding the '12 with no electronic nannies. It's so much more direct, which makes it more fun to ride. And I'm quite sure it is faster than the newer bikes, which are heavier.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ferdinand- go on to Youtube and type the bike into a search. There are many reviews and hardly any of them have more than minor or nitpicky complaints about the 2020. The additions they made, like the new screen and a few others, are really good improvements.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
44 Posts
I just remembered that they made it easy to remove the front seat too now.
Nope, still requires the removal of the same 2 bolts after removing the rear seat with the lock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All good info. Lots to take in. I'm looking hard at a trade for a new 2019. I'm still confused about the hard luggage for this year tho. Is it really hard to find? I haven't asked the dealer yet. I haven't had much luck in the past with sport bikes and factory luggage. I love the way the Kaw luggage fits on these newer bikes, but if it's going to be impossible to find I might just stick with my 13 and soft luggage.

Where's the go-to source for the factory bags?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Should be easy to find luggage. I got it for my '18 last October from the dealer that sold me the bike (20% parts discount) but it's available on eBay as well. The KQR luggage is setup is pretty slick because it works with several bikes. You get it in 3 pieces, luggage, fitment kit, lock kit. You also get the color match panels that go with your bike's color. You have to make sure the fitment kit is for the '19 Ninja. It's different for the Versys and other bikes. If you buy the parts, this is an invaluable video on how to set up the lock set.
to key it to the bike.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000 ABS
6 Posts
All good info. Lots to take in. I'm looking hard at a trade for a new 2019. I'm still confused about the hard luggage for this year tho. Is it really hard to find? I haven't asked the dealer yet. I haven't had much luck in the past with sport bikes and factory luggage. I love the way the Kaw luggage fits on these newer bikes, but if it's going to be impossible to find I might just stick with my 13 and soft luggage.

I went this route, and ended up saving about 20% or so. I didn't get the luggage though. It's a tad buzzy through break-in, but I'm told that gets better the more miles you have on it. That probably doesn't answer any questions, but...

·
Registered
16 Posts

the factory? I bought a brand new left over 18 7 months ago that had the bags included.Smoking deal.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Got my '18 Ninja last October (2019) and had no problem getting the bags through the dealer (20% discount). They're also on eBay.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had a 2011 Z1000, but wanted ABS. With ABS, 30% fewer motorcycle deaths. Two months ago, I'm looking at Craigslist, and there's a brand new 2019 N1K for $7995 at a dealer in Salem Or. Bike had one mile on it. I immediately bought it over the phone with my VISA card. Saved $4000. Point is, there are some hurting dealers out there with this Kung Fu Flu, and you might be able to work a great deal on a 2019. Bring Cash! And the difference in ride is amazing! They shipped me the bike for $300.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts