Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,746 Posts
What gs did you have? I know you know this, but back then, people raced, for real. Not that it's fake,now, but when you say "I raced a gs" you could be talking about a GS400, 425, 550, 700, 750 or 1000. I don't remember anyone racing their gs650, but the others were raced.

Then you mix in Yamahas and Kawasaki's 2 strokes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What gs did you have? I know you know this, but back then, people raced, for real. Not that it's fake,now, but when you say "I raced a gs" you could be talking about a GS400, 425, 550, 700, 750 or 1000. I don't remember anyone racing their gs650, but the others were raced.

Then you mix in Yamahas and Kawasaki's 2 strokes.
It's funny you say that. Old guys will forever say, "...back when we used to race, men were men and sheep...." We did pretty good considering the absolute crap we were on.

What these kids are doing on bikes today is truly amazing and the bikes they're on are truly amazing. Mark Marquez does things on a motorcycle that people didn't think was physically possible.

My first street bike was a 1969 Kawasaki 350 Avenger A7 which I could never keep running. I upgraded to a Honda CB350 which was indestructible. I rode it 30 miles getting home one day with no oil in the engine after the drain plug fell out. One rocker arm later it was good to go again. Fast forward a few amazing RDs later and I got my first brand new bike, a 1977 GS750 (which was mind blowing the first time you ran it through the gears). Loved, loved, loved the red instruments. Ford/Chevy, Kawasaki/Suzuki. For some reason I became a Suzuki guy. I couldn't afford a CB750 when they first came out in '69 and I'm sorry I missed out on that. I got a GS1000S after the 750 and it was equally amazing. My buddy (who I'm blessed enough to still ride with today) took the Kawasaki path. That was an epic portion of our lives. Every moment not working or sleeping was spent going as fast as possible on California twisties or a track when we could swing it (money was always tight).

My current riding partner raced GS 450s, 750s, 1000s and 1100s. He won several AFM championships and ran in the AMA for a bit. He committed to racing while not having two pennies to rub together and I went to school and got a real job.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts