Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE, 2022 Z900RS, 2022 SV650
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Ohlins rear shock, gold coloured front forks, stronger brembo front brakes, was suggested.
Similar but revised graphics, Arrival, Markets TBA.

Rob.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Recently viewed a video regarding this bike. I am very interested. My only disappointment so far is that is is a bit porky, but not as heavy as our SX. I would love to have a comfortable, light, naked bike with a torque rich motor. I am aware of the offerings from European brands but prefer to stick with Japanese bikes for their reliability, ease of maintenance and parts availability.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Recently viewed a video regarding this bike. I am very interested. My only disappointment so far is that is is a bit porky, but not as heavy as our SX. I would love to have a comfortable, light, naked bike with a torque rich motor. I am aware of the offerings from European brands but prefer to stick with Japanese bikes for their reliability, ease of maintenance and parts availability.
When I was bike-shopping a few months back I had narrowed choices to a Tracer 900 GT, another N1K or the Z900RS. The latter fell into my hands literally on the day I sold my '16 FJR1300A. It was kismet really so I bought her, a lightly used 2021 Z900RS and couldn't be happier w/it.

Coming off my former 680 lb. FJR, I can tell you that, in comparison, the Z900RS is by no means porky. She performs above any expectation I had in regards to motor, brakes, suspension and comfort. The stock exhaust is perfect and she makes all the right sounds, as far as I'm concerned. To that point, I won't be modding the exhaust or seeking out more power as I think everything on this bike is in proper proportion for its intended purposes. I will, however, get the ECU flashed because it has the throttle stumble so prevalent in current day FI systems. The only other engine mod will be a 16 tooth front sprocket to tame it down a bit.

I've been modding her piece by piece, shaping her into 'my' perfect version of a lightweight UJM/ST. Almost there. Just a few more pieces to go, like the incoming bikini fairing, and the aforementioned flash/16t sprocket and then blammo, done. I can highly recommend this bike. She is quite likely the prettiest bike I've ever owned, possibly the most practical bike I've ever owned and likely the last bike I will ever own.
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
As for the SE version of the bike, none are currently slated for the US anyway.

The OE suspension seems to be the point of contention w/some RS owners, just like so many other bikes. Many RS owners have gone and done suspension mods to their rides to make them the equivalent of the SE version, likely a much less expensive alternative.

Even at 230 lbs., I don't find any issues w/the suspension/brakes but then again, I ride like a sissy-baby-nancy girl and ride the bike the way it was likely intended to be ridden when it was designed. I'm not racing or dragging knees and the stock systems work well for me. YMMV.

Besides, I'm in love w/the green/yellow color combo of the '20-21 model years. I often find myself just staring at the bike in the garage, she's so darn pretty. Not a bad angle on her.
Lee

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I really like the Z900 platform. The 948cc is a newer inline4 design and smoother than our older 1043cc. If they ever see fit to do a Ninja 900 SX version, I'd be mighty interested. As it right now, I have no need for a naked, much less a retro. The premium bits on the SE are sweet but will undoubtedly jack the price up to a different stratospheric layer, one that I'm not sure Kawi would do well competing in here in the US market.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Better suspension, better brakes, and +10 horsepower. Same frame, and a full power engine.

Who would want that when you can have a bike that looks like my dad's bike?

Me. I made my decision- had the opportunity to buy either. I chose the one that called to me. I'm 60. Been riding for 45 years. Don't need any more brake, suspension or power than what the Z900RS offers. And my bike is 10x the looker the Z900 is.
Lee

·
Registered
815 Posts
Looks are completely subjective.

I am 60 years old and would love to have a Japanese naked bike with top shelf suspension, brakes and a torque rich motor with a curb (wet) weight under 440 pounds. Better brakes and suspension are a benefit for any rider, especially brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Johnny, it would be nice to have the factory option and not have to build them ourselves.

If a stock Kawasaki shock is "enough", it's not something I would be proud of.

The UK shows pricing on this z900se. Its priced almost identically to the base z900rs. I think the only reason to not buy it, and buy the z900rs is because the z900se is built in Thailand. At that point, you would be racist because the z900se is way more bike. I could think of no other reason. It wont be long until we see older, skinheads riding the z900rs, base model, since the upgraded rs wont be available for a year.

The retro look is cool in the way that the old guy who drives the 1974 Lincoln thinks his car is cool. The poor old guy never realizes that the 1973 cars, or motorcycles were state of the art machines....in 1974. No one was building for a look, it was the best, and in the Japanese motorcycle topic, the cheapest way it could be done. That's still true.

At least the Lincoln was large, and sort of like an suv. It would be nice to take a trip in. I cant think of a good use for a retro motorcycle.

·
Registered
318 Posts
And that's what makes America great- freedom of choice. You ride what makes you happy, I'll ride what suits my needs/wants/desires. I would expect nothing less than a contrarian opinion from RCC- it's your stock & trade.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Looks are completely subjective.

I am 60 years old and would love to have a Japanese naked bike with top shelf suspension, brakes and a torque rich motor with a curb (wet) weight under 440 pounds. Better brakes and suspension are a benefit for any rider, especially brakes.
You're free to buy whatever suits your needs. You like the Z900 better- go for it. Me, I feel otherwise. I think the Z900 is interesting in its appearance but no way would I ever choose that bike in a beauty contest over the Z900RS. And like I said, the RS offers all the performance I need. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I thought this thread was about (as started by slower and slower) the potential new Z900SE, not a comparison between the RS and SE?

Spectorman maybe you can start an RS thread since it's so important to you. Then you can repeat "suits my needs" 100 more times, and tell everyone how much you like it over everything else.

Me, I found the topic of the thread interesting, which is what brought me to it, and for some strange reason I did not feel the urge to compare it to one of my other bikes that has nothing at all to do with the what the OP's purpose for the thread was.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I thought this thread was about (as started by slower and slower) the potential new Z900SE, not a comparison between the RS and SE?

Spectorman maybe you can start an RS thread since it's so important to you. Then you can repeat "suits my needs" 100 more times, and tell everyone how much you like it over everything else.

Me, I found the topic of the thread interesting, which is what brought me to it, and for some strange reason I did not feel the urge to compare it to one of my other bikes that has nothing at all to do with the what the OP's purpose for the thread was.
This week I've seen quite a few Asian girls at work. Around 5 feet tall, maybe 100 pounds, no tits, and a small but perky butt. They certainly "suit my needs"

The SE looks great. One of the reasons I never got a Z900 is because it is the ugliest bike I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Rock, I think you would feel the same way if you still ha 47 more payments on a z900rs.

I'll bet we don't see the high end z900 here. I think this bike was built for the z900 race series. Most Americans are not smart enough to pay for good brakes and suspension.

Suit my needs? I would drive a car before I bought a motorcycle because it "suited my needs", or ride an ***, like Jesus did.

It won't let me post the video, but Google "z900 cup". They have some cool bikes, and riders who would understand why better brakes are worth paying LESS for. That's where this is pure comedy. This upgraded bike costs less!

·
Registered
318 Posts

It was a simple explanation, a comparison since I already own an RS. So sorry it offended your girlish sensibilities. Maybe you and RCC can give each other a back massage to calm each other down and yet still demonstrate your manliness to each other.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts