Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Kids!

I'm an MSF RiderCoach from SW Missouri. Currently I have a 2010 Honda NT700V (sport tourer) and a 2008 Ninjette (green, of course!:D)

The last two days I had the AWESOME opportunity to work with the Suzuki Demo Team at a local Suzuki/Kawi dealership. I had never ridden a liter bike before, but, truly, I felt I OWED it to my students to do so.:rolleyes: My neighbor was going to let me ride his 2000 'Busa, but I didn't get it done before he sold it. So when this gig came up, I jumped on it! For two, eight-hour days, I rode all of the sportbikes they had (yes, including the 'Busa :eek:) and had an absolute BLAST!!!!! I am NOT a speed freak by any stretch, so I have no interest whatsoever in pushing a liter bike to its max. However, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the power in corners!!!:D:D:D And tight cloverleafs? OMGosh!!!! Incredible!!!

Anyway, a couple years ago when they came out with the NINJA 1000s with the green luggage, I was salivating BIG TIME. Unable to justify making the switch and not being particularly interested in a liter bike, I bought the Ninjette for fun, as well as having a beginner bike in the garage for my son when he's older, or anyone else meeting my standards for playing on it. Flash forward to yesterday: I finished up my day's work (yes, I got PAID to play on sport bikes for two days; seriously, I should've been paying THEM!!:D) and started looking around the dealership. Unbelievably, they have a NEW green 2013 ABS on the floor!!! I was WAAAAY too tired to ride it then (our route was 15-20 miles, which I rode about 10 times each day, plus a 70-mile roundtrip commute on the Ninjette; so after +/- 500 miles of riding over two solid days, I was pretty whipped), plus it's not dealer prepped yet, so they're going to let me ride a 2012 next week to see what I think. If I love it, can work out a good deal, get all the accessories I "need" :rolleyes:, and get my husband's blessing, I may join your club!!. He's been after me to get rid of a bike--yes, I still love him anyway :)--, so I told him I may have found a way to trade/sell two-for-one. But the real clincher is that Missouri REQUIRES me to own a bike for teach MC classes (MSF only requires us to "operate a motorcycle on a frequent and routine basis"), therefore, I can write it off on our taxes!!!:D:D:D

I need to have a bike that does it all, so accessory-wise, MUST haves include: Electronic cruise (I have an MCCruise on my Honda and they make one for the NINJA 1000!), GPS (move mine from the Honda; I also have a J&M CB/intercom/weather radio), side AND top luggage (Gotta haul my crap), an adjustable windshield with good winter protection, extra headlights (move my Denalis probably), and usable helmet locks.

I'll be looking around at the touring threads to see if this really is a good option for me. My Honda's stock seat and touring suspension are pretty cushy; I'm a little saddle sore from all my sportbike seat time, so that's a big consideration. I'm also somewhat concerned about the seat height. My Honda really is too tall for me, and the specs say the NINJA is a little taller yet. However, it is narrower, so that will help. I have the rear suspension on my Honda set five clicks (of 20) from the lowest setting, so I'll have to try something similar for my test ride. The other piece of that is I take my kid on the back sometimes. He's almost as big I as I am now, so those days are likely numbered because I'm not comfortable taking passengers who are bigger than I am.

Here's hoping that it all works out!!!

Lori

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome Bazininja!

I hope you work it out for a Ninja 1000., It seems like you would fit in here. Thanks for taking the time to share some of your story...

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Welcome, looking forward to the outcome, be prepared to purchase another seat or have yours reworked for better comfort, the bike is a blast to ride.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
367 Posts
I do fear, that you suspect it to be a great tourer, sadly it is not.
It's way more a sport machine then a tourer.
Seeing how you want to modify it, comfort wise etc ..., I fear you might be disappointed :(

Don't get me wrong you can tour on it (did a 28 day Europe trip with it), but touring comfort is really not on to par with the real sport touring machines.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Welcome! I hope it works out for you.

I have to agree with Experience_Matters here. There's a lot of sport in this sport tourer. Just be aware of that if you go forward with the N1K.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I owned an '05 Honda ST1300 for 3 years -- V4 engine and shaft drive. In that time, I put over 60,000 incredible miles on it. The bike was stone cold reliable and had some nice comforts like electric wind screen, heated seat, etc. It's kind of the little brother of the Goldwing. I added some mods to improve comfort for long trips, including a J&M CB with satellite radio. The bike had sport in its DNA, but it was more touring than sport. It also weighed well over 700 pounds. I dropped it twice in parking lots. I hit a deer and didn't go down, but had to replace the fairing completely (surprisingly, the insurance company didn't total it.).

Then I bought a '15 Ninja 1000. Over 200 pounds lighter. Yes, it lacks some creature comforts found in touring bikes, but it is a worthy platform for touring. For a while, both bikes were parked in my garage. Every time I planned to ride, it was the Ninja that called to me. The ST is a beautiful bike but when it sat un-ridden in my garage for over a year, it was time to sell it. I would buy the Ninja again in a heartbeat. The ST was great for high mileage on the Interstate. But I thoroughly enjoy the weekly day rides and also the extended trips on the Ninja ...always looking for roads with curves. (There are no bad roads in Colorado, FYI. Going back again in a couple of weeks.)

You will not regret buying the Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I owned an '05 Honda ST1300 for 3 years -- V4 engine and shaft drive. In that time, I put over 60,000 incredible miles on it. The bike was stone cold reliable and had some nice comforts like electric wind screen, heated seat, etc. It's kind of the little brother of the Goldwing. I added some mods to improve comfort for long trips, including a J&M CB with satellite radio. The bike had sport in its DNA, but it was more touring than sport. It also weighed well over 700 pounds. I dropped it twice in parking lots. I hit a deer and didn't go down, but had to replace the fairing completely (surprisingly, the insurance company didn't total it.).

Then I bought a '15 Ninja 1000. Over 200 pounds lighter. Yes, it lacks some creature comforts found in touring bikes, but it is a worthy platform for touring. For a while, both bikes were parked in my garage. Every time I planned to ride, it was the Ninja that called to me. The ST is a beautiful bike but when it sat un-ridden in my garage for over a year, it was time to sell it. I would buy the Ninja again in a heartbeat. The ST was great for high mileage on the Interstate. But I thoroughly enjoy the weekly day rides and also the extended trips on the Ninja ...always looking for roads with curves. (There are no bad roads in Colorado, FYI. Going back again in a couple of weeks.)

You will not regret buying the Ninja 1000.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm struggling with the sport vs touring issues just as you did. With a teenager at home, I'm still at the point in my life where I won't be doing any serious touring for some time yet,but part of the reason I bought the NT was because I was doing some overnight travel for teach MC classes. However, I just moved to Missouri from Iowa in January and only plan to teach classes 45 minutes from home. And as everyone knows, some of the best riding in the world is in the Ozarks and it's all right outside my door, so that makes the N1K VERY appealing. Interestingly, like you, when deciding whether to take the NT or the Ninjette, I find myself wanting to ride the Ninjette more, as long as I don't have to haul anybody or much of anything and it's at least in the 50's. It seems that with the N1K, I can pretty much have it all, provided I get a better seat (I rode one today and the seat was awful; heck, the Ninjette's is even better). I do like the seating position, but, dang, that bike is tall! The dealership is adding a lowering kit to the numbers, but I don't know how low to go, really. I'd really like it to fit me like the Ninjette does if it doesn't screw up the handling. +1 on the lighter weight!! I grunted my 5'2" frame into the side of the NT to raise it a little to get the side stand puck out of the way, and then decided to go test that on the N1K, and it was so much easier! I have struggled with the height and weight on that bike ever since I've had it; thus, I've never been 100% comfortable with it at slow speeds. Conversely, I did some slow maneuvers on the N1K and it was almost as easy as the Ninjette; lowering would likely help that, too.

Reactions: omniron

·
Registered
291 Posts
Loved the first post. I bought a Rostra cruise control for my 2011 but never installed it, because of the very difficult install to be honest. The place you mention seems to have a far better set up, but it is much more speedy.

You said something that has me at a miss, "power in the corners". i do not understand this comment. Love to hear a better explanation.

I LOVE my N1K, but to be honest I think without bar and a seat It would not be a long day bike for me. I love that I can Hooligan on it at will, and it is also upright and comfy, but the stock seat and bars were terrible IMHO.

Better tires do this bike a world of justice for sure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can easily see how the Ninja can suit some as a sports tourer,because of health reasons I down sized from two excellent sports tourers, a Concours and a KGT to the Ninja and an R1200S.By fitting a Concours screen and changing sprocket ratios 15< and 41>39 I find the bike suits me for longer rides.
I think Bazininja would find the large recognised 'sports tourer' a handful ,the point is the Ninja will more than keep up with them on the open road, and show them a clean set of heels in the twisties.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the latest: I found a new 2015 for the same money 4.5 hours away. I'm working a deal with them with the bags. I have tentatively sold my NT to a woman in Roswell, so that means a road trip!!:D I'm waiting to hear back from the school where I teach about buying my Ninjette for our training fleet. That way I can still ride it from time to time.:D

Another question: 4 yr extended warranty for $900 (ouch). Worth it or not?

·
Registered
370 Posts
...It seems that with the N1K, I can pretty much have it all, provided I get a better seat (I rode one today and the seat was awful; heck, the Ninjette's is even better).
Fortunately, there's a strong aftermarket seat industry for the N1K. I sometimes wonder if Kawasaki gets kickbacks from these seat companies to continue making uncomfortable stock ones.

One of the first mods I did shortly after buying my '15 N1K was a replacement seat. This time it was a Baldwin Saddle. Past bikes, I've used Corbin ...even rode to the Corbin factory in Hollister, CA to have a seat reshaped once. The Baldwin Saddle is good. I can run out a tank of fuel before I have to stop and stretch. Big improvement over the OEM seat. Others have extolled the virtues of their favorite brands, so you will have a good selection.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here's the latest: I found a new 2015 for the same money 4.5 hours away. I'm working a deal with them with the bags. I have tentatively sold my NT to a woman in Roswell, so that means a road trip!!:D I'm waiting to hear back from the school where I teach about buying my Ninjette for our training fleet. That way I can still ride it from time to time.:D

Another question: 4 yr extended warranty for $900 (ouch). Worth it or not?
I hope your deals all work out. I ride with two other guys who have previous generation N1Ks -- a 2011 and a 2013. They both have installed GIVI aftermarket bags. Good bikes. No complaints. But the fourth generation N1K with the higher 6th gear and the OEM panniers make it the best choice. I absolutely love the OEM saddlebags. They are very well designed and look great on the bike. I keep them on the bike even if I'm on just a day ride. Nice to have all that storage. The list price for the bags is something north of $1,200, but they are heavily discounted now that they've been available for a few years. I think I paid about $800 for mine.

Regarding the extended warranty... By the time I had around 5,000 miles on my N1K, which included a couple of extended, multi-day trips in neighboring states, I was ready for the extended warranty. No, there wasn't even a hint of problem with the bike. I was just sure I'd be keeping this bike for a while. Besides, the extended warranty is transferable if you sell it sooner.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Ive not seen a repair needed that was worth 900.00.

People, running quickshifters , have messed up transmissions. A occasionally noisy clutch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts