Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the suspension forum doesn't have much in it. Thought I would post here. I have a 2011 Ninja 1000, and at 205 lbs, I find it is pretty undersprung for me. When I ride with a passenger, it downright wallows in the turns. I've had bikes for 16 years, and haven't had one quite this bad. Other than that, I pretty much love the bike.

I've never done suspension modifications on a bike before. Has anyone done anything with their rear shocks on these yet? Suggestions? I can't even find any aftermarket offerings for this bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've not had to do anything, then again I haven't had time to set the sag or even get much riding on it. But I did talk to the folks a Traxxion and they can respring/valve the stock shock for less than $400.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, your front fork springs are 0.85 K springs.
According to RaceTech's spring rate charts you are undersprung.
In 2014, the went with stiffer fork springs of 1.0 K.

Dan at Traxxion is "The Man".

The real problem is the lack of compression damping adjustment on the rear and poor valving; similiar with the fork cartridges.

I have decided to go with AK-20 fork cartridges @ $1,100 and a Penske 8983 rear @ $925. Dan offered a 10% discount if I order both at the same time. You will have to pay a little extra for fork springs of the proper weight - about $100.

Dan can respring and revalve your stock rear shock for $375, but I figure if I'm in for a penny then I'm in for a pound LOL!

Also, bear in mind that the penske can be rebuilt over and over forever.
If you sell the bike in the future, but the stock stuff back on and take the AK-20's and Penske with you to your new ride. Quality stuff at a fair price and a good long-term investment that will pay dividends every time you ride the bike...

-Troydba

·
Registered
11,465 Posts
You'll love the suspension, and Dan is great to work with. I did just what you are goign to do to my Ninja.

My regret? The firs tmove I made was to have Traxxion rebuild my stock shock. I semi wish I'd have kept it and not boguht the Penske shock. Honest, that revalved stock shock was excellent. Its not like the Penske shock is bad. It is amazing, but so was the rebuilt stock part. The Penske is maybe a bit more comfortable riding, but thats it.

When you get your bike together, your first thought will be its too soft and they mixed up and sent you the wrong springs. No, they did not. Just trust it.. My biggest surprise was how comfortable this set-up is.

The best way I can describe it is it being like a VERY expensive foreign car. The 100,000 dollar Lexus. Comfortable as can be, but never gets out of hand, or wallowing, in turns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts